DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tinnitus Anyone?

its just such a hassel....but its probably a good idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

After almost 30 years of playing and countless concerts that were way too loud, I only get the ringing once in a while. I consider myself lucky. I have never worn ear plugs but have tried them several times. These days, I don't listen or play at ear splitting levels. Concerts today don't seem as loud and abusive as they use to be in the 80's and 90's. There are still a few that push it ( Motley Crue for example) I don't go to (CLUB) shows that often. They are total hell on your ears. It doesn't have to be that way IMO. So even tho I have chilled big time with the high volume levels, I know it can still bite me after all this time. I would say if you don't like ear plugs, don't expose yourself to abusive sound levels. Loud music is cool if it's done correctly meaning (clean loud) no harsh frequencies, distortion and so on.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
To get permanent tinnitus at your age would be tragic. Imagine all those years with a constant whine or ring that never, ever goes away. If you're experiencing the symptoms every time you play, i'd suggest that it's a MUST that you start protecting your ears. Take the warning.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
So after 30 years of playing and even with using earplugs/ear protection, I still got tinnitus a few years ago. Its like having a small tea kettle whistling all the time in your head. Who else has it, how bad, and what, if anything are you doing about it.
Yes, I too have been diagnosed (to a degree) with tinniitus.
It just started this last summer. it actually started as an inner ear infection, once the infection was gone the "hissing" as i call it never went away. I had two hearing test since then and been told i have very little hearing loss, for a drummer, but there is nothing they say can be done about the tinnitus.

I have found, that when i play with the band, and i'm wearing my heros in my ears for a long period of time, it tends to be less noticable than an average work day on the jobsite with machines running and the sounds of construction equipment rattleing in my ears. then of course an hour or so on the drums when i get home (gun muffs on my ears) and they bother me more than after band practice.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

I have it. Diagnosed three weeks ago by an ENT. I've had an MRI of my brain, hearing tests, blood workup, and a sleep study. More tests scheduled and I feel like a pin cushion. I'll be going to Mayo if my local doc's don't have a fix within the next few months. There may not be a fix, see the link below.

FYI, ringing started the week my new kit arrived. Hearing tests show that nothing is wrong with my hearing. MRI shows that nothing wrong with hearing canal. About a month ago, I couldn't take it any more and went to a doc, first time since high school football. I wake up every couple hours. Miserable.
http://mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365
Joey

PS Snare ringing is good. This kind of ringing is no good.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Joey,
I know the feelin', it drives ya nuts for awhile but you'll get used to it. i'm sorry it had to happen to ya rite around the arrival of the new Dubs. don't let it discourage you. If all the proper tests where done and theres no sign of anything else...............than its just that...........tinnitus sorry!

Last edited by timebandit; 02-21-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 AM

I've had Tinnitus for many years but the best thing I did was get musician's earplugs about ten years ago. They basically stopped things from getting worse. True, I've gotten use to Tinnitus but that's not everyone. The problem is that frequencies of Tinnitus affect everyone differently. Unfortunately the damage I received was done early on in my music career and there wasn't much info on Tinnitus, so by the time I developed it, it was too late.
My problem isn't severe like some and like I said, the ear plugs helped along with Vic Firth headphones to practice with. I can now enjoy my music career with little aggrevation.
I hope everything works out for you. ;-)
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 AM

I've had it for a number of years.

In the last 6-7 years, I've used ear plugs about %95 of the time. I've played a few "softer" gigs where I didn't wear them.

But, I did make the mistake of not wearing them for a few gigs and jams this last year.... I can't say it's made it worse, but it certainly didn't make it any better.

I believe in wearing 'em. As I write this, I can hear it quite well.

(edit) - It meaning the ring!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 AM

I dont know, Ive given my ears CONSTANT abuse, i listen to my ipod on full blast and drum along, but I am not getting any problems. However, my left ear does blow out for a few seconds a day. It sucks....I think im gonna start wearing ear plugs.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiadrummer View Post
I dont know, Ive given my ears CONSTANT abuse, i listen to my ipod on full blast and drum along, but I am not getting any problems. However, my left ear does blow out for a few seconds a day. It sucks....I think im gonna start wearing ear plugs.
Try the Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones. They are made to keep out excess noise from the drums. That way you don't have to blast the volume in the headphones.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Try the Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones. They are made to keep out excess noise from the drums. That way you don't have to blast the volume in the headphones.
That's a great idea for playing along with music.

I basically made my own headphones with something similar to these:

Nothing to fancy, but they've worked great even in studio.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM

It's really important to protect your ears!! I'm 14 years old and I have permanent tinnitus, even though I use custom made ear protectors. It's sometimes hard to fall asleep because of that...
And it's a fact (yes, it sounds a bit ridiculous) that a lot of people with tinnitus get depressive and some people do suicide because of that... I'm NOT kidding!
And if it's really bad you can lose balance, but it's hard to explain that in English for me...
PROTECT YOUR EARS!!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
its not a slight hassle...takes 10 seconds to roll up and not only do you get ear protection, but your drums sound better aswell. a lot better.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Imagine all those years with a constant whine or ring that never, ever goes away.
Are you talking about Tinnitus or Women? :)

Im about to buy some ear plugs for myself and all band members. No point even risking it for a little garage jamming session
Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

The herb "ginko biloba" is known to relieve some tinnitus. I used to suffer with tinnitus and certain brands of ginko worked for me while others didn't. So, for all you sufferers out there, do a little research on ginko and see if it might help relieve some of the symptoms.

Tinnitus isn't always caused by loud music, although it is the most common cause. Tinnitus is not a disease, but a symptom. I've read that certain causes of tinnitus can be by grinding teeth due to stress, high doses of aspirin, carotid artery blockage, rare tumors of the hearing nerve and Meniere's disease. Straining to hear and the aggravation over the hearing loss can make the condition worse. I've read also that 50 million people in America alone have it to some degree. In 90% of those cases the tinnitus will go away after a short time. I am proof that in some cases it will go away. I had tinnitus for about 10 years and it has gone away.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS.

Allowable exposure...15 minutes at a rock concert! And I saw RUSH twice in 2004. When I play at home I use a pair of those nice Vic Firth headphones to protect my ears. Or if I am recording, I use a pair of ear plugs that I've had for over a decade.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

I was born with hearing loss and also born with tinnitus. The high pitch hearing loss is at the level were I can not even hear cymbals on Cd's. All I can say is wear ear plugs. I have been wearing them for about 20yrs. and it helps alot.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Pioneer Member

I took up earplugs three years ago, it takes some time to get used to it. but when you get used to the "damped" sound.. Its pretty good.. so guys, and girls.. Start wearing ear protection.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Gold Member

I feel kinda bad for going to that Mastodon concert and standing 4" from the monitors... My hearing is precious to me, I either wear ear plugs or play very quietly at all times.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 AM

Listen guys and Mods (no pun intended) I think it should be a matter of importance to inform the younger generation of this condition. Hearing loss is no joke.

It would be great to at least have a STICKY for this issue.

Anyway, I'm getting my ear attenuators soon off Frank Cass and Sons in Kimmage, Dublin. I'll let you all know how they work out - and if it's worth the 200$ or not. He has told me they don't lose any clarity, which is important.

I'm banking on it being better than sponge ear plugs, i.e: muffled.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM

yeh i agree, its really important to protect your ears.

Ive been playing for about 4 years and im only 16 and already have minor tinnitus because when i was younger i wasnt really aware of it and didnt think about it.

The ear plugs ive got now are Doc's Proplugs which are recomended, but i find that they really dont help so ive had to go back to the foam ones so everythings muffled and its really annoying.

Does anyone else find that with those Doc's Proplugs?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Ear Protection, what do you use?

i know everyone puts on a protective pair of headphones or something, but try this.....

listen to your drumkit for a minute while your playing it

then put earplugs in, PUT THEM IN REALLY GOOD

listen to your kit again, it will sound really cool, and kinda weird, then put protective headphones on top of the earplugs......if you dont play live and you only play drums top practice, you will never need to buy a new drumset cuz the sound from this combination is AMAZING

sorry if there is another post on this

Old 04-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Ear Protection, what do you use?

I've noticed that wearing earplugs while practicing does eliminate some of the nastier overtones from the drums.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Ear plugs take off alot of high frequencies.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Thats a good idea but i only use certain ear plugs, and of course these, even tho most people use these

Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaz View Post
Thats a good idea but i only use certain ear plugs, and of course these, even tho most people use these

I use those shooting ear muffs - earplugs get kind of icky with earwax after a while. Also, earplugs shut out too much sound for me. Most are rated at 32 db or more and the earmuffs are 20. With 20 db of reduction, my hearing is protected but I still hear the drums and cymbals just fine. The earplugs just make all the sound a big fuzzy blob, although they are great for sleeping.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm using Doc's Proplugs, and they're pretty good for what they are. They're designed for musicians in mind, so the high frequency loss is lessened in comparison to 'normal' foam earplugs. They're very useful and surprisingly cheap. Definitely worth the investment.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

I use individual ear plugs that are molded to fit snugly into my ear canals. The attached filters cut 25dB off across the entire frequency range giving a natural sound.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 PM

These are great plugs - they cut down the sound equally across all the frequencies so they don't sound as muffled as the foam ones:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Vic Firth headphones. I never jam without'em.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 PM

I wear ear plugs. Personally i think my drums sound better with them on. I also play better
Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 PM

yea ive had the vic firth headphones for a few months now and there great i even bring them on trips and just plug them into a cd player or something
but the thing is when i play with themi have to turn the cd up really loud or else ill hear myself playing instead of the cd and also ive started to break sticks alot more beacuse i guess i play harder while listening to a cd

its a vicious cycle
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM

I recently bought a pair of Creative Zen in-ears..they work wonderfully well when I play live, I'm still able to hear my click, and it reduces the volume of my drums and the rest of my band members (who just love to play loud), so I guess it's also a form of ear protection too. I've used the Vic Firth isophones (black) in the studio, and hated the bulkiness of them, so I got the in-ears instead, and I just LOVE them! I use those blue Vic Firth isophones when I'm practicing by myself, without a click.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 AM

I use Vater earplugs... they are working alright!! They're like 20$ but they protect my ears a lot while im jamming with my friends! Nice product.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Big_Philly

I have ear trouble that aren't drumming related, I'm hearing impaired on the right. I've undergone ear surgery 5 times now, and lots and lots of visits to ear specialists. When I told him I played drums he did advise to use ear protection, but when I mentioned custom made ear protection he started laughing and told me that folding and curling some toilet paper would do nearly exactly the same. He was right :D Though toilet paper is a bit of a hassle to fold and curl into your ear, and especially if you have to take them out halfway through a gig for a break and put it back in.
Now I am using Vater safe 'n sound ear plugs and I must say that they work very well, toilet paper did alter the sound characteristics a bit, and these just dampen the sound, taking away between 20 and 30 dB. They only cost 25 euros or so, and aren't nearly as much of a hassle to take out or put in, and they come with a neck cord.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Hello!

I use the Vic Firth SIH1 and they're cool. I plug them into my computer or the metronome and it works fine when i practice, but sometimes i wished theyd reduce the volume even more (i think they have 25db) - but playing more quiet works too :D
For gigs i use doctor made earplugs with a 15db filter ... those are very cool for concerts too ... do you think 15db is not enough? well, at least my ears dont hurt or ring.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Vic Firth Ear Protection

I have just taken up playing drums and I am really enjoying it so far although one thing does concern me is hearing loss!

last year I lost my hearing in one ear due to some ear infection, it totally killed my hearing in my right ear....took some getting used to not being able to tell direction of sound and listening to music wasn't the same for ages although I have now got used to it just no stereo!

So anyway as you can imagine I am very protective of my other ear and playing drums maybe not the best thing in the world I could of taken up..but I really enjoy playing and dont want to stop. I have already got some ear protection that go in your ear little rubber things i got from my local drum shop, but I have been looking at the Vic Firth Isolation Headphones DB22 the only question I have is are they any different from Industrial ones like these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...58556&ts=40242 as you can see from the link they are far cheaper and maybe offer better protection or maybe again to much ???

any help much appreciated...oh and any one who doesnt use ear protection please do it is no fun loosing your hearing let me tell you!

Regards
AJ
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Vic Firth Ear Protection

Nope. They are no different. In fact if the snr number is the reduction, these are more protective than the Vic Firth's. The VF's are rated @ 22 decibel reduction, where if that snr number is the eduction, they are rated @ 32 db. Be aware that these kind of headphones will make everything sound like it has a cold. Some drummers like it, some don't, just something to get used to. I think Scott Travis (Fight, Racer X, Judas Priest) actually prefers it.

Good thinking & good luck
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Vic Firth Ear Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
Nope. They are no different. In fact if the snr number is the reduction, these are more protective than the Vic Firth's. The VF's are rated @ 22 decibel reduction, where if that snr number is the eduction, they are rated @ 32 db. Be aware that these kind of headphones will make everything sound like it has a cold. Some drummers like it, some don't, just something to get used to. I think Scott Travis (Fight, Racer X, Judas Priest) actually prefers it.

Good thinking & good luck
Thanks for the help much appreciated,,makes you wonder how they can charge so much for the Vic Firth ones 35??? taking advantage or what!

I will have to get used to the sound cant risk damage to my last working ear..!

Regards
AJ
Old 06-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS - ear plugs, hearing loss, deafness

Just a quick update on what I posted yesterday....I want into a local DIY/Builders merchants called Jewsons and picked up some Ear Defenders cost me 8.00 in total They have a SNR of 23

They are much less trouble than ear plugs In my opinion, just put them on and away you go and my drums sound much better while I have them on. my last working ear is safe and sound now :)

Shame they never came in any other colour