Sean Kinney

mikei

Gold Member
Hello All,

I was listening to the first 2 discs of Alice and Chains (Facelift and Dirt) yesterday for the first time in a while. Both are incredible CDs.

I really tried to concentrate on the drumming.

Sean Kinney really put interesting grooves and fills on these CDs. Very solid drummer with great taste.

Adds just enough to make it exciting, yet stable enough to keep the grooves consistent.

I was really surprised not to see his name here.

Feel free to chime in!

Mike

I swear there was a Sean Kinney thread on here somewhere, but nothing did come up in the search...but I did post in the old one.

Anyways, Sean Kinney is a very solid rock drummer. Full of power, tasteful licks, and creativity. My favorite Alice in Chains song has definitely have to be either "Again" or "Rooster". Excellent drumming indeed.

I third that !

Sean is one of my 90's inspirational drummer. Solid groove, melodic and dynamic playing, I still play along a lot to Dirt and Jar of flies.

Loyal fan for AIC since its inception. I love Sean's playing on the "Unplugged" show! So smooth and technical he makes you wanna be a better drummer. His chops are great on the song "No Excuses."

I really enjoyed his playing on the album "Grind." Most people think that is the worst album out of all of AIC's, but I beg to differ. Sean really had to work on those drum tracks, cuz the music arrangements on that album were not of the ordinary, especially for AIC.

Sean is inspirational.

I agree with "ThatGuy".
His performance on the unplugged performance was great. (especially no excuses & would)
I am a big fan of AIC, and would love to see them live.
Sean is a great drummer in my opinion, he is along side those drummers who play the drummers for the song, and not really focused on what to do to make his sound come forward and show off...

Absolutely.

Sean Kinney is an amazing drummer with excellent musician-ship. He plays everything perfectly with feel and great chops. He knows where to put things, where not to, and just serves each song perfectly.

Great drumming examples by SK:

We Die Young - especially that amazing use of double-bass at the beginning. He always knows not to over or under play.

Would? - right on target, great fills and patterns

No Excuses - just listen to the technique and you'll know what i mean

Rain When I Die - brilliant song, amazing technique and overall pattern

Sean Kinney could never be overrated, it's just improbable.

Sean Kinney's snare sounds: Roland R8 samples??

Just joined an AIC tribute band and was wondering if anyone has figured out Sean's snare sounds? Some of the early recordings sound just like snare patches from Roland's R8 model drum machine, which I used to have in the late 80's. I'm using a TD-8 V-Drum module now and am about to go thru and figure out which patches sound most like the individual songs on the albums so that I can trigger my acoustic snare live. Since it's a tribute band I want to emulate his sound to the extent possible. I'll bet there are R8 sounds in the TD-8 library, but I haven't gone through the 400 or so snares I have yet. What a nightmare...
I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if someone has already developed a list.
Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello All,

I was listening to the first 2 discs of Alice and Chains (Facelift and Dirt) yesterday for the first time in a while. Both are incredible CDs.

I really tried to concentrate on the drumming.

Sean Kinney really put interesting grooves and fills on these CDs. Very solid drummer with great taste.

Adds just enough to make it exciting, yet stable enough to keep the grooves consistent.

I was really surprised not to see his name here.

Feel free to chime in!

Mike

Great, great , great band!

Dirt is their best album for me....dark as hell.

Sean Kinney is a great drummer....agree with everything said here.

I saw AIC supporting Megadeth in the UK in the mid 90's.....that was a great show!

IMO, Sean Kinney is an AMAZING drummer with some mad skills. His groove on the intro to 'No Excuses" is simply slick, and his independance work on "Would" IMO is pretty impressive.

The thing that impresses me the most about his playing is how effortless it is to him. It looks like the sticks are doing all the work by themselves, and his hands are simply guiding them to where they need to be. So accurate and fluid, poetry in motion.

A drummer that is underated and overlooked, and needs to be on the list at Drummerworld.

The thing that impresses me the most about his playing is how effortless it is to him. It looks like the sticks are doing all the work by themselves, and his hands are simply guiding them to where they need to be. So accurate and fluid, poetry in motion.

Very well said. I noticed that his kit seems to be very tight and close which allows him to have less exagerrated movement.

Hello, Fellows.

He is a drummer with natural born skills, original, clever and grooves with the heart.

All the Best,

Attachments

• AIC.jpg
    AIC.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 10,512
  • SeanK1.jpg
    SeanK1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 13,311
  • SeanK3.jpg
    SeanK3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 19,376
Hello, All.

Sean plays DW drums mainly:
- BD: 22"
- TT: 10", 12"
- FT: 14", 16"
- 5 straight cymbal stands
- 2 snare stands
- 9500 HH stand
- 1 extra double tom stand
- Vater drumsticks
Remo head:
* Toms-clear emperors on batter, clear ambassador on bottom.
* Kick-clear P3.
* Snare-coated P3.

Best Regards,

Just wanted to bump this thread because Sean is one of my favorites. I hope they tour near me this summer I would like a chance to see them. Sad I missed AIC w/o Layne Staley.

I just started playing Dirt Again,And i LOVE THIS CATS PLAYING.And on this record.His Drum Kit sounds fantastic.Its a album that loves to be played at max. volume.... As with all their stuff.Great Band.........But i understand its not everybodys cup of tea,.........Something about the way it was recorded.I Love it. Hes a very tasty drummer in a heavy band.Kind of a strange combo........

dude was one of my biggest drumming influences way back. very creative drummer, very underrated drummer, the dirt album especially had some very creative and understated drumming especially some of the sounds he gets from his cymbals. personally id rate him up there with the best rock drummers of all time...... anyway heres a track that takes me right back that shows he has no talent lack.

"
"

didnt realise this would happen with dragging an ancient thread out of the woodwork. could have sworn i checked for a SK thread a couple days back and there wasn't one.... oh well.

Last edited:
Back