DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 AM

Default dw kits

i think I have decided on a dw, bad idea?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: dw kits

Better idea to put this post in the Drum Section and not General Discussion. Doh!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Your gear > Drums :) More viewers in there aswell.. GL
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
Well, we can make this a general discussion by discussing things about this decision other than the brand itself, right?

Standard prattle would be to say that everything is completely up to you. Nothing any of us say would really sway you anyway, and we all know that. So if you thought it was a bad idea, you wouldn't ask us in the first place, you'd just consider it a bad idea and leave it at that. What you're really looking for is for someone to validate to you that it isn't a bad idea, which is what you want to hear anyway, and then you'll move forward. Whether or not you're dreaming about it now because you don't have any money or if you have cash in hand and just need to find a kit to buy isn't being considered here.

However, you'll find drummers here who love them, and drummers who don't like them. I myself once owned TWO of them, and now I don't. That should tell you where I stand on the coveted brand. But others would think I was crazy.

In the end, just realize that any brand will not make you play any better. Only you can do that. If you have the drumming fire in your blood, you'll make trash cans sound good. If you don't, then those of us who do bless you for keeping the drumming industry alive! Good luck with your quest and practice practice practice!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, we can make this a general discussion by discussing things about this decision other than the brand itself, right?

In the end, just realize that any brand will not make you play any better. Only you can do that. If you have the drumming fire in your blood, you'll make trash cans sound good. If you don't, then those of us who do bless you for keeping the drumming industry alive! Good luck with your quest and practice practice practice!
What brand do you play?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Gold Member

While I agree with Bo that not one brand will make you play better, there are some drum brands that you may feel more comfortable behind, and because you are going to pay for and own this kit, you better feel comfortable behind it, haha.... If you DW, then get a DW, they are great kits. I personally wouldn't get one, but thats just me. Sometime you prefer what you prefer and everyone else is wrong. I just think there are better kits out there. For instance Yamaha and Pearl are much more precise and put much more effort into their shells, and dont get me started on the lugs and the hype. Anyway, it your decision ultimately.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Which DW kit are you considering?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

That is a vague question.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That depends. If you just bought one used for $1k in perfect condition, then no, go buy your mates a drink. If you paid $5k & now you're coming here to ask the question, then yes, because you should have done your homework first. If you haven't bought it yet, then go and do your homework so you don't have to ask the question, you already know the answer. Vague enough? :)
Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 AM

I think the only bad idea might be coming here and asking if buying x-brand kit is a bad idea. Everyone has their reasons to love one brand or hate another, and it is very difficult to compare what you value in a kit to what someone else does. The bottom line is that buying the kit you like is always a good idea. Even if you wind up learning that you don't like it later. Ignore the hype (and the anti-hype) and follow your ears.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Where did he go?

And Bo: "Standard prattle"? Outstanding semantics, my new favorite word. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That depends. Why have you decided on a DW?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
audiotech

If it's because his favorite drummer has one, then it's a bad idea.

Dennis
Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 PM
nhzoso

I have never heard one I did not think sounded great, I just do not like the look of the big Lugs at all. But I would still like to have one, especially if I could get it with the performance series lugs.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 PM

I have not bought a kit yet, I have been researching for years , Ive looked at all the pro kits, was going to yet a Yamaha, then I talked to my musician friends and asked them to guess which brand I was getting, and they all said DW, funny, I know.

I don't know which series yet. I have a Dunnet Classic Steel Snare, dunno if that matters? I like the sound of all the name brand pro kits really, I think the DW looks the coolest though, don't hate, Im trying to look at it as a whole.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have not bought a kit yet, I have been researching for years , Ive looked at all the pro kits, was going to yet a Yamaha, then I talked to my musician friends and asked them to guess which brand I was getting, and they all said DW, funny, I know.

I don't know which series yet. I have a Dunnet Classic Steel Snare, dunno if that matters? I like the sound of all the name brand pro kits really, I think the DW looks the coolest though, don't hate, Im trying to look at it as a whole.
Great avatar......

I have one like it myself.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Like previously stated,it depends on what you want to do with it.You would not go after a super model if you simply wanted to settle down and have a family,and on the flip side,you would not go after the farmers daughter if you wanted to run the red carpet every saturday night.

I like to look at your type of scenario as if its a Girl that everyone is telling you is hot,and you should go after...but you just dont see it.You see high maintenance.While the girl youre actually really into and are totally comfortable around,everyone is telling you is no good for you.

If youre needing to be consoled about the one everyone is telling you to go after,then its not for you.You know exactly which set catches your eye.That you would be proud to sit in front of.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have never heard a DW kit I didn't like either, but I have never heard one that wasn't mic'ed, eq'd, etc etc etc. So if you like how they sound, but number one can afford one, buy one. But if you have heard less expensive brands that sound as good buy one of those and save some money
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What brand do you play?
Sorry to have been away on this one. I usually say something (like dropping a hand grenade in the room) and then come back to it later to see how everyone reacts. But I figured the somewhat vague question deserved a somewhat vague answer.

At this point in my life, I've owned mostly all of the big names (except for Andy's Guru drums, Brady's, or Noble & Cooleys). And I've settled on my current Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite drums with a Stewart Copeland snare. My playing is pretty generic and just has to help me fit into the gigs I do (cover band stuff). My usual big gig supplies the drums for me, so in reality I don't need a kit at all, but I do like having the Tamas in the house to practice on.

But I did like DW before it was DW when a friend loaned me his old Camco's I needed for a theater job and didn't have a kit of my own. They were from the early 70s and the tom mounts weren't great but they sounded awesome. That round lug stuck in my head and years later I hung out with Johnny Hernandez from Oingo Boingo and he was using these new DW drums (nobody really played them yet) and a few years after that I had to get me a set.

In the end I think it was a case of "The grass is always greener on the other side". And just to be sure, I got myself another one thinking maybe there was something wrong with the last one. And in reality, there was probably nothing wrong with them, I just didn't fit them. But you can't say I didn't try. They sound great when other people play them. Just not me.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM

FWIW, I love my DW Collectors kit. Hell, I love my DW-PDP kit too. Their sounds appeal to me, and the round Collectors' lugs always surprise me when I glance their way.

But my next kit's going to be a Yamaha Recording Custom because...why not?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If it's because his favorite drummer has one, then it's a bad idea.

Dennis
I undertsand what you mean by that and I agree... But on the other hand, if buying the same drum as your drumming hero makes you want to play, practice and motivate you, then it' not a bad idea.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...... was going to yet a Yamaha ......

..... I think the DW looks the coolest though, don't hate, Im trying to look at it as a whole.
Well, Yamaha ... DW .... you have good taste .... both make very nice hi end kits.
If, between Yamaha and DW ... to you, they both sound great ... then looks might be the tie-breaker.
Personally, though I'm not a DW "hater", I'm not infatuated with them, either. As a vintage "kinda" guy, I'd go after a Camco kit ... the DW drums before they were DW. But that's just me. Living in LA, I've seen enough DW drums to last me a lifetime .... not to say they're "bad" ... not at all ... but they're common. While a clean set of Camco's ... I can count how many of those I've seen, on one hand. And I'm not talking about "seen on the internet" ... I'm talking about "seen in the physical".
Me, I've got a Yamaha Recording Custom kit ... and a Ludwig "Classic" kit ... those are my "generic" drums. For my "more exotic" tastes ... I have a Gretsch Round Badge kit and a Brazilian made RMV kit.
Follow your heart ..... you are responsible for your own happiness.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Nothing any of us say would really sway you anyway, and we all know that. So if you thought it was a bad idea, you wouldn't ask us in the first place, you'd just consider it a bad idea and leave it at that. What you're really looking for is for someone to validate to you that it isn't a bad idea, which is what you want to hear anyway, and then you'll move forward.
The unspoken has been spake... uh, something like that. This is great because it is so TRUE. When someone asks whether or not they should buy a product, they're actually asking for others to reaffirm their decision. Nothing wrong with that. But when someone says "no," the asker usually becomes defensive – a natural reaction, I suppose, since a lot of thought has gone into their yet-to-be decision. This goes to show the general uselessness of these kinds of threads.

But I'm not attacking anyone; trust me, I've done this kind of thing myself. Just a speculation of human behavior...

If you like the DW look the best, I say get 'em.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 AM

I appreciate the input everyone, this thread will not go to waste. The fate of mankind now rests in my hands.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I undertsand what you mean by that and I agree... But on the other hand, if buying the same drum as your drumming hero makes you want to play, practice and motivate you, then it' not a bad idea.
I too understand what you're talking about, but if someone needs a three or four thousand kit to get you to practice and get motivated, then your reasoning to play drum is very shallow in my opinion and their aspirations probably won't last as long as it takes them to have to re-head their drums.

Dennis
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Buying preferences, order of importance: (excluding price)

What many players (& non players) would have you believe:

1/ Sound quality
2/ Construction quality
3/ Size availability
4/ Appearance
5/ Reputation/coolness
6/ Brand

What many players (& non players) actually act on:

1/ Appearance
2/ Brand
3/ Reputation/coolness
4/ Size availability
5/ Brand
6/ Reputation/coolness
7/ Construction quality
8/ Reputation/coolness
9/ Appearance
10/ Sound quality
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I too understand what you're talking about, but if someone needs a three or four thousand kit to get you to practice and get motivated, then your reasoning to play drum is very shallow in my opinion and their aspirations probably won't last as long as it takes them to have to re-head their drums.

Dennis
Mmmmh..Point taken. However, I was reffering to the brand, it doesn't need to be top of the line, after a year of hard practice on a beginner's drumkit, i've choosen the same brand as my drumming hero of that time. Well 30 years down the road and I'm still using it today.

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 10-30-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

1/ Sound quality
2/ Construction quality
3/ Size availability
4/ Appearance
5/ Reputation/coolness
6/ Brand

1/ Appearance
2/ Brand
3/ Reputation/coolness
4/ Size availability
5/ Brand
6/ Reputation/coolness
7/ Construction quality
8/ Reputation/coolness
9/ Appearance
10/ Sound quality
+1.Agreed.Coolness seems to be the deciding factor.....what a shame.Still,after over 40 years I can't bring myself to like DW because the're way overpriced,and those horrible turret lugs

Steve B.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
+1.Agreed.Coolness seems to be the deciding factor.....what a shame.Still,after over 40 years I can't bring myself to like DW because the're way overpriced,and those horrible turret lugs

Steve B.
Personally, agreed on the lugs Steve, but I discount that as an individual preference thing. I think the price of DW stuff is mostly what you'd expect for the quality too. They make good drums, but, like any major manufacturer, you accept that a fair portion of the price is more to do with the overhead recovery rate than product quality & materials. It's the same with just about anything you buy from a company that pumps huge sums into promo. Gotta say though, that promo sure works :)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Gotta say though, that promo sure works :)
I agree totally, if you believe the hype, it's the best thing since sliced bread...Aaaah Marketing, marketing, marketing...
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:

1/ Sound quality
2/ Construction quality
3/ Size availability
4/ Appearance
5/ Reputation/coolness
6/ Brand

1/ Appearance
2/ Brand
3/ Reputation/coolness
4/ Size availability
5/ Brand
6/ Reputation/coolness
7/ Construction quality
8/ Reputation/coolness
9/ Appearance
10/ Sound quality
I don't doubt that this often happens. However, what is just as clear to me is that there is a group of people who leap to this assumption, especially when certain brands are mentioned (and for the record KIS, I'm not suggesting that you're in it). If I had a nickel for every time the reasoning behind my own brand choices have been suggested to be a product of "fancy marketing hype or fanboy-ism," I'd have... well, maybe just enough to buy myself lunch.

What I don't understand is why anyone should care so much. If someone buys a drum kit and they are happy with it, why should their reasons matter to us? I ask the question because I honestly have no answer. Yes, I get the whole part about growth and awareness through shared experiences, but I'm referring more to the tearing down that also happens.

Which leads me to these two groups: people who make brand choices for seemingly shallow reasons (relative to our own points of view, of course) and those who criticize them for it. I see the latter as being more problematic. It it possible that this is a contributing factor as to why the "Show Us Your Kit" section enjoys more activity? I think so. Those threads strongly trend towards celebrations of our choices rather than the reverse. A few outwardly negative contributors aside, those threads are a great time!

With all that said, my advice to anyone contemplating a drum kit purchase is to try things out to the best of your ability, make a choice with your mind and your heart and then post lots of pictures of it in the Show Us Your Kit section when it arrives. You'll probably gets lots of great feedback and might not ever hear from the guy who points out that you just made a stupid decision for all the wrong reasons.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Here's the thing...

Homer, have you played DW kits? I bought a DW kit on reputation, plus I've heard them live, but never played them except in a GC. (you really can't evaluate drums in a drum store IMO, you have to gig them) I like them well enough, but I can't say I am in love with the tone. I get plenty of compliments, but inside I know there's a better sound for me.

Do not buy a kit on reputation. Play some DW's and everything else, and then if the DW sound is your preference, move ahead. I am a DW Collectors Series owner, and I do believe I am going Ludwig in the future, because they have the tone that fulfills me inside.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundlefly View Post
I don't doubt that this often happens. However, what is just as clear to me is that there is a group of people who leap to this assumption, especially when certain brands are mentioned (and for the record KIS, I'm not suggesting that you're in it). If I had a nickel for every time the reasoning behind my own brand choices have been suggested to be a product of "fancy marketing hype or fanboy-ism," I'd have... well, maybe just enough to buy myself lunch.

What I don't understand is why anyone should care so much. If someone buys a drum kit and they are happy with it, why should their reasons matter to us? I ask the question because I honestly have no answer. Yes, I get the whole part about growth and awareness through shared experiences, but I'm referring more to the tearing down that also happens.

Which leads me to these two groups: people who make brand choices for seemingly shallow reasons (relative to our own points of view, of course) and those who criticize them for it. I see the latter as being more problematic. It it possible that this is a contributing factor as to why the "Show Us Your Kit" section enjoys more activity? I think so. Those threads strongly trend towards celebrations of our choices rather than the reverse. A few outwardly negative contributors aside, those threads are a great time!

With all that said, my advice to anyone contemplating a drum kit purchase is to try things out to the best of your ability, make a choice with your mind and your heart and then post lots of pictures of it in the Show Us Your Kit section when it arrives. You'll probably gets lots of great feedback and might not ever hear from the guy who points out that you just made a stupid decision for all the wrong reasons.
I completely agree with the balance of your post. No problems :) I agree, that the reasons for someone else making a gear choice, shouldn't be the concern of others. You make a choice, & I for one, dearly hope you're happy with it. But that lines up the caveat nicely, I will actively try to steer the uninformed away from making a decision that's clearly going to be wrong for them. I don't go that route very often for a host of reasons, but occasionally, I will (this is not one of those occasions). I remember a time when I made purchases I could ill afford, & found them to be flawed decisions. I remember thinking "why didn't someone tell me that", so when I smell such a scenario, I'll jump in, knowing full well the chances are my advice will fall on deaf ears, but at least I tried.

As you'll see in my other post below, I happen to think that DW make some great drums. My point about their spend on promo activities applies to nearly all companies of mass, & it certainly applies to just about every recognised brand of all products we buy. That's not a negative, & nor is it a reflection on the quality of product vs. another. On a straight point, DW must make good drums, because even with the best marketing campaign in the world, if the drums were crap, they wouldn't be in the market position they are now (DDrum being a case in point).

I have many playing friends who play DW kits. For the most part, they're happy with their instrument.