DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Cameo's Avatar
Cameo Cameo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Default Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Hi, DW!
Stumbled across this 3ply maple Ludwig on a swedish e-market. The seller is a well known collector/reseller, I've seen 20+ Pork Pie- and DW-sets from him for sale on this site.

So, I'd like to hear what you think!
I've just got a reply telling me that he thinks that it'd be a fair trade - my Gretsch Renown Jazz for this Ludwig. I love the sound from 3ply drums (you may have seen me worshiping C&C) and it is equipped with banana mount and cymbal arm on bass. But I've never heard 3ply drums in real life, that's why I'm asking.
The sizes are great, as well. And it's in very good condition.

Here's a picture!


I'll buy it, I'm sure, but just wanted to share, too... :)
__________________
nordquisthastlindh.se - web design & development
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Phil Woodney Phil Woodney is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Just outside Amsterdam
Posts: 90
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

I feel your pain, my friend. I've just gone through a similar experience. I watched a 1975 Rogers set (my dream drums) on a local site for months before making a fairly low bid. So now I own three sets. The Rogers, which is in new condition, a set of Sonor Force 3000's which I use for practice, and my beloved Renown 6-piece. Something has to go because I live in a tiny flat and cannot walk around because of the drums. I love my Gretsch but I might have to let it go to get the most money back. But I don't want to. I am less attached to the Sonors, although I also like them very much. Or maybe the drum fairy will visit me and I can keep them all. :)

I'll be curious to hear what you do because those Ludwigs look and sound wonderful.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Cameo's Avatar
Cameo Cameo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
I feel your pain, my friend. I've just gone through a similar experience. I watched a 1975 Rogers set (my dream drums) on a local site for months before making a fairly low bid. So now I own three sets. The Rogers, which is in new condition, a set of Sonor Force 3000's which I use for practice, and my beloved Renown 6-piece. Something has to go because I live in a tiny flat and cannot walk around because of the drums. I love my Gretsch but I might have to let it go to get the most money back. But I don't want to. I am less attached to the Sonors, although I also like them very much. Or maybe the drum fairy will visit me and I can keep them all. :)

I'll be curious to hear what you do because those Ludwigs look and sound wonderful.
I have a feeling that I'll go for it. It's a fantastic deal!
Imagine a 24" K Light ride on a cymbal arm, attached to the bass drum, and DW 6000 flat stands. But for now... I'm going to a jazzgig in the big city - see you!
__________________
nordquisthastlindh.se - web design & development
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 2,796
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Those drums will sound great. Good luck.
__________________
Mark Wellman
Mapex Saturn (bass drum, toms, snare), MPX(snare); Sabian; Evans; La Backbeat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Stumbled across this 3ply maple Ludwig on a swedish e-market. The seller is a well known collector/reseller....

my Gretsch Renown Jazz for this Ludwig.

I'll buy it, I'm sure, but just wanted to share, too... :)
If this cat's a regular collector/seller ... then he probably ... over the years ... has owned a dozen of these kits .... buy ... sell ... trade .... always working towards the final "kit I've always wanted" ... the perfect finish, sizes, etc. Sure, the Renown are great drums and someday ... they'll be collectible .... while those Luddies are collectible, right now ....
After you get the Luddies ... the only place left to go is Gretsch round badge ....
Attached Images
 
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2011, 11:11 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Those Luddies look amazing,and from the photo,should sound amazing also.Remember,they are vivtage drums and will sound different than stuff that is made these days.Also with vintage drums.......no hot rodding.No drilling holes,changing mounts,refinishing ect.That will destroy collector value.

Before going to look at these drums,checkout the vintage drum guide on the vintage drum forum.That will give you somewhat of an education of what to look for,as there are a lot of phony drums out there.Fore warned is fore armed.

All in all,I think you will love the sound of these drums.Don't hesitate to ask questions as,there are a couple of us here who are knowledgeable about vintage Ludwig.Good Luck

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
After you get the Luddies ... the only place left to go is Gretsch round badge
That is one spectacular looking round badge. I meant to ask about it last time you posted that kit, H. Do you still own it (or did you sell it to Charlie Watts)?

As for the topic at hand......swap the Renowns for the Luddies, OP. My Ludwig bias tells me that that one is a no brainer. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
That is one spectacular looking round badge. I meant to ask about it last time you posted that kit, H. Do you still own it (or did you sell it to Charlie Watts)?
That's actually my good drummer dog buddy Lenny, and his kit ... he, at one time, owned about 13 vintage kits .... he's down to about 6, now ... and he's the guy "most" responsible for any "vintage" drum knowledge I have ... almost every vintage kit that's passed his way in the last 17 years, I've been able to play and enjoy ... and learn.
I would say, a "conservative" estimate would be ... Lenny goes thru about 5 kits a year ... 17 years ... 85 kits .... that's a lot of great drums, I've had the pleasure of "experiencing" ...
And yeah, he still owns it .... I think that one is gonna be a keeper ...
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
That's actually my good drummer dog buddy Lenny, and his kit ... he, at one time, owned about 13 vintage kits .... he's down to about 6, now ... and he's the guy "most" responsible for any "vintage" drum knowledge I have ... almost every vintage kit that's passed his way in the last 17 years, I've been able to play and enjoy ... and learn.
I would say, a "conservative" estimate would be ... Lenny goes thru about 5 kits a year ... 17 years ... 85 kits .... that's a lot of great drums, I've had the pleasure of "experiencing" ...
And yeah, he still owns it .... I think that one is gonna be a keeper ...
Awww....and here I was thinking I finally know what 'the big H' looks like too. ;-)

They say there's no experience like first hand experience. I'm thinking 85 odd vintage kits would put Lenny firmly into the "expert" category. Couldn't think of a better way to garnish a bit of vintage kowledge. You must have seen some absolute gems come and go in that time Harry. Be sure to let him know that this 'boy from Oz' thinks he has immaculate taste in drums.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Cameo's Avatar
Cameo Cameo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Those Luddies look amazing,and from the photo,should sound amazing also.Remember,they are vivtage drums and will sound different than stuff that is made these days.Also with vintage drums.......no hot rodding.No drilling holes,changing mounts,refinishing ect.That will destroy collector value.

Before going to look at these drums,checkout the vintage drum guide on the vintage drum forum.That will give you somewhat of an education of what to look for,as there are a lot of phony drums out there.Fore warned is fore armed.

All in all,I think you will love the sound of these drums.Don't hesitate to ask questions as,there are a couple of us here who are knowledgeable about vintage Ludwig.Good Luck

Steve B
Of course I won't do anything with 'em. They are the most beautiful drums as they are
I get so damn pissed of when I see someone that has modificated the tom mount on a round badge. Rage!

I'll use the kit for special occasisons, with my future big band and the Steve Jordan stuff.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
As for the topic at hand......swap the Renowns for the Luddies, OP. My Ludwig bias tells me that that one is a no brainer. ;-)
Oh, yeah!
...but could someone tell me what year this is? I know it's a 3ply maple, so it got to be 60's/70's.
__________________
nordquisthastlindh.se - web design & development
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Oh, yeah!
...but could someone tell me what year this is? I know it's a 3ply maple, so it got to be 60's/70's.
If they're 3 ply then they're earlier than '76. Can you grab a serial number? That'll give us our answer immediately. Just refer here: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/serial_numbers.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If they're 3 ply then they're earlier than '76.
You can pretty much figure they're pre-70 ... because they have the fold out spurs and the Keystone badge.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
You can pretty much figure they're pre-70 ... because they have the fold out spurs and the Keystone badge.
But of course you could. Thanks Harry......hell, the Keystone was only staring me in the face too.

Come on Pocket....LIFT!! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
MCS MCS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 50
Default Re: Trade my Gretsch for vintage Ludwig... tempting!

I've got 3 vintage Ludwig kits, two from 1964 and one from 1968 all three ply shells and they sound amazing.. You'll not be disappointed.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com