White finish + black or gold hardware?

PeniScott

Silver Member
I'm getting my kit refinished quite soon (for free :D) a nice white stain with some of the grain showing through and a gloss lacquer finish. I'm tired of the glossy black wrap nonsense on my beginner-level kit right now so i'm getting it white because i have a thing for white.

I like white shells with gold hardware the most.

I like white shells with black hardware the most.

I like black or gold hardware the most and I CAN'T DECIDE.

I keep thinking about the gold hardware because for once i want a kit with things that catch my eye. I'm bored of black wrap and chrome hardware so the gold appeals to me for that slightly vulgar gold shine.

But then i always go back to the great match that the black and white have. There's something very special about how those two opposites look with each other and they do look very good.

So i can't decide and i'm looking for your opinions.

And please don't say anything along the lines of:
"It's all down to your personal preference, man. Peace and love." Because i don't mind either way. I like the black and gold.

Just gimme what you'd have.
I'm just very indecisive rather than my usual picky tendencies.
xoxo

My first thought on either is ...ewww hahaha!

But, with White, I'd go with Gold.

The Black on White would make the hardware look like plastic to me.

The only way I'd say black is if it was Black Nickle, because at least it wouldn't look like painted (powder coated) hardware. In that case it might look pretty cool with a White wash finish.

..On the other hand, I can see the finish being re-done on a beginner-intermediate kit if it's free, but why put money into hardware if it's that level of a kit?

I'd go with black, as you said gold tends to appear a little bit vulgar, especially up on stage.

Black and white is undeniable, although white with chrome is just as nice. Even better, get an off-white finish with the black.

On the other hand, I can see the finish being re-done on a beginner-intermediate kit if it's free, but why put money into hardware if it's that level of a kit?

Because i want a new finish without shelling out for a whole new kit. And i won't even have enough money for a new kit for a very, very long time. And besides, i'm not too fussed about shell quality tbh. If it resonates, it's all good because if i don't like the sound i'll change a head or two. Tweak the rods a little.

And also because i'm not as fond of white shells/chrome hardware as i am of white shells with gold or black hardware.

And in reply to jonescrusher's comment. This kit won't be going on stage or out the house. In the 3 and a half years i've had it, it's left the house once and the vulgarity of the gold is actually something that appeals. If i do get to the stage where my band is touring and i don't have another kit, then i'll want a kit that shows off as much as i do. Despite how pretentious that makes me seem, i like how the gold catches my eye. And after (not) much deliberation i think i might go for the gold/brass hardware.

Unless my mind changes, which it often does.

xoxo

i would go gold, only cuz for some reason black lugs surrounded by chrome stands always seemed weird and kinda contrast each other too much if you know what i mean. but gold hardware offsets all the chrome stands just enough to stand out yet still blend with each other and not get the gowdy look black gets. plus the gold kinda goes with the look of the cymbals. only way i'd do black chrome is if all the stands, rack, and mounts were also black chromed, that would be cool. and no way ever would i do powder coating.

Because i want a new finish without shelling out for a whole new kit. And i won't even have enough money for a new kit for a very, very long time. And besides, i'm not too fussed about shell quality tbh. If it resonates, it's all good because if i don't like the sound i'll change a head or two. Tweak the rods a little.

And also because i'm not as fond of white shells/chrome hardware as i am of white shells with gold or black hardware.

And in reply to jonescrusher's comment. This kit won't be going on stage or out the house. In the 3 and a half years i've had it, it's left the house once and the vulgarity of the gold is actually something that appeals. If i do get to the stage where my band is touring and i don't have another kit, then i'll want a kit that shows off as much as i do. Despite how pretentious that makes me seem, i like how the gold catches my eye. And after (not) much deliberation i think i might go for the gold/brass hardware.

Unless my mind changes, which it often does.

xoxo

Those sound like good reasons to me!

My personal choice would be gold. It would sort of look like a white Gibson guitar with gold hardware, which have a great classic look.

I personally don't like black hardware on drums. It tends to look a bit flat for my tastes, but I like a bit of a wild look to begin with so plain stuff doesnt really appeal.

Yeah i'd love a kit with ebony stained shells and gold hardware, but alas, i prefer the white just that tiny bit more.

If i ever somehow get a lot of money, i'm just going to buy a bunch of beginner kits and redo them to increase the resale value. Maybe keep one or two and put a ludwig badge on there to make me feel better about myself ;)

Back