DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default I'm giving away a black beauty snare drum, here.

You can all thank Midnight Zephyr for spouting a great sentence of truth.

Here it is:

Larry, don't give a Black Beauty to a kid. Kids don't appreciate nice things like that. They'll just sell it for alcohol money. Now we wouldn't want that, would we? PM me for my forwarding address. Thanks, bud.

So I'm giving it away here. I still have drums to give deserving kids. But this one is being given away here. I don't care if you're Paradiddle Pete and you have umpteen snare drums.
So here's your chance to make your case to sway me to give you an honest to goodness Ludwig LB417 brass on brass tube lugged black nickel plated brass shelled, P-86 equipped world famous genuine Black Beauty snare drum with the one of a kind genuine solid brass buttstrap in your choice of depth of either 5" or 6.5". They are both 14" - 10 lug drums I got brand new in 2003 and 2011 respectively. I'll even include the original never used Ludwig coated head that I got it with. Your choice of 20 strand original Ludwig chrome snare wires or the Puresound Customs I have on them now. Both drums are pretty much mint.

I never play these drums, save for like once a year out of respect, but I probably never will use them seriously, so I want to give one to someone who really wants it.

Whichever submission moves me most will win. Don't snow me either. I want real. Honest. I'm not making any snap decisions. This could take a while. I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll know when I see it.

GO!
Old 10-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Re: I'm giving away a black beauty snare drum, here.

I don't need it for myself but this is a very kind thing you are doing.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

That is one of the most sincere gestures I have ever seen Larry, my utmost respect to you. I certainly dont need it, but it would be an honor to own. I will pass my bid to another aspiring young artist.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Larry, I was only joking around. I love kids. That's just what I would do when I was a kid, although instead of alcohol, it would be the green stuff. Ha ha.

I'm afraid to own nice stuff like that. Then I would have to worry about it all the time like I do with the Autoharp that my dad made. I think it's a very kind and generous offer to whomever it goes to. I liked Smokes pitch better than mine though. :)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

What a generous thing to do Larry. Unreal level of generosity right here.

I don't need one myself but just wanted to say 'well done that man'
Old 10-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Seriously Larry, that's a great path to take. I get huge pleasure from paying forward - in fact, I probably get more pleasure from it than the recipient, so underneath it all, I feel a little selfish. Isn't that weird?

Am I allowed to make an anti-pitch? Under no circumstances consider that buttstrap Eder character. He's a persuasive little bugger, & disarms you with that downtrodden innocent look whilst delivering seductively smooth grooves.

Curved ball time - gift it to Sticks. It'll feel great to cure an addict ;)
Old 10-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a black one.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Good on you, Larry. I do not need, but, have been in the market, seriously I am. Would consider a trade with you or gifting of one from my collection to someone here. Paying / gifting forward is rewarding, that's for sure! Well done, sir!

Last edited by Thunder 42; 10-29-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

I only have 5" drums hence a 6,5 would be nice, so the big guys stop making fun of me.

Seriously though, nice thing to do.

I've given away some music equipment, but drums I started playing so late that my choices are boringly mature and thought to death before I commit. Hence, on the drumming side it's mostly down to some sticks, rods or brushes for the odd student. Same thought process, though. Better it get used by someone than just getting moved around and taking up space.

Offcourse, noone on drummerworld's all that into drums, but it's worth a try.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

I'm all about the orphans, brother. Bring on the adoption papers and I'll bring the pen.

Seriously, incredibly generous gesture. Can't wait to hear where this lands.
Know you will pick the most deserving recipient.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

If you really want to give it to a deserving kid. Call your local schools and donate it to a band program. It will be used daily by multiple kids.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

That's a lovely thing to do, Larry. You are a kind and generous guy.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

It is a wonderful gesture to give something away. I'd rather see you sell it, and then give the proceeds to a children's hospital or to the SPCA. That is where all my donations have gone. I sincerely doubt anyone on here needs a Black Beauty as much as a sick kid needs a smile or a homeless animal needs a meal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

As a lifelong Ludwig player, I own aluminum, chromed brass and bronze Supraphonics but not a Black Beauty.
So I would gladly accept your generous offer and cherish it along with it's brothers.
And I would play it. As God and WFL intended.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

You're the uncle of all uncles, Larry! I really admire you my friend!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'm me. Is that enough of an argument?

In all seriousness - not me. An incredible gesture though Larry. Classy as ever.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Senior Consultant

Larry, this is a wonderful gesture.

I hope it goes to someone who both deserves it and will appreciate it forever.

Me, I'm a sucker for feel-good, "who's cutting onions in here?" stories. If it went to a sick kid or to someone who saved a baby or something I would just melt.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

What an awesome gesture Larry! A Black Beauty is a pretty serious instrument and probably for many one of those "gold watch" kinds of drums; something you hope to earn one day because you know you've finally done something deserving to get it.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:53 PM

WOW! 'Tis the season. I hope you find a great candidate. I would hate to see that on ebay or Craigslist a few days later. Like everyone else has said this is such a kind and generous gift to put out into the world. Inspiring! Thank you!

Last edited by SpareRib; 10-29-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Dandy autospell
Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

OMG does anyone want it lol?

I'm in no rush. You people are very kind indeed, passing on this in favor of someone else. I hope a someone else surfaces eventually.

My hat goes off to all of you.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Wish i had a big sob story.. my truth is that i have never tried a BB and want to :) but i am cheap.. i do hope whoever get's it really needs it though. very generous.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
Wish i had a big sob story.. my truth is that i have never tried a BB and want to :) but i am cheap.. i do hope whoever get's it really needs it though. very generous.
Good enough for me. Consider yourself in the running.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, Larry!! Cool thing you're offering up.

How about this: I'll take the Black Beauty and pay forward my very first snare drum purchase (my Ludwig Acrolite) to the jazz band at my school along with a set of Sabian Cymbals. The drums and cymbals these kids use suck.... like really suck.

Cheers!

Hell, maybe I'll just do that anyway.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Wow, Larry!! Cool thing you're offering up.

How about this: I'll take the Black Beauty and pay forward my very first snare drum purchase (my Ludwig Acrolite) to the jazz band at my school along with a set of Sabian Cymbals. The drums and cymbals these kids use suck.... like really suck.

Cheers!

Hell, maybe I'll just do that anyway.
Well I like that idea...you're definitely in.

I'm thinking of making a decision on December 1st. That leaves the whole month of November for everyone to ply me with your thoughts.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Ghostnote

Unbelievable. 24 posts and only three people made a pitch so far? Lol. Good on you Larry, and good on everyone else who cared more about recognizing your gesture than getting the drum.

Ok, here goes....Ever since I was a little kid growing up in a wet paper bag in the middle of a busy street, I have wanted to own a Black Beauty, just like the one in the music store window that I could see from our little bag. The same bag that I shared with my 8 siblings after our parents had abandoned us. Though it was cold and wet in our little paper bag, and there was little food aside from the occasional bits of pizza crust and cigarette butts that we found in the gutter, the thought of one day owning such a drum kept me warm and dry at night and filled me with hope and the promise of one day becoming a drummer.

I scrounged around the alley behind the music store for anything I could find which might help me pursue my dream. Soon, I started practicing my rudiments with an old Q Tip in one hand and a rolled up copy of Crochet Quarterly in the other. I slowly accumulated a rag-tag collection of hub caps and 5 gallon pails, with which I was eventually able to start busking so that I might feed my family.

Over the years, as my skill and talent grew, I began to draw bigger crowds, sometimes as many as 3 or 4 people, and I was able to make enough money to get us out of that dank, little bag and into the spacious cardboard box which we find ourselves in today. And to think, none of this would have been possible if that Black Beauty hadn't caught my eye all those years ago. If only I could actually own a drum like that one day... (sigh)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 PM
savage8190

What a kind gesture. Not so long ago I was really down on my luck and had to sell all of my guitar gear. A very kind guitar player who I didn't even know sent me a bunch of gear...it was the biggest display of generosity I had ever personally experienced. Things have completely turned around for me now and I don't want for anything, but I will never forget his gift. I now make a point to give more, and when I quit playing guitar I sold that gear and doubled up the amount and gave it to the children's hospital.

The point of my little ramble? I don't need a drum, but kindness begets kindness and I love to see things like this. I hope you find someone that really could use it and it helps turn things around for them.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:11 PM

Ahem, allow me to make a pitch (of sorts)...

Don't write off kids.

My boy's thirteen now and he's been playing drums for just over a year. He's about to take his grade four exam and he's let me know (in the way that kids do) that he "needs" a better snare drum to replace the starter drum that came with his Pearl Rhythm Traveller. To be fair to him, he's worked really hard and has put in the hours to demonstrate that he's serious about his drumming, so I will probably buy him an upgrade to celebrate when he passes his exam. He's been lusting over Black Beauty videos on YouTube, so your drum would be a dream come true for him...

BUT... we live in a small house in England and the first thing that I'd do is replace the head with a Remo Silent Stroke (my boy's kit is currently set up with mesh heads and Zildjian LV80s) and there's no way a drum like yours should be neutered and banished to my attic.

However, I've just booked him up for his second four-day course with a local charity called "Felix's School of Rock". Inspired by the Jack Black film, these guys have been running music courses/events in the school holidays since 2004. They put kids (aged 9-16) of all levels together in (nine to ten) rock bands and work with them over four days to prepare a ten-minute set for a full stage gig at the end of the course. The courses are fantastic, the gigs are great (some bands are surprisingly good) and a Black Beauty would be a ridiculous improvement on their current gig snare, inspiring loads of young drummers for years to come.

BUT... these guys are in London, England and the logistics/costs of sending a drum across the pond would make you regret your kind gesture. So why have I wasted your time with this half-hearted, infeasible pitch? Because there must be similar schemes running stateside and I'd suggest that your drum would make a big difference to a whole bunch of aspiring drummers if you could find it a home like this. I remember the first time I got to play a Les Paul at about 14 and it blew me away. Kids remember this stuff.

In any event, good luck with your decision. This is an insanely generous offer.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

You know, I wish I could say I would accept such an offer, and then auction off the drum to benefit someone else. But I think we've all had enough false charity on display this election season.

I would jump at the chance to be gifted a Black Beauty in either depth. My very first snare drum was a Ludwig. Their mojo just can't be denied. And yet, I currently only own one Ludwig snare, that being my little aluminium Standard. Which means that currently I have a brass Mapex snare sitting among my prized Ludwig 3-plys in my studio.

Don;t get me wrong, the Mapex is a brilliant drum, with a lot going for it. But that's kind of like Michael Jordan wearing Reeboks. It just jars the sensibilities of any reasonable person.

Make my drumset great again. It will be gigged. It will be recorded. It will be worked as a Black Beauty was meant to be. It will have a loving home with kind parents who clean it, feed it, play with it, and even tuck it in at night.

Think of the baby kittens.

EDIT: I see you've also put a SS-to-Supra and a bronze Sensitone on the block. I can love those drums like nobody's business. they will gig. They will record. They will be loved. Your newfound dislike of metal snares speaks to the mercenary spirit within me. You know you want to.

Last edited by alparrott; 11-05-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Matt Bo Eder

You blow me away Larry. Very generous. I don't think I could say anything to deserve it so I hope you give it to someone who really needs it - I could say I really need it, but you already know I don't, and you already know I sound pretty much the same on everything I play, so I can't say I even need the sound of it.

Maybe you'll prod others to do the same. I do have at least one snare drum I know I don't really play....
Old 10-29-2016, 11:35 PM

Hello Larry,
I had a black beauty which I sold because we needed the money for son's college expenses. I miss that drum and use a aluminum supraphonic instead which is OK but I never thought I would miss the BB. I knew I wouldn't be able to scrape the money together to buy another. Here's a video I used the BB on before I sold it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgXEVNp7384
I would be willing to trade the Sabian ride used in this video if you'd like. Thanks
Old 10-30-2016, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

That's a great gesture, and its been interesting reading the responses so far. I'm
another non-entry, but I thoroughly endorse the concept, and I'm sure you'll find several worthy recipients by the end of November.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Well I'd just like to have a BB. No sad story. I have 2 snares right now a steel Yamaha and a wood Yammy that came with my 88 model Power Tour Customs. The steel snare is from the same era. I've been playing sense 1969.I just play some small clubs around my part of Kansas. Nothing big. None the less I'd take it off your hands if you're giving it away. Thanks
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Larry,

I hope you find a good deserving home for that snare. A home that would help the drummer achieve what they desire. Where the drummer is in need of a snare drum such as this, and the drum will bring out their best playing.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:04 AM

Man, if John Bonham had ever played a Black Beauty you'd have a five-page dissertation on why I'm your ideal candidate. But since Bonham only ever played an LM402 I guess I'll sit this one out.

Great gesture, Larry!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:33 AM
Matt Bo Eder

It would be funny if Larry ended up selling it to someone here, because nobody feels worthy of receiving one for free ;)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Man, if John Bonham had ever played a Black Beauty you'd have a five-page dissertation on why I'm your ideal candidate. But since Bonham only ever played an LM402 I guess I'll sit this one out.

Great gesture, Larry!
He did play a 14 x 6.5 Black Beauty in later recordings, I've read in the past.

Just saying...
Old 10-30-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

Just saying...
I've heard that, but the more reading I do the more of an urban legend it seems to be. Same as his silver sparkle kit. Although, that said, it now seems pretty certain he recorded In Through the Out Door with the stainless steel kit, when the narrative has always been that he only ever recorded with maple shells.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:29 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
I've heard that, but the more reading I do the more of an urban legend it seems to be. Same as his silver sparkle kit. Although, that said, it now seems pretty certain he recorded In Through the Out Door with the stainless steel kit, when the narrative has always been that he only ever recorded with maple shells.
I thought Bernard Purdie recorded that album.....
Old 10-30-2016, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

I recorded an album with a studio-owned BB one time and damn near fell in love. Similar tone to my cheapo tama steel snare which is my usual workhorse, but much richer and more versatile.

Liked it so much I was thinking about getting an acrolite because it's more close to my non-existent budget... In the end I had to admit that I'm not really getting "that sound" I wanted and I should just stick with my 90 dollar special I've used since I started. I've never owned any new drums or even cymbals for that matter, I have to be very frugal living in an expensive area while helping support someone I care about.

Hopefully it shows here that I'm a passionate drummer who takes this seriously. I gig with several different bands, and I can promise if your snare came in my direction, it would get tons of use as my main snare on and off stage for the foreseeable future. Money and material things really aren't that important to me so I'm certainly not trying to state that I should get your stuff, or that I'd even use the word "need"; but your gift would be deeply appreciated and you'd be helping a bro out for sure with something I couldn't consider on my own budget. Consider my hat in the ring!
Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

Just saying...
He certainly played one, if only to sound one out. But supposedly didn't like it. "Too dark" was the description I've heard attributed to him. So it's a surprise to read he later recorded with one. Never come across that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I thought Bernard Purdie recorded that album.....
On an a stainless steel or silver sparkle maple?