DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Things you hate to have happen while drumming

First Post, poppin the cherry.

Things I hate ...

1. People (players even!) touching/tapping my cymbals & stuff. AARRGGHHH!!

2. Having to setup in "THAT" spot where my drumset must defy dimensional-physics to actually occupy the space. I know, not technically while drumming per se, but you all know what I mean :)

3. Hearing "Solo! Solo!".

Boom-Chick-Boom...
Anotheridiot.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 PM

i have realy long hair and when i play rock/metal i tend to throw my head about a bit, the problem is when im sweating my hair matts sometimes my stick gets caught in it
it hurts like hell and totaly throws me out for a couple of measures. also the stick dropping things a real pain or when you break a stick, not notice and end up sticking the sharp end through a skin
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

These are the biggest things I hate to happen (worst being #1):

1.) Sticks sliding out of my hand or getting caught under a rim and then flying away.

2.) Hitting yourself in the hand with a stick. (It really hurts!)

3.) Smashing your hand against the rim of a drum and cutting ur finger or knuckle (causing blood to go everywhere).

4.) Stands or drums moving out of postion during a song.

5.) Breaking a snare head in the beginning or end of a song, which has happened a few times lately (not good!).

6.) People with greasy or sweaty hands touching your drumsticks or playing with them. (I hate that soooooooooooooooo much)
Old 06-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

i hate getting my stick caught under my ride as i end a fill on my floor tom and go to crash. flies out of my hand, not pretty. heh, i was jamming with a friend the other day and that happened, but the stick landed close to me, so i was able to keep the beat going as i bent down to pick it up. i felt unreasonably and unhealthily cool :D
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

I hate when I do some fill, and our keyboardist can not count it, and doesn't understand it although it is in the tempo........
I hate when I hit the rim, instead of rimshot
And I hate, when some of the band player is playing faster then the tempo is....
Yeah and sometimes it happens to me, that no ideas are coming to me...so sometimes I'm not creative...yeah and that's horrible feeling
Old 06-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthebeat
Sweat in the eyes. I sweat like a crooked politcian. It stings and I cant see.
Yea I hate that also. I sometimes wear a headband to prevent that but it still happens now and then.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVdrummer
i hate when i forget to bring my snare to gigs.

it happen twice!
Well that would certainly be a problem! Twice!!! Has anyone ever called you back to gig since doing this - TWICE?!

Paul
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM

man i hate when i get to set up my kit and then the other players move their amps so close i cant get in!!!looks really nice tryin to crawl under stands.or when i hit myself in the side of the head!any time gear breaks,always a pain.also when your playing great and a fight breaks out in front of the club and the crowd rushes out side to watch,aarrgggghhh!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:38 AM

How about when your playing and your tired or not paying attention and you hit the rim of your toms well it might just be me because my practice kit is small...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 AM

Past gig this weekend. Played my new dw's for the 3rd time.
Have the case of the sliding hi hat. (pearl high hat not dw of course) I had to slide the thing back to me almost every song. Towards the second set the second night, I realized my feet on the high hat were set for concrete. Turned em over to spikes, did not have the problem again.
Worse thing that ever happened to me in a gig was, I standing up at the end of a song one time to do the what I call "train wreck rolls" and I went to sit back down on the drummers thrown and I had managed to move the thing away from me somehow with my leg.
I went to sit down, thrown not there, drummer straight on his ass. I really felt like playing afterwards...LOL....talk about the noise... I am a rather large guy as well....

THE DDRUM REVOLUTION...
DDRUM ACOUSTIC DRUMS since 1983
Old 07-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVdrummer
i hate when i forget to bring my snare to gigs.

it happen twice!

but i learn my lesson. but while drumming i hate when they mic the toms bad adn they get on the way.
I forgot to bring floor tom legs one time. Had to go back and get em. But what did you do when you forgot the snare?
Mic your own drums. If you have an engineer or sound man, let him check your mics and see if the placement is ok with him. If he does not like the way it is set up, ask him how he prefers you to have it setup. But you be the one with the LAST descision. The engineer or sound man does not have to worry about hitting the microphones or cords. You do.

THE DDRUM REVOLUTION...
DDRUM ACOUSTIC DRUMS since 1983
Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Here's one. Knockin you bass player unconscious in the middle of a gig. He was leaning in trying to tell me something, (never found out what), near my 16" crash. I (of course) was deep in the groove, prob with my eyes closed, lookin real cool n stuff and just then I noticed that my new Sabian sounded a lot like someone beating somebody between the eyes with a 5b.............which, as it turns out, was exactly what that sound was. He kinda recovered after a few mins sitting down. The crowd all saw it and thought it was hilarious!! Bassist did find it funny after a while.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

1. dropping the sticks
2. having my hardware break during a gig
3. messing up in anyway
4. playing the wrong song
5. hitting my hand on the rim of a drum (that has happened to me before. It killed)

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 07-10-2006, 08:52 PM

i hate when i go for a rim shot and hit my finger on the rim it doesnt happen often but it hurts like all get out
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM

I hate when I mute a cymbal crash and the cymbal splits finger open. When I first started gigging I used to have issues with my set. I would set my floor tom like in inch higher and would not know intell I got a sharp reminder from my finger.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 PM

I hate hitting myself in the knee, or on my nose (sticks coming up to high on the highhat). When the bass drum slips, or when I have had the pedal slip and go on a completely 90 degree angle to the bass drum so it is virtualy hitting nothing. (only happens on my schools drumset, a fellow drummer had to move it and hold it for the whole rest of the song, I thank him for that) I hate breaking a stick and when people tell me to stop drumming.

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM

I hate hitting myself in the knee, or on my nose (sticks coming up to high on the highhat). When the bass drum slips, or when I have had the pedal slip and go on a completely 90 degree angle to the bass drum so it is virtualy hitting nothing. (only happens on my schools drumset, a fellow drummer had to move it and hold it for the whole rest of the song, I thank him for that) I hate breaking a stick and when people tell me to stop drumming.

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM

Bass drums may slide, heads and sticks may break, but my worst ever experience was a walking throne, with me on it, that walked right off the back of the rather narrow riser.

There was no chance for a graceful recovery, and no way to play it off as part of the act.

I just looked stupid, and it hurt too!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM

i've hit my thumbs a couple of times when playing a fast beat on the hihat but dont ussually drop the sticks i do miss a cymbal once in a while speacilly at practice after a gig because then i'l just set up the drums really quick and not really pay attention to where everythin is suppost go perfectly lol but i think thats it another one is so,ethin that i think is wrong with my bass drum, whenever i'm doing some double bass with my singlepedal it seems to want to slide off for some reason and its not the pefal i checked... so basically i'm savin some money to get taht pacifit mxr series cherry fade to black wat do u guys think?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM

Thinking about that really cool fill you have been practicing all week....only to have it become a complete train wreck when you actullay play it.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 PM

any lefty (left hand lead) drummers will agree that having to re-arrange a righty set in less than 5 minutes is an olympic event. especially when its a 6pc (3 rack toms) and cymbals everywhere on a 8'x8' riser that was almost 3 feet off the ground. this happened to me at battle of the bands in high school. I was dog-tired before our first song. not to mention I naturally wasn't used to the hap-hazzard set-up and I missed many drums and cymbals, dropped sticks, and had to limit my fills. we got 3rd place out of 6 bands though!

another thing that shivers my timbers is when someone new you're playing with "shows" you how he wants you to play a beat because you're "not doing it right," when in fact you were just experimenting to see if something else sounds better. (In a kind of karma-inspired moment the person trying to show me on my lefty drum set can't do it anyway!) Or what I really hate is when they try to beat-box the way they want you to do it. I can understand if they said so beforehand that they need it a certain way for a recording, but it's insulting to our intelligence as creative drummers not wanting to do the same-ol', same-ol'. GRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 PM

I hate it when my car gets broken into during gigs. That's pretty much the worst.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I would hate to break a cymie........... they cost so much to replace....... i would be devastated!!! :-(

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Man! You guys make drumming sound like a full-contact sport! Hitting faces, knees, thumbs, bass players, noses....etc. I can play fairly hard and I don't ever recall hitting any part of my body. If anything, just rims or a complete miss of the drum/cymbal.

I guess that's at the top of my list. Nothing worse than doing a great big powerful round-house fill only to end it with a big whiff of air.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 AM

Of course i hate dropping my sticks.. and my Hi Hat has a thing u need 2 turn to make it stay. i hate when i hit that and i cant make the hi hats move apart
Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 AM
A Drumming Donkey
This message has been deleted by A Drumming Donkey.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

guess you'll keep extra sticks nearby from now on, eh?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM

I hate getting stabbed in the middle of the chorus.
Also falling out of the helicopter is unfortunate.
And I think we all dread the giant squid attack.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh I have one! When I break a stick and I reach over to pick up a new one, and they slip out of my hand as I bring it out.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Holy Schmoly,

I'm sitting here at work reading all of these stories laughing out loud. This has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read on many forums. I don't know of many other kinds of musicians that take this kind of abuse from their own actions and still love to play day in and day out. I guess I have lots more experiences to look forward too. So far my list is:

- flying sticks

- smacking the rim of my tom rather than the head

- having the nut holding the beater loosen and then drop down and nearly rip a hole in the batter head of my drum from the opposite end dragging back across the head.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgdrums722
Having the bass drum begin to slide away from you as you hit it in the middle of a song.
oh god. i HATE that. and then once it starts going further away and you start hitting it at an outwards angle, it just goes farther, and farther, and FARTHER... ARGH!

that, and having sweat drip into your eyes. that doesn't feel so good.

i think hamsterboy's wins, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterboy
Here's one. Knockin you bass player unconscious in the middle of a gig. He was leaning in trying to tell me something, (never found out what), near my 16" crash. I (of course) was deep in the groove, prob with my eyes closed, lookin real cool n stuff and just then I noticed that my new Sabian sounded a lot like someone beating somebody between the eyes with a 5b.............which, as it turns out, was exactly what that sound was. He kinda recovered after a few mins sitting down. The crowd all saw it and thought it was hilarious!! Bassist did find it funny after a while.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:46 AM

Kids don't try this without a parent present ...your mother or sister specifically..... In the 80's....and i swear I only put on make up & eye liner once ...

my original band was performing a Showcase in front of some extremely notable people in the music business and from the very 1st song the sweat dripped down my face......the eye liner went into my eyes & burned like you can't imagine.....i played the whole gig with my eyes completely shut from the burning...& tears rolling down my face....

I played great anyway & no one really noticed & it was so bad I had to have my bass player help me to the dreesing room because i couldn't even open my eyes....Never again !!!! my most hated moment onstage

Lee
Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 AM

getting into a interesting groove or practicing an interesting new beat and really focused and the stick just slips out of your hand for no reason it doesnt fly it just slips out of your hands
Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 AM

Yep, pretty much everyone has listed my usual pet peeves, but one thing happened at a huge picnic we played that just about killed me.
The park was a monster and just over a thousand people were to be spread over the grounds, so when we did our sound check, the fella running the thing told us we weren't loud enough. Yeah, we don't hear that very much do we? Anyways, we mic'ed everything, including my entire kit. Well halfway thru the second of the five sets we were doing, I did a nice fill that I like and for some reason, smacked the snare mic and it came off. There it was, dangling in between the snare and bass, pretty much bouncing with every kick beat...and making some terrible, off-beat noise. And yes, people asked me later what that noise was.
Not something that happens a lot, but happened nonetheless.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 AM

Probably the biggest one is when I go to hit a cymbal on the other side of the set of where I was playing, and its a crucial moment, but I completely miss the bow of the cymbal and hit the bell or even the felt, it just totally kills the whole feeling. That one kind of makes me a little frustrated...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM

Ok, this is so Spinal Tap but when you play on a drum platform that is not constructed well for the job. You fall thru the platform wishing you could spontaneous combust & turn into a green globule like the past drummers of Spinal Tap.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 PM

This may be slightly off the beaten path, but this is what I hate to have happen while I'm playing. I hate it when the band's playing a kickin' song and some lovely young women jump up on stage and decide to dance with the bass player, effectively making him a bass player sandwich - or worse yet, decide they're gonna grind him silly on stage. All the while I'm the one laying down the beat they're dancing to. I get green with envy. I do get my "revenge" of sorts in between sets however. Women tend to like drummers better than bassists.....

Saint
Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 AM

I think we can all agree, one of the most annoying aspects of drumming (people who are heavy on the double-bass might notice it more) is...

You guessed it, swamp ass. I always make sure to have another pair of pants ready after a long time on the drum throne. Don't act like it doesn't happen to you, you know it does.

; )
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 AM

^^ yeah swamp ass SUCKS

my biggest annoyance is that my double bass pedal(the remote one*referred to as a slave?) slides when i play it, usually running into the leg of my hi hat, making it unplayable!(any suggestions on stopping that?)

Few others would be....
cymbal stands falling down
smashing your knuckles on rims/sticks/cymbals
cracking cymbals
Old 10-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

I was playing in front of 4,000 people in the charlotte arena and had the following happen,
1.Drumstick flew out of my hand and into the audiance.
2.lost my balance, and fell over backwards( I was into it to much)
3. Tom Tom fell off(Not screwed on tight enough)

That day was awesome and sucked at the same time!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:16 AM

For me, just a few things.

I hit my finger on my snare hoop while doing a really hard rim shot..broke my finger..that wasn't fun.

Had someone try to walk off with my cymbal bag....(luckily my band and I chased him down the street and proceeded to teach him a thing or two about being curtious)

I had a stick break in half (one to many rim shots I guess) and the top piece went flying off of the riser and into the first couple rows....I thing I hit soem poor girl in the head.....on a related topic, I had my lucky hat stolen by a few teenie boppers (15 and 16 yr old girls for those of you not from CT) and they wouldn't give it back unless I took pictures with them and my band....yeah..but on the bright side, one of their moms was pretty hot.....(and don't laugh....I'm sure im not the only one with a lucky hat..those of you who have one would go through ANYTHING to get it back, just like me.)