DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Big_Philly

Default Does your drumming style match your personality?

Just something that crawled into my mind recently... When I look at my own drumming style, I am the kind of drummer that tries to lay down a solid, functional groove and gets sophistication through small accents and details rather than lightning-quick drum rolls all over the kit (I'm not saying that one is better than the other). I noticed that this is also my style when it comes to jewellery, clothes, cars... I want functional things that are distinguishable and stylish, but for example I don't want my wrist watch to draw all attention by its shinyness or the presence of too many diamonds (my watch is actually made of brushed steel and a carbon-fiber look back plate with some polished steel accents). In cars I also like cars that look special and sophisticated, without people having to put on sunglasses to look at them safely. The music I listen to most is often alternative, but not obnoxious.

Same goes for my unix snare (and the rest of my kit): different, but not obnoxious.

I am just wondering: how does your style of drumming relate to your tastes in clothes, jewellery, music, cars etc.?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does your drumming style match your personality?

Funny, our singer and I were talking on the phone not long ago and he reckoned my drumming reflected the conceptual rather than aesthetic way I approach things (I should add that he likes my playing).

While our playing reflects our personality, it can also reflect things that we try not to inflict on others. For instance, I'm very laid back but I can be a whole lot more intense inside ... and sometimes that comes out in my drumming.

I suspect a lot of people are more intense on the kit than they are socially, but maybe some of that's character acting. If your band's playing hard rock you can't sit there going tippity tappity tap ...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

I think the fact that I am a drummer reflects who I am in general. I tend to be the leader, but not necessarily the guy out in front. I tend to be solid, and believe in having a firm foundation in most things in my life. I am not flashy and I dont beg for attention. I just go about my business and get the job done.

I guess that does sum up my playing style. I am solid and really just try to provide a good foundation for the rest of the band.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

My drumming style is: solid, not too fancy, trying to play the music but I also like to add sophistication and groove wherever possible. My ego wants everyone to know that I'm playing within myself ... if that makes sense.

My personal style is: easy-going externally, sociable and try not to get too phased by lower-life forms. As an older, monied gent I do like some of the finer points in life such as food, wine, art, literature etc.

So is there a link? Sort of. It would be odd if I was a metal drummer. Drummers that just bash annoy me intensely and so maybe there is a connection. I like delicacy and groove over flash and so Gadd and Jojo Mayer are heroes.

Davo
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Does energy count as a personality trait? Because that's what I want my drumming to be, energetic. Not quite sure if it does have that sort of quality to it, but y'know... What can one do about their personality?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I am just wondering: how does your style of drumming relate to your tastes in clothes, jewellery, music, cars etc.?
Clothes; Well, I'm a fashion disaster, so perfect match there.
Jewellery: Just my plain band wedding ring, simple, so match there too.
Music: Hmmm, eclectic, difficult to compare really.
Cars: Ultra powerful, with strong latent dynamic, but externally subtle, so match again.

Dammit, I am how I hit!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

That's gotta be quote of the week:

"I am how I hit" ... keep it simple

Davo
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's pretty common for musicians to express who they are through their instruments. The one exception might be studio musicians who are trying to conform to the wants and needs of producers and other artists. Even then, I'm sure their style and touch are unavoidable.

I'm pretty sure I sound like my personality...quirky and weird. :P
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Big_Philly

I am currently preparing for my internship and rounding up the final courses for my master's degree. Quite busy... I'm surprised I don't play "out of time"... :)

Perhaps Zambizzi is right and playing style naturally matches your personality, but I never realised that before so I kinda liked the observation.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Kind of. I like cool things and drums are cool. I'm also more aggressive and energetic when I'm drumming than I normally am. I don't hit them as hard as I can but I'm not as reserved or shy like when I'm not drumming.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
...one exception might be studio musicians who are trying to conform to the wants and needs of producers and other artists...
This is the insightful bit as far as I see it. Like Bermuda's other thread of "guess the band" based on the drummer... I'm ashamed to admit how long I tried to crack that case before giving up. But it's relevant here because there's practically nothing in that drumming that reveals who it is. Does that drummer have no personality? (rhetorical question)

To answer the question, yes, I think my drumming style matches my personality very closely, but part of that is because I really like playing my parts my way and I think my style is somewhat distinctive as a result. That's not necessarily good or bad, but it does put some limitations on what I can, or want to do.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

No.

In person, I'm pretty quiet and easy going.
Behind a drum kick, I like to hit hard, and drive the band.

My drums are nice, top of the line kits.
My clothes are usually what ever is on sale at Target.
My car is based on can it get me and some drums from point A to B.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting question, because in my case no it doesn't. Not at all. I'm fairly nervous and...weird, I guess. But when I play the drums I'm very relaxed and focused and in control, and it feels like I'm reaching into a sort of visceral, almost atavistic part of my psyche. I only feel that when I play music, when I play the drums.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though.

My playing style is like me, very self sufficient, taking just what I need for myself, and mostly using my powers by giving musical support to the others. I try to anticipate where the soloist is going, listen and make the others sound good, and by doing so, I sound good. People want to play with you if you listen to them and complement them musically. That's the thing that makes every drummer different, their approach to the instrument and the attitude in which they play.

You have the guy who works hard at his chops and trys to impress everyone with his facility on the instrument at the expense of the song, and then you have the guy with good passable basic skills, that listens really well and plays what is required, and he will be the one who gets called by the guitar players. Even though the first guy is tecnically better, he's musically worse, and musicality trumps technicality most times.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Well I dont have a certain style of drumming naw a certain personality. So I guess you could say that :)

Youtube [Mason Rogers] for my previews
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

No, it doesn't. My life says I'm not a musician, but I am.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though..
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you - which can mean you either have poor self esteem and/or you're focused on practicalities and/or hoping for something deeper in life. So it does say something about you :-P

And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.

Show me the shape of your tea leaves and I will provide further info ....

Regards

Mme Zelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydee
No, it doesn't. My life says I'm not a musician, but I am.
Cryptic, Abe. Since you play music, doesn't that mean your life says you're a musician?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
No.

In person, I'm pretty quiet and easy going.
Behind a drum kick, I like to hit hard, and drive the band.

My drums are nice, top of the line kits.
My clothes are usually what ever is on sale at Target.
My car is based on can it get me and some drums from point A to B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you. [...]
And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.
I second what pollyanna said....
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though.

My playing style is like me, very self sufficient, taking just what I need for myself, and mostly using my powers by giving musical support to the others. I try to anticipate where the soloist is going, listen and make the others sound good, and by doing so, I sound good. People want to play with you if you listen to them and complement them musically. That's the thing that makes every drummer different, their approach to the instrument and the attitude in which they play.

You have the guy who works hard at his chops and trys to impress everyone with his facility on the instrument at the expense of the song, and then you have the guy with good passable basic skills, that listens really well and plays what is required, and he will be the one who gets called by the guitar players. Even though the first guy is tecnically better, he's musically worse, and musicality trumps technicality most times.
Well said Larry. Tempo, feel, and emotion that's it end of story.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I find having multiple personalities has given me a broader playing ability for different styles of music.
(ha, that's what he thinks)
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM

This is a great thread. I dont really think my playing matches my personality that much. Im on the quieter side, some would say a little bit shy but my playing is far from this. I guess to an extent it does at times though. For example when my friends want me to play hardcore type music with them i can get the job done but im definately out of my comfort zone if that makes any sense. Its not that its hard for me its just i dont have the passion in it like other styles of music.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

absolutly im a bit of a minimalist, i find decoration pointless anything that adorns me or my house or car has to have a functional purpose. the same with my drumming im not big into lots of rolls and the flashy stuff, i prefer beats that are practical in their application yet complex in their execution.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cryptic, Abe. Since you play music, doesn't that mean your life says you're a musician?
Aye, Pol, giving you the abridged version. Gave into an alternative career for the price of music. Playing desperate catch up now, as you know.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Yep!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you - which can mean you either have poor self esteem and/or you're focused on practicalities and/or hoping for something deeper in life. So it does say something about you :-P

You may be on to something their Polly.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:

Pol, on the surface, that seems to sound right. But testing your theory... What you are implying, from what I gather, is that the more "decorated" your drumming style, the more jewelry, the nicer the cars, and the more trendy the clothes you would likely wear. Am I on the right track?

Take Bill Bruford for example. According to your theory, if I got it right, he must drive a hot car, dress sharp and trendy, and wear jewelry. Is that an accurate summation? I have to wonder if Bill does in fact dress sharp, is he into the whole jewelry thing, and does he actually drive an expensive sports/luxury car?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

To be honest I'm completely different when I play rock s opposed to funk and jazz. Don't think I can generalise my playing really. Subdued in rock, pretty out there and expressive in hip hop and stuff. So I suppose I can't say anything about my personality when it comes to drumming
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
I find having multiple personalities has given me a broader playing ability for different styles of music.
(ha, that's what he thinks)
I'm sure you'll get an argument in there somewhere about that.....

So a reclusive, obnoxious, angry person should play...... jazzpunk?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Derek Roddy comes to mind, who plays aggressive, fast, dark and rather negative-vibed music, but seems to be very easy-going, friendly and positive as a person. I don't know him personally though.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
which can mean you either have poor self esteem
I'd have guessed high self esteem rather. Someone who hasn't the need to try to be someone by wearing certain clothes or accessoires or jewel, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

my drumming style is really really funk and groove influenced. always try to find the rhythmic pulse and groove. im a pretty laid back peaceful person, and im not such an agressive drummer.... i guess i do kinda match how i play
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pol, on the surface, that seems to sound right. But testing your theory... What you are implying, from what I gather, is that the more "decorated" your drumming style, the more jewelry, the nicer the cars, and the more trendy the clothes you would likely wear. Am I on the right track?

Take Bill Bruford for example. According to your theory, if I got it right, he must drive a hot car, dress sharp and trendy, and wear jewelry. Is that an accurate summation? I have to wonder if Bill does in fact dress sharp, is he into the whole jewelry thing, and does he actually drive an expensive sports/luxury car?
Can't speak about Bill's tastes out of music but he does pay attention to how he dresses - remember how he wore those overalls with the big B on the front when in Crimson? He was also known to be difficult to work with ... definitely a healthy ego.

There's a few comments here from people saying that they are quiet socially but more wild when drumming. I think that's a matter of expressing sides of themselves that they don't feel able to express normally.

Most metalheads I've met have been really mellow guys. I guess they figure that it's a better life decision and more ethical to get their wild side - or longings - out of their systems in music than to run around beating people up and throwing bricks through windows.

Played with a guitarist for years who you'd figure was the mellowest guy but when he was off the leash his solos were full on. As I got to know him better I realised that under that mild exterior was a ton of turmoil ...