R.I.P. Chuck Biscuits (1965-October 29, 2009)

dale w miller

Silver Member
Chuck Biscuits (1965-October 29, 2009)

Prolific punk drummer Chuck Biscuits died Saturday after a lengthy struggle with throat cancer. He was 44.

Chuck Biscuits (April 17, 1965 – October 24, 2009), born Charles Montgomery, was the original drummer for the metal band Danzig. He was most recently a member of the punk rock band Social Distortion.

Biscuits is the brother of Ken "Dimwit" Montgomery, who also played drums for D.O.A. and many other Vancouver punk bands. Biscuits joined Black Flag in 1982 and toured with them for 5 months, with his only studio recordings for the band appearing on a bootleg album. After leaving Floorlords Biscuits planned to quit the music business and took courses in art and electrical engineering, before music producer Rick Rubin invited him to become the drummer for Danzig. Biscuits had been Glenn Danzig's first choice as drummer for his band. He joined Danzig in 1987 and appeared on the bands first four albums and one EP. In 1990 he also recorded drums for Glenn Danzig's final Samhain album. In 1994 he became the first member of the original Danzig line-up to leave the band, citing a contract dispute as the reason for his departure. Biscuits participated in a special concert held on December 28, 1994 to honour the lifetime achievements of his brother Ken, who had died earlier in the year of a drug overdose. He has named his main influences as John Bonham, Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland. He has left the punk rock scene since quitting Social Distortion in 1999.

1984CJ5.jpg

Re: Chuck Biscuits (1965-October 29, 2009)

Wow, that's really sad. Chuck was a big influence on me, both from a playing standpoint and with his stage presence. I remember seeing him live on the How the Gods Kill tour and he had amazing presence, flailing away on supersized drums with a rack tom that looked to be the size of a floor tom with those massive DC 10 Promarks (I still have one he gave me :)

RIP Chuck.

Chuck Biscuits death reports allegedly a hoax

Earlier today, blogs and websites began reporting that Social Distortion and Danzig drummer Chuck Biscuits (Charles Montgomery) had succumbed to throat cancer. After it showed up on a number of reputable news sites, even we picked up the story. However, James Greene, the author of the original story now has statements from the drummer's family stating that Chuck is still alive.

The author received the following e-mail from the wife of Montgomery's brother. "This note is on behalf of Bob Montgomery, who ask me (his wife) to let you know that CHUCK IS ALIVE. Bob is on his way to see him now and will send you a follow up email in the near future."

Greene says on his site that he had been in contact with a couple claiming to be Charles Montgomery and his wife since May, and that he may have fallen victim to an "elaborate hoax."

A post on his site reads: "Rumors are beginning to swirl that this is some kind of elaborate hoax. If so, I can assure you I am NOT in on it. I have previously chronicled my contact with Chuck/person(s) claiming to be Chuck(?) and never had any reason to disbelieve their claims...

...All I can tell you is I've been communicating with two people since May I was always 99.999% sure were THE Chuck Biscuits and his wife from e-mail addresses bearing their names. They never asked me to wire money to a Nigerian prince or adopt their child, so I took it all at face value.

Chuck's wife is allegedly the one who has been sending out mass e-mails about Chuck's condition to family and friends; I didn't use her name below because I didn't know if she'd be comfortable with that and it didn't seem like a good time to bring it up, considering her husband was dying. I'm still not going to use her name on the same grounds.

Although I can't imagine why a former member of Danzig would want to fake his own death via the Internet, I know plenty of people who severely dislike me and would take any chance they could to play on my gullibility to make me look as stupid as possible (i.e. e-mail me for six months pretending to be a dying drummer I admire). If this is all a big fat lie, I'm sorry, but I promise I was duped just as hard as you.]"

This all comes only a few weeks after a false rumor was started that Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley had died.

We'll bring you updates when they become available. But we wanna know: What do you think of all this?

http://www.altpress.com/news/biscuitsrumor.htm

news_chuckbiscuits.jpg

People die every day. It's the ones that come back that freak me out.

Way to go Dale.

Back