Surgery bound

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
(UPDATE) Had my pre op dr appointment yesterday and here is the skinny on the surgery....
They will be making a few incisions and seperating my shoulder to get 2 sutures around the tear in my rotator cuff...... Before they stitch that, they will be cutting away and removing a part of the collar bone wich is compressing the injured area.
After surgery, I will be out of work at least 7-10 days and pretty much armchair bound for a few weeks (At least for sleeping) and for 2 days I'll have a tube in my shoulder joint administering antibiotics and pain meds. Michelle will be removing this when it runs out....... I love you baby.... I mean REALLY Love you............ don't hurt me ;)
After 10 days or so, I have 6 to 8 weeks of therapy and recovery to look forward too, and during this time my left shoulder will be monitored and evaluated and if there is no improvement then I get to go through is all again on the other side. Yayy.....
As a side note I relenquished my throne to the substitute drummer in my classic rock band "Full Count" as I'll be a few months before playing again and he is shouldering the load with the guys.

Will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Be good, Pete. It passes faster than you think !

Learn to read music while you heal ( if you dont already ).

Good luck my friend. Everything will work out just fine.

Be good, Pete. It passes faster than you think !

Learn to read music while you heal ( if you dont already ).

Thanks guys, you guys always encourage me. And Aydee I read a little but suck at sight reading, that's an excellent idea. I think I shall improve upon that in my down time.

Thanks guys, you guys always encourage me. And Aydee I read a little but suck at sight reading, that's an excellent idea. I think I shall improve upon that in my down time.

When you're partly immobilized in a hospital bed there's really nothing more to do. Unless there's cute nurses, but I recall that you have a wife (who buys you awesome drum gear, you lucky bastard!) so that probably narrows it down to reading. And maybe watching some TV.

When you're partly immobilized in a hospital bed there's really nothing more to do. Unless there's cute nurses, but I recall that you have a wife (who buys you awesome drum gear, you lucky bastard!) so that probably narrows it down to reading. And maybe watching some TV.

Yes, too true. I have a wife that buys me drums..... and she's hot...and I love her, so I'll behave with the nurses.lol.

Maybe you could watch some DVDs of the great players and get some inspiration and learn some licks while you recover. That way, you'd have a bunch of stuff to work on when you heal and get back behind the kit. Well, that's what I'd do...

Good luck with your surgery!

Best of luck during your re-coop period, and we will forgive you for the terrible pun.

"and he is shouldering the load with the guys."

Here's an interesting idea for some "practice" you can do while lying in bed.

Check out the Indian vocalization system. Steve Smith is big into (check out his new DVD, Standing On The Shoulders, for a little dip in the water). I believe it's called konakkol?

Here's a thread about it.

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=14945

And a drum teacher i had raved about a book on it, specifically for drummers? Don't know what it was called, or who it was buy.

Not even sure if you're interested, but good luck with the surgery, I hope it all goes well.

Sorry to hear you have to go into sugery. Is there no way you can play with your remaining three limbs though? This is an oppertunity to improve your double bass blasting ;-).
Hmm, maybe you should keep it to sightreading. You'll gain way more from that.

The only problem is that all the gear your wife buys you will pile up, and you will have the dilemma of not knowing what to try first when you are recovered... That must be very hard for you.

I hope your surgery goes well and I will be praying for you.

Thanks man, I appreciate it............. Grunters, I didn't even catch that when I worded it..ROFLOL, Good eye.

And sight reading mixed with some dvd's, etc will be the order of the day. My other shoulder is also messed up, thus I have only my legs for a couple months.

Had that surgery on right side... ouch! Left rotor cuf still ripped, but I'll get by. Hey a couple of good books to wile away the time... 'No One Gets Out Alive', (about Jim Morrisons quest of the 'good times', also Mick Fleetwood wrote a book about the early day of Fleetwood Mac, highly entertaining. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Last edited:
Had my pre op dr appointment yesterday and here is the skinny on the surgery....
They will be making a few incisions and seperating my shoulder to get 2 sutures around the tear in my rotator cuff...... Before they stitch that, they will be cutting away and removing a part of the collar bone wich is compressing the injured area.

After surgery, I will be out of work at least 7-10 days and pretty much armchair bound for a few weeks (At least for sleeping) and for 2 days I'll have a tube in my shoulder joint administering antibiotics and pain meds. Michelle will be removing this when it runs out....... I love you baby.... I mean REALLY Love you............ don't hurt me ;)

After 10 days or so, I have 6 to 8 weeks of therapy and recovery to look forward too, and during this time my left shoulder will be monitored and evaluated and if there is no improvement then I get to go through is all again on the other side. Yayy.....

update

Had surgery monday. am missing my drums, independance and mobility. had a catheter in my shoulder pumping in novacaine, etc for 2 days. that ran out yesterday and michelle had to remove it and change my bandage. Shoulder is a bit more sore now. but the vicoden helps.

pulled the ribs on my right side as well, so standing and sitting are excruciating. very hard to get comfortable. but will keep u posted.

Back