Danny Carey

Gish06, great post.

In defence of Danny's non-technical playing, it's worth checking out some of the things he's done which haven't required monster chops. Tool's covers of "No Quarter" and the Peach song "You Lied" are fairly straight-ahead monster rock playing, as was Danny's playing on Green Jello's "Three Little Pigs".

He's a great all-around rock drummer. I just think that in Tool he has to cover a lot of ground to make up for Adam Jones, who is a rather limited guitarist...

finnhiggins said:
Gish06, great post.

In defence of Danny's non-technical playing, it's worth checking out some of the things he's done which haven't required monster chops. Tool's covers of "No Quarter" and the Peach song "You Lied" are fairly straight-ahead monster rock playing, as was Danny's playing on Green Jello's "Three Little Pigs".
So Danny Carey was in Green Jelly?My friends always told me him and Maynard were both in that band but I never believed them.

russcat said:
So Danny Carey was in Green Jelly?My friends always told me him and Maynard were both in that band but I never believed them.

Yeah, that's Maynard doing the "Not by the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin!" line.

I believe Adam Jones was involved with costume design or something similar too.

He's got a cover and an interview in the latest rhythm. I had no idea he doesnt record to a click.

TopCat said:
He's got a cover and an interview in the latest rhythm. I had no idea he doesnt record to a click.
I think it would be really hard though to be able to play to a click to a tool song. All the time signature changes and all.

Drummerguydrew said:
Has anyone given tools new album 10,000 days a listen? Some more great drumming by master Carey. My favorite track so far is #5 "the pot". Love the drum part.

Great album from a drums point of view. Danny is always incredible to listen to, but it seems to me Tool are running out of ideas. 10,000 Days sounds way too similar to Lateralus, to the point were it almost sounds like a Lateralus B sides. Too much ambience compared to solid sound. Were they pushed to put it out too soon?
Don't get me wrong. I love the album and Tool are one of my top favourite bands, but I am disappointed by comparison to the last two studio releases. Maybe I had my hopes up too high...

I just recently started listening to Tool, and now i really like them.

It's cool how Danny can play pretty simple, non-fancy beats (like in Schism) that sound great. I also really like his use of toms.

I'm gonna listen to 10,000 days later on, i hope it lives up to my expectations...

New TOOL CD came out a few days ago..

Stayed out till 12:01AM to buy the new CD..
Now that my friends - is devotion.

I couldn't be happier with the CD or Danny Careys drumming..

I love his double bass patterns. :D

I think the new cd is really good...

except for a few songs that aren't really songs, more fill ups :s

My favorite songs are Right in two, and Vicarious.

And yeah, Danny's drumming once again is great...

for those wondering (or if you care) what 10,000 days stands for. well divide 10,000 by 365 (days in a year, duh) and you get 27. 27 years represents the time that his mother (Judith Marie) was paralyzed, until she died. she was paralyzed for 27 years. there are 2 very deep songs on there that are very, very good.

overall, i think as someone mentioned earlier, it does resemble that of a lateralus b side feel. i find the songs to be just "okay" not real earth shattering like that of lateralus. listen to "right in two" it does have some very great drum fills by DC. it seems almost that Danny didn't experiment too much on this cd like he did on lateralus. either way, he's better than all of us peons,lol. me anyway.

I'm sure some of you are aware that Danny drums for another band full time— the Pigmy Love Circus. This is some straight up in-your-face rock n' roll. Danny's drumming on their most recent album, "The Power of Beef" is very aggressive. In recent posts, Danny's potential as a rock drummer has been doubted. I suggest you all check out the Pigmys, and should any of you already know them, you know what I'm talking about. Go here: www.pigmylovecircus.com

As for 10,000 Days, I think it's another great album put out by Tool. Everyone's knocking it off because it's different. Everyone had way too much expectation for this album. Just listen through the whole thing and you'll realize it's another perfectly flowing album by these four musicians. It's beautifully crafted, and each band member experiments with new ideas: Adam with the voicebox, Maynard with his falsetto, Danny with his electronics, and Justin with his ever-complicated bass lines.

Precise and mind-boggling. I think that sums it up. Whoever doubts him is either deaf or jealous. And, BTW, for those who like to focus on sound, I have never heard a live kit sound as good as Danny Carey with Tool; at least not in the "Rock" genre.

wnnabdrummer said:
for those wondering (or if you care) what 10,000 days stands for. well divide 10,000 by 365 (days in a year, duh) and you get 27. 27 years represents the time that his mother (Judith Marie) was paralyzed, until she died. she was paralyzed for 27 years. there are 2 very deep songs on there that are very, very good.

That's really interesting. I am not too sure whether you are refering to Maynard or Danny however there is an A Perfect Circle song named Judith which I now assume would be about the above situation (among other things..). The song is off Mer De Nom and was the first single in Australia.

I think 10,000 Days is a brilliant album. At first listen I was not sure whether it could compete with Lateralus and Aenema but upon further listens it is apparent that 5 years of work did go into the album, and Ill be unravelling parts of it for the next 5 years. Jambi is a highlight for me - the polyrhythms on this album are very subtle imo - but are still very layered and definately Tool. I love it!

Does anyone know much about the electronics that he's using? It lists them in the Rhythm magazine article but I'm not too clear, since I know he used to use the Simmons (pads at least) gear, but I read on his website and various other places on the net that he was developing some new pads and gear. I read in the Rhythm article that he's using a Mac G5 for samples... what about the new pads? and brain? or is the G5 acting as a brain?

The guy's a total genius when it comes to his drumming, it really baffles me, but learning his songs has been a big step in both my own playing and my own writing, it's helped me no end. I play in a band playing what can only be described as "euro-metal" (think Arkangel/ early Caliban/ Heaven Shall Burn) but I really want this band to stand out so I'm trying to incorporate strange time sigs and rhythms and beats etc... I think it could work. I just want it to be something different and so far Danny Carey, besides Mike Portnoy (I'm not that big a fan of Dream Theater, the vocals put me off), has been the biggest influence on my playing. Fantastic!!

And, regarding 10,000 Days, I think it'll be a grower. It took me nearly 3 years to fully appreciate Lateralus, because I was still reeling from how good Aenima was when I got into that (admittedly, it wasn't until 1999 that I first got into Tool), now I fully appreciate Lateralus and I still pick it up and listen to Parabola or Ticks and Leeches or the title track, now I'll go through a similar process with 10,000 Days. There's obviously the really instant songs, like Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, but I think it'll take a while to get into, say, Wings (Parts 1 and 2 together) and Rosetta Stoned and properly love them. Probably won't really get them until the next Tool record comes out.

Last edited:
Back