songs that use all ride cymbal to keep beat

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I was listening to Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum, and noticed that the drummer rides the cymbal for the entire song, and it has a very cool sound to it. Our band plays Wish You Were Here by Floyd, which also requires ride throughout.

What other songs exclusively use the ride cymbal to keep the beat of the song?

I was listening to Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum, and noticed that the drummer rides the cymbal for the entire song, and it has a very cool sound to it. Our band plays Wish You Were Here by Floyd, which also requires ride throughout.

What other songs exclusively use the ride cymbal to keep the beat of the song?

Nicko McBrain from Maiden usually rides constantly through songs. Not on all the songs, but he does on the most. A good example would be "Aces High".
I could think of more but i`m too lazy. This was the first thing that came to my mind.

A lot of jazz. It is almost exclusive, but songs like In the Mood use the hi hats exclusively which I think is the inverse of what I think you are trying to get at.

Gavin Harrison uses a lot of ride in Porcupine Tree's music. For example, "Drown With Me" is entirely on ride, with some hi-hat splashes from the left hand thrown in.

I think The Shape I'm In by The Band is mainly on the ride, its been a while since I've played/listened to it

LA Woman..The Doors.....song cooks at around 170 BPM all on the ride cymbal except the bridge. One of my fav's! Love playing it! Denis

Yes..I'm old....."Last Date" by Floyd Cramer...also by him...."On The Rebound"...nice uptempo song.
Also...The Beatles...."The Night Before"....

My band plays a few Hendrix tunes where the ride is carrying the tune.....Hey Joe, Foxy Lady, All Along the Watchtower.......at least that's how I interperet how Mitch was doing it.
Nevertheless, it works!

Back