DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Default electronic practice pads

Hello everyone!

I'm doing some research on drums and how they pplay when away from their kit for long periods.

I was wondering whether anyone has used/own an electronic practice pad such as the Roland RMP-5? If you have/do, what is your opinion of it? How does it compare to regular rubber practice pads?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: electronic practice pads

I have the RMP-5, its my daily practice pad and my main metronome (when playing kit).

I like it overall. It's bouncier than a real snare (but not as bouncy as the normal, rubber pad that I have), but that's OK, gotta get used to playing on diff surfaces... one more is fine.

The built-in metronome is great. All the usual high-end features (tempo range, subdivisions, human voice count plus tons of other sounds). The only complaint is that it doesn't have a large dial (it has +/- buttons), or presets, so changing tempos is not as quick and easy as it could be (you can hit both buttons together to change values a little quicker than +/-1, so that's better than nothing).

It's velocity sensitivity doesn't seem to be very good, but this could be due to my inability to "tune" it... I'm not good at tuning real drums that make real sounds... Tuning a barely audible 6" mesh head is beyond me. I recently started working on accent exercises, and I ended up giving up on the Roland being able to detect my accents properly. Sometimes accents will register as normal hits, and vice versa. I know I'm not the best at this yet, but I also know I'm not as bad as this thing tells me I am. I still use it for accent practice, but I unplug the headphones, and play it "acoustically".

I don't use any of the "Coach" features. I used "time check" briefly when I first got it, but found it to be too distracting. As noted above, the "stroke balance" feature doesn't work for me because of the bad velocity sensing. I like the idea of it's "quiet count" feature, but for some reason they implemented "quiet" as "significantly reduced volume" (not actually quiet); I can still hear it when I'm playing pad or even kit. So now I just use a "SILENT count" MIDI track I made in Finale (1/4 notes for 3 bars then a one bar rest with a big repeat around it). I haven't tried any of the other coach features.

As I said in your other thread, I originally bought it with the intention of traveling with it, but then realized it was too large, bulky and fragile to travel with on a regular basis, I also worried that it would be too loud for a small hotel room. I now travel with a cheap little Sound Percussion rubber pad and sometimes a Tama Rhythm Watch metronome.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks Fuo,

you've been really helpful with all your replies. You've definitely helped clear some things up!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

I have a practice kit made from a Roland electronic kit. I ditched the electronics and love it. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zI6PxPWKoU
billbachman.net
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

That's a pretty idea I Agreed! Nice find .. Good stuff! it's really a good and flexible job....
Very well said, thanks for sharing.