You know you're a drummer when...

You get frustrated when the music you're listening to as you walk down the road is either too fast or too slow to practically walk to.
Or biking, running. If the music is slow, it's out of synch with what I am physically doing. I find that to be a pet peeve. I was thinking this last week on the exercise bike...had to switch to half and double-times and change resistances a few times. lol

I don't have automatic door locks in my van, and I have a DIY table built in between the seats, so I cant reach the passenger door from the drivers seat without contorting myself. I use a drumstick to wack the little rounded lock button when I need to lock the passenger door. It's a very tiny target because it's rounded hard plastic on top. It makes me smile when I get it on the first try. Getting better at that.

I had to get a new car in February as my other one died. I was paying cash & was offered a fabulous deal on a 5 year old Jaguar X-type, but it wouldn't have fitted my kit in. I ended up getting a Renault Laguna.

Last week I needed to go to B&Q to get some DIY stuff, & it wasn't until I was reading my shopping list I realised I'd put "Wallpaper Paiste".

. . . when you work on a sticking pattern in your head all day long, and can't wait to get on your kit to hash it out for three hours.

. . . when you work on a sticking pattern in your head all day long, and can't wait to get on your kit to hash it out for three hours.

+1

You wake up and the first thing you think about are some grooves...

Also, your incredibly patient and supportive partner eventually suggests a '24 hours no drum talk' as a change and you last about 2 hours...

I don't have automatic door locks in my van, and I have a DIY table built in between the seats, so I cant reach the passenger door from the drivers seat without contorting myself. I use a drumstick to wack the little rounded lock button when I need to lock the passenger door. It's a very tiny target because it's rounded hard plastic on top. It makes me smile when I get it on the first try. Getting better at that.

So funny! Yesterday at band rehearsal a spider was crawling up the wall. One tap of my drum stick and he was down! Stupid idea of course since now I had to clean my stick!

You get frustrated when the music you're listening to as you walk down the road is either too fast or too slow to practically walk to.

Sub divide! Too fast? Walk 16ths! Too slow, walk whole or half notes!

I like it when I nail a fly in mid flight with my stick. That's really hard grasshopper. I usually miss.

you chew your food in time to the music. ('my' guitarist said that once now I can't stop. I will never forgive him...)

When using the ATM or CDM, I count the machine clicks by 8 in a group like if I m listening to myself playing singles or doubles in 32nd notes, so I know if the number of cash notes are correct to what I need.

You know you're a drummer when you've been air-drumming since you took your first pair of sticks because you can't afford a real drum kit and you just can use someone's kit and not very often haha

when you break 3 television remote controls by smacking them on the arm of the chair you're sitting in because it's the perfect snare sound.

...you can tell one drumstick is heavier than the other ... when the difference is 1 gram...

This happened the other day... Feeling oddly proud.

You play the drums.
I have often wondered if drummers share common gene alleles that drive the desire. Playing kit in an orchestra and some jazz groups I note other musicians will start drumming with their hands when they aren't playing their own instrument-its like contagious. Maybe a virus-LOL.

Back