DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Thoughts on Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage?

Hello,

This kit is available in my area. I'd like to ask for thoughts on the kit...quality and value. I'd like to see if this kit is worthy of a visit to the seller's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2523113469.html

Thank you.

Regards,
Allan
Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Thoughts on Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage?

I don't know if im sure, but I think these advantage drums are about the same price as the normal Stage Customs.. Pretty good drums as far as I know. They look just like my drums, which are the Yamaha Stage Custom 100% Birch. It does look VERY cheap for all those (Zildjian A custom) cymbals along with the kit.
I'd take it! Good luck btw :)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

That price sounds high to me. I could see paying 600 - 650 if I just had to have those exact pies.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 AM

I had a 5 piece stage custom advantage kit in same color but didn't have the 14 x 14 floor tom. They are made in Indonesia btw not that it matters.

I think the difference between the advantage and the fusion kit was the advantage had the 16 x 16 floor tom while other had a smaller stand mounted one.

This was a few years (or more I forget) back but my 5 piece kit came with 700 series hardware and I paid $899 from musicians friend.

Like the other poster said with 3 decent cymbals it may be a good deal but the ZBT' sux I had some. Make an offer and see what he says.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Stage Custom Advantage is a later trim level of Stage Custom, it doesn't have anything to do with how many drums are in the set. They are great drums that hold their tuning and sound much more expensive than they are. However, the price is high for a used set. New, that set might have gone for 700 plus cymbals. If it's now in excellent condition, I'd pay between 400 and 500 for the drums (and he says the 16" has chips, so probably on the lower end). The one 16" medium crash and the ride are good cymbals, but that set of cymbals is not $600 good. I'd go as high as $700 but be angling for $600.

At least this guy didn't outright insult your intelligence and ability to research Stage Customs, like some other people I could mention.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I am not much into discussing price, but I just recently acquired an older set of Yamaha Stage Custom Advantages in this purple finish.

I don't even think they are the all-birch version, like the more recent ones, but they are great sounding drums. I got these as a knock-around gigging kit, and I think they will do a great job. I put clear Ambassadors on bottom and clear Emperors on top. I replaced the snare heads and snares, and the drum now has quite a bit of character and a strong, woody sound.

One note : I am getting an undeniable interaction between the mounted hardware and the Y.E.S.S. system used to mount the toms. My 14" tom is mounted to the ride cymbal stand, and originally, when I would put the ride on the stand, the sustain of the drum would cut in half. I got a new stand, and the problem reversed itself, i.e., the sustain would cut in half when I removed the ride cymbal. I ended up buying a R.I.M.S. hoop and all is good now. I noticed a similar, undesirable effect with the 12" rack tom, when I tried to attach a mini-boom arm, with bell cymbal, to the bass drum tom mount. Not sure if they have improved Y.E.S.S. since these were made, but I have scratched my head several times.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Steverok, i got those new birch ones. They're pretty cool. Your kit looks actually pretty good in that purple finish with the long chrome lugs! Congratulations on the buy.
My stage custom 16'' floor tom has 3 legs instead of the yess system. I play my kit as a 4pc and leave out the 10'' tom and use the 12 as a rack. When i recently put on the 10 again, the 10'' had no sustain at all. Then I removed the 12'' to see what were going on, and suddenly the 10'' had lots of sustain...

YESS system = NOT improved.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

That is strange. I'm glad I don't have that issue. Initially, I figured the problem was related to the large size of the 14", but I don't think so, since I also hear weirdness with the 12" when I try to install the boom arm. Not sure about the mounting systems of other kits in this price range, but I would call the YESS system the weakness of this kit. The drums themselves, and the rest of the hardware, are all very good.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

I think that too. The drums are pretty good. The mounting system works well, it's easy to put the drums where you want and such. But it seems to affect sound alot.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Those long high tension lugged Stage Customs are the best together with the small lugged version that came right after (with matte finishes) imo.

They come very close to the old Tour Custom regarding sound. Witch means more low end then an RC for instance. I had a 14x11 hanging TC tom and it compared easily to my 16x16 RC.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Actually Poplar is a species of wood that grows all over the world and is common on entry level drums. It has nothing to do with Philippine Mahogany and doesn't even resemble it visually or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
The Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage, is the same configuration as the early YD-8000 “Tour Custom”, shell wise (Birch and Philippine Mahogany). Many uneducated poo on Philippine Mahogany (Meranti) not understanding it’s actually from the Dipterocarpaceae family (White Meranti) with Janka hardness of 1050 to 1600 depending on the species used. Birch and Maple have a janka hardness of 900 to 1250.

Philippine Mahogany is a hardwood with a very tight end grain, and a Janka hardness equal or exceeding Maple and Birch, which makes it an excellent wood for drum shell construction. The wood remains in use today in the drum manufacturing industry, its simply referred to by a general classification “Poplar”. Its been well proven that drum sound has little to do with the shell material and more to do with the, bearing edge, heads and tension assembly.

I like the appearance of the older stage custom long lug, I don’t really care for the new single, mini lug appearance, especially on Floor Toms. I own a set of those newer stage customs, but they will go on the auction block and I will return to the older version simply because I like the looks of the long lugs, and I have no issues with how they sound.

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

The point I was making is that when manufacturers state "Poplar" as the wood species used in a drum kit, they actually mean Poplar... Not as you stated Meranti (cause it looks just like poplar according to you)

The only Meranti (Lauan/Philippine mahogany) I've ever seen drums made of is the dark long-grain variety and the reddish variety. So as much as you claim I confuse this with poplar, I don't see how???

Feel free to keep "schooling" us old guys that have taken apart 100s of drum kits.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:27 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
And again that is what happens when people who have no understanding of woods attempt to shed light on a subject for which they have no knowledge...
Philippine Mahogany or actually Meranti is a Shorea genus wood which is more akin to poplar than Mahogany. It comes in 4 flavors Light Red, White, Yellow and Balau

The White species have a Janka hardness which is exactly the same as Birch or Maple (1050), the yellow has a Janka hardness of 700 and the Balau is much harder having a Janka hardness of over 1400, which is more in line with oak. The Light red Meranti has a Janka hardness of 550 which is in line with North American tulip wood.

If one was to look at those various woods there is no way one could ever tell the difference between Meranti and Poplar or Birch for that matter as they all appear externally the same to the naked eye.

Instead of spewing nonsense some of you should study more and comment less especially when it comes to the engineering behind drum shell construction. Maybe you should actually study the engineering behind drum shells and realize they have nothing to do with drum sound and everything to do with drum structure. They are more like a speaker cabinet than anything else.

Do you actually think that the column of air within a drum which is moved by impacting the head actually penetrates the Shell plies, related glue and finish materials in order to produce sound? If such is true why have a resonant drum head at all? why not just block off the lower portion of the drum with more glued together plies of wood? Or better yet turn the drum on its side and play the shell and not the head?

If you are of the false impression that drum shells produce sound then flip your drums on their side and play the shells and see what type of drum sound is produced, it will be a learning experience.

The reason specific woods are chosen to make drum shells is due to three reasons, Wood hardness, the ability to form plies, and the ability to work or machine plies. White Meranti is chosen for drum making by some of the best drum manufacturers in the world. It has a janka hardness equal to that of birch and maple at a fraction of the cost. Its been used in Yamaha drums since the YD series was constructed back in the 1970s it was part of the shell construction of the YD, 7000, 8000 and 5000 series and continued with the Stage custom since the mid 1990s. Do you honestly think an excellent drum manufacturer like Yamaha would stake their reputation on an inferior wood?

The stench placed on Philippine Mahogany emanated for creations with zero understanding of drum wood selection or shell laminate construction. They praise poplar which has a Janka hardness of 500 or less while they poo on the more structurally sound White Meranti which has twice the structural hardness...
Lots of good info here. I'm not fond of the personal attacks.

We try and treat people with respect and dignity, even if we disagree, as if they were in the same room.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

I'm very rarely tempted to use an 'ignore' feature.

I'm not even sure if this forum has one.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

The info sure SEEMS good until you consider the incorrect statements made by the same poster on the same topic. Makes me dismiss everything that comes from the same source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Lots of good info here. I'm not fond of the personal attacks.

We try and treat people with respect and dignity, even if we disagree, as if they were in the same room.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:46 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I played a set in backline a few weeks ago and it recorded wonderfully and sounded real nice from the throne.

Someone before me knew how to tune.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

On the plus side, the original question was asked 8 years ago, so the OP is unlikely to be troubled by the rancour.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I played a set in backline a few weeks ago and it recorded wonderfully and sounded real nice from the throne.

Someone before me knew how to tune.

He probably threw some good vibes into those Philippine Mahogany Poplar Meranti Lauan shells while he was tuning them up - LOL
Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
On the plus side, the original question was asked 8 years ago, so the OP is unlikely to be troubled by the rancour.
And trouble he is, mmm (spoken like Yoda)
Attached Images