DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default More sage advice from Mr. Wooten

http://youtu.be/2U2cOVgaKBM

As usual, he's talking specifically about the bass, but I think any idiot can see how every word also relates to drum solos, perhaps even more than with a bass guitar. It's short. Check it out!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: More sage advice from Mr. Wooten

Perfect! Very well said.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks for that Watso. Groove is a high pinnacle of rhythm. It's it's own discipline. All it takes is a split second where the groove falters, or worse, drops out completely, and I can literally see and sense the audience's immediate letdown. Like the groove is a cloud of air that everyone is floating on and suddenly the cloud splits and you make contact with the ground. Bummer.

Keeping the groove going without falter is an unsung skill. It's an ideal I strive for on every song. Most don't understand exactly what's involved in creating a seamless, unfaltering, unwavering groove, but they know immediately when it's not there. And they unconsciously subtract "points" when it's taken from them.

Vic knows. He really gets it. It's great to see/hear someone who understands it enough to explain it that easily.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad that I get chances to sit in for bands with members a lot older than me. Being 19, all the kids my age are all into metal and playing the fastest double bass and crazy fills possible. Meanwhile I'm away from the "cool table" having an awesome time playing a slow blues shuffle. It's refreshing to see stuff like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Great advice. Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Just about wrapped everything up that matters for me :)

So that's now the second reason why I'd never do a solo live. The first being that I'm shit at them ;)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Thanks for that Watso. Groove is a high pinnacle of rhythm. It's it's own discipline. All it takes is a split second where the groove falters, or worse, drops out completely, and I can literally see and sense the audience's immediate letdown. Like the groove is a cloud of air that everyone is floating on and suddenly the cloud splits and you make contact with the ground. Bummer.

Keeping the groove going without falter is an unsung skill. It's an ideal I strive for on every song. Most don't understand exactly what's involved in creating a seamless, unfaltering, unwavering groove, but they know immediately when it's not there. And they unconsciously subtract "points" when it's taken from them.

Vic knows. He really gets it. It's great to see/hear someone who understands it enough to explain it that easily.
It's funny... Some people really get this, and others spend a lifetime on music and still never understand this basic premise of a good groove that lays under everything. Anthony's "wave" analogy is one of the best I've heard and I think that's the root of what he's talking about. Just as with a bass solo, if the drummer takes a solo and decides that this is the time to simply show off chops one after another, most people are going to ignore it on some level.

Those weird poly-rhythms with incorporated 30 bar triplet patterns or what have you are certainly "impressive" for their own sake, and you might even impress a drummer in the audience, but most people are going to sub-consciously zone out on some level. However... If you hold back, if you make a huge effort to hold the underlying wave of groove in their heads, while maybe playing with the rhythms or throwing in some interesting fills within your groove, you'll end up keeping more people in the music instead of in your solo as something separate. Maybe people won't come away with the impression that you're the most impressive drummer in the universe, but you'll know that you made the musical choice and really elevated the song instead of taking people out of it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

This is why Victor is the man. He makes me want to play less notes ;)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Maybe people won't come away with the impression that you're the most impressive drummer in the universe, but you'll know that you made the musical choice and really elevated the song instead of taking people out of it.
Wanting to come across as the most impressive drummer in the universe...that's where the groove faltering has its roots. If you dispense with that completely, and shift your focus instead to the groove, instead of yourself, well that's the right path. Any drumming that has your ego at it's core is bound to fail on some level. It's been proven to myself time and time again, my ego is a hurdle that is best avoided completely. And isn't it curious that once you dispense with the ego, and do what really wants to be done, the ego gets what it needs. It's another example of things being backwards.

One of the greatest quotes concerning music I've ever read is:

When doing art, it's best to just dispense with good and bad altogether and just get on with it.

I liken "good and bad" to the ego.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

It's a great generalization, but it depends on the music you're playing. I guess that goes without saying, but I guess I'm saying it. This forum is very rock-centric.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 AM

Thats because Rock rocks and rolls.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
It's a great generalization, but it depends on the music you're playing. I guess that goes without saying, but I guess I'm saying it. This forum is very rock-centric.
Specifically, it depends more on the audience. Obviously folks who go to a Weckl show are expecting to see some blazing out there solos, and it probably matters less if he sticks to the original groove/theme or not.

Nothing is absolute, but I still think that this tip is extremely useful to almost all drummers or rhythm players in general.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Specifically, it depends more on the audience. Obviously folks who go to a Weckl show are expecting to see some blazing out there solos, and it probably matters less if he sticks to the original groove/theme or not.
I agree, probably most Weckl fan expect the flashy stuff from the man, however, he can play the most infectious groovy solo depending on the context :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvXYgcARwU

... but I agree with the general idea of "groove soloing" by Mr Wooten, it can be translated to "swing soloing" for the jazz cats...