Warranty Rant

mikyok

Platinum Member
Anyone had or having a real crappy time dealing with retailers when it comes to warranties.

In the years I've been playing and I suppose I'm lucky in this instance, I've never had something that's been faulty. If something goes it's usually wear and tear or my own fault.

Anyhoo, I've had to send my JoJo pedal back to the retailer as it's faulty. (Clamping mechanism is constantly failing mid-gig and pedal folding up. Yes I've made sure the clamp isn't too tight on the hoop!) I contacted Sonor before hand and they said to send it back to the retailer. The retailer said to post the pedal into them as they'd had this problem with them before........Sound simple so far.

Since then I've had two conversations with someone who doesn't seem to think there's a problem with it despite trying everything to make the pedal work before sending the pedal in....... including:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93638

During the 2nd conversation this morning the shop informed me they had been using it to teach lessons all weekend and left it on a kit all weekend and it hadn't folded up. How thoughtful of them to let some potential lead footed shed builder who's just starting lessons loose on my gear.

He then asked what bass drum I was attaching it too. Why should that matter, it's advertised as attaching to any bass drum! I'm struggling to understand the point of warranty when it's not being honoured and you're constantly patronised because some salesperson has been on a course to talk to you like a toddler.

He's going to play it for a few hours tonight.......are we seeing a problem here. Obviously I'm too stupid to realise my pedal is broken myself and he's admitted he's a heavy hitter.

And breathe.

You might try contacting Sonor regarding the problem, but the regional sales rep will be more hands-on with the store, and eager to help make it right. You will probably need to contact Sonor for their name. Sonor's distributor in the US is KHS/Mapex, and may be easier to deal with to dig up the info.

Bermuda

You might try contacting Sonor regarding the problem, but the regional sales rep will be more hands-on with the store, and eager to help make it right. You will probably need to contact Sonor for their name. Sonor's distributor in the US is KHS/Mapex, and may be easier to deal with to dig up the info.

Bermuda

That's not a bad idea. Hadn't thought about that. Sonor are pretty quick at answering e-mails.

Shame my buddy isn't working in a music store anymore, they used to stock Sonor stuff, would have been easier to sort.

The most annoying part is you have to be nice to the store who are really patronising as I'm entitled to a replacement pedal. I can't understand their issue, it's a parts failure under warranty.

It should be an easy swap. It's not like the store has to eat the sale, Sonor will replace the pedal for them.

Mikyok,
Have they given you a loaner, or are they just wasting your time without a pedal to use?

Mikyok,
Have they given you a loaner, or are they just wasting your time without a pedal to use?

Hi Wally, I have a ye olde original dw5000 pedal which I've had for years, it's indestructible. A singer broke the foot plate supports so I put a Yamaha footplate on it.

It's back to no.1 for a while anyways. Before that I used a Speed King so I'm not heavy footed at all.

They are definitely wasting my time and giving me the Spanish inquisition. But then again no one expects the Spanish inquisition.

So I came into work this morning and received this:

"Hi Michael,

I've given this pedal a proper workout and it's been absolutely fine.
I'm going to send it back to you so you should see this back on Monday.

Please could I have your address again?

Best regards

Alex (Drumshack)"

My first thought was to march in London with something not dissimilar to Lucille from the Walking Dead but then I realised they'd make me explain things.

Basically the pedal has been in the shop for two weeks being abused by all who come into the shop.

I'm not dealing with them anymore so Sonor got this....thanks for the advice Bermuda!

"Hi Sonor

I’m having problems getting a replacement pedal which is under warranty.

Please see the attached e-mails, the first is the e-mail I sent to you highlighting the problem I have been having with the pedal for the last few months. Thanks for the advice but the clamp is not working correctly. (It did for the first 4 months) Hence why I have had to return it.

The second attached e-mail is the correspondence I have had with the retailer by e-mail. I have also had several conversations with this store and had to explain the problem on each occasion.

The last time I spoke to them they informed me that they had used the pedal to teach lessons last week and left it on their kit. Alex also appears to have given it good work out. For all I know this guy is a lead footed shed builder. This is not how I expect my equipment to be used and I am confused as to why they are refusing to replace the pedal when it is under warranty. It has been with them for nearly 2 weeks as far as I’m concerned it’s been abused in the store for that time. (Why has it took them so long to decide it doesn’t need replacing when it’s none of their business, they have the sale already!)

Are Drumshack qualified Sonor engineers?

Obviously after nearly 30 years of playing and studying I’m too stupid to realise that something is broken and I don’t enjoy being patronised by a salesperson who is giving me the Spanish inquisition over a genuine fault. I’m also sick of talking to the store as they’re absolutely no help at all and had no intention of replacing the pedal even though it’s none of their business to test it out for faults and argue the toss (I wouldn’t return it if it wasn’t broken!) I’m now left with one of your pedals that is not only faulty but has had other people use without my permission so could well be damaged even further. Not good customer service and defeats the idea of having a warranty on your products.

Who is your rep for the UK or distribution centre so I can get a replacement from them. The retailer has been about as much use as England in a penalty shootout.

Please re-consider using Drumshack as a stockist as their customer service is appalling and I shouldn’t have to contact you regarding a formality as something that’s under warranty.

Thanks in advance and I’m sorry for going a bit crazy but this is beyond a joke now.

Mike"

Back