Drum Tattoos?

Having a tattoo doesn't make you any more or less interesting. It just means you have a tattoo, that is all.

Also, to people who say, "If you don't like tattoos, don't get one," I say, "If you don't want people to comment on your tattoo, don't display one." People wear get them for the look-at-me factor but not all attention is positive.

whilst I don't have any tattoo's at the moment... and the way my money goes on drums maybe i never will have any...
I think that I agree that those that get a tattoo for the "look at me" factor shouldn't get one, but as a personalised statement of Faith or what you love doing, such as your love for music, why not...
although I would have to say that in the Corporate world, and if your wanting to make money as a Musician, as opposed to a pop star, then make sure that you can cover tattoos when they may not be appropriate, say in a meeting with some high flying Billionare, or someone who'll be giving you a high profile gig... since it may be a deciding factor, if you know what I mean...

Eek! It's the teeth! The strokes used to define them were too way heavy. Kinda like bashing ghost notes ...

But the wont turn into ghosts unless you bash them hard enough.

All this crotchety anti-tattoo sentiment has motivated me to post my ink. This is my right leg, It's the middle of the winter here so I'm a bit pale. It's a mish-mash of 3 engravings by Guadalupe Posada plus my favorite guitar.

On the side of that aforementioned sentiment though, note the green "J" below the larger tattoo. That was a slightly inebriated choice to get my old band's logo inked on my leg before a gig. I'm not in that group anymore and I hate that green. Eventually It'll get covered.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 27,251
Having a tattoo doesn't make you any more or less interesting. It just means you have a tattoo, that is all.

Also, to people who say, "If you don't like tattoos, don't get one," I say, "If you don't want people to comment on your tattoo, don't display one." People wear get them for the look-at-me factor but not all attention is positive.

I agree that most people do seem to get them for the shock factor. I fall into that maybe 20% of people that have tattoos but don't always display them openly.

I actually have 5 tattoos; they are easily covered up with a shirt. They are on my shoulders, chest, and back (between my shoulder blades...NOT a tramp stamp). The largest one (back) is maybe the size of my hand.

I went through a period where they were addicting, but I would always sit on a certain design for several months before deciding to get it.

I've seen people just spontaneously walk into a tattoo parlor and randomly pick out a design. Now that's just nuts...

Okay, here goes:

I am a healthcare executive. I have been playing drums since 1973. My inspiration is simply, to me anyway, the coolest drum beat in Rock & Roll history! It is the Reprise of Sgt Peppers. I got it December 30th and JUST had the last red ink added about 10 days ago. Here is the beat link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3iaxD8QqLw

I dig it and I hope you do too. Please listen to the ENTIRE Sgt Peppers album to understand the flow of the songs from the beginning to "A day in the life", the end.

Attachments

• KBadds 1Sgt Peppers Reprise Left Shot 1 crop.JPG
    KBadds 1Sgt Peppers Reprise Left Shot 1 crop.JPG
    711.8 KB · Views: 28,746
  • KBadds 2Sgt Peppers Reprise Left Shot 2 crop.JPG
    KBadds 2Sgt Peppers Reprise Left Shot 2 crop.JPG
    750.1 KB · Views: 61,308
  • KBadds 3Sgt Peppers Reprise Right Shot crop.JPG
    KBadds 3Sgt Peppers Reprise Right Shot crop.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 85,011
  • KBadds 4Sgt Peppers Reprise Long Shot crop.JPG
    KBadds 4Sgt Peppers Reprise Long Shot crop.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 38,583
Well. I'm 15, and I've wanted this tattoo for the past 3 years.
I would like a full-size drum stick on the outside of my right leg (calf area to be exact). The stick will have chips and splinters, and will have tape on the bottom to represent years of playing and practice.
What do you guys think of tis idea? Good one?

Well if your a chrisitan get two drum sticks in the shape of a cross. If you don't want that, or the parradiddle on the knuckles (Bad Ass idea), get some drum sticks and right below it put the letters W.M.D.s (Weapons of Mass Destruction)

I have a t-shirt that has exactly that. I will never understand the massive infatuation for tattoos. Seems like I can't watch any sporting event or concert without seeing athletes/musicians with over-the-top tattoos all over their bodies, including neck and heads.

When tattoos first started becoming popular, they used to be small and tasteful. Now they are as outrageous and visible as possible.

What miffs me is that I know a lot of people that can't pay their electric bill or mortgage, but are constantly getting new tattoos and smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes.

/rant off :)

I agree 100%.- tattoos can be a conversation starter, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person is more interesting, or for that matter, a better conversationalist.

I see very few people with visible tattoos in my engineering office. Same goes for piercings.

I agree 100%.- tattoos can be a conversation starter, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person is more interesting, or for that matter, a better conversationalist.

I see very few people with visible tattoos in my engineering office. Same goes for piercings.

same goes for my office as well. no thanks.

I have 3 tattoos and work as a paralegal. However, they can all easily be covered if going into a meeting or court. I don't think they necessarily make someone more interesting just by virtue of having them and if someone is getting one for the soul purpose of attention seeking then that's wrong. Each of mine has a personal meaning and I got them for me. Sure, I love it when someone comments on one but even if they didn't I love them for my own reasons. I was over 40 before I got my first one and each one has been thought about long and hard before permanently marking my body.

To each their own, I say.

Here's a pic of my first tattoo and the one that is musically relevant although not specifically drumming. It's on my left outer calf. I call it The Magic Power of Music and it relates to the Triumph song which has always been special for me. Combined with my general love of music and, voila, there you go.

Bottom line, if you get one, get what's important to YOU, not what someone else says is cool or that they like. I can't tell you how many people who see mine who have never heard of Triumph or that song. I don't care, I know what it means and that's all that matters. Just think about it and consider all possibilities, especially on placement, before jumping in.

Okay, lecture over.

Attachments

• 37706_1427692825864_1639130459_1024614_1786808_n[1].jpg
    37706_1427692825864_1639130459_1024614_1786808_n[1].jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21,276
I just got this super sweet tat. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Jimi marley.jpg
    Jimi marley.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 26,969
I think that's a very accurate statement. A bad tattooist can ruin a very good design/idea, check this out.

Also make sure to run a spell/grammar check...

your-alive-your-alive-fail-tattoo-thewiceman-demotivational-poster-1261837891.jpg

Who needs correct grammar/spelling... Might take away the "attitude". Also... the dude having the tattoo might actually not be up to deciding whether the grammar is right. Let's imagine he's not up to - then the tattoo would represent him in various respects and actually do him justice. You get what you deserve...

What miffs me is that I know a lot of people that can't pay their electric bill or mortgage, but are constantly getting new tattoos and smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes.

/rant off :)

Ain't that the truth. Especially neck tattoos. As a general rule, I've observed that the more tattoos someone has, and the more visible they are, they less disposable income they have to invest in tattoos, but they do it anyway.

Back