My favorite sticks

my fav has always been vf 5b or vf 5b extreme but qc seems to be lacking at the mo or i have bought a bad batch as i have chipped the tips off 5 sticks in the last few weeks.

decided to give something else a go...went to the local drum shop and bought...

vf gregg bissonette sig series
vf danny carey
vf tomas haake

not sure which i liked best so will give em all a try!

hopefully the extra bit of beef to these sticks will see them hold up better!

I used Brooks Wackerman artist series sticks forever when they came out. Then I switched to Vater Power 5B nude sticks. Late last year Brooks redesigned his signature sticks, and just a few weeks ago they became available to the public, so I ordered a few pairs and switched again. I now use both the old and new models of his signatures.

Regal Tip Quantum 3000 wood tips!!!
They're a pain getting hold of where I live, I have to get them ordered in. But it's worth it. They feel great and last forever. Just bought 12 pairs. Dented the bank account but at least I'm good for sticks for a long time!

For the time being, I am using - Pro Mark Simon Phillips 707.
Hickory. Diameter: .551", Length: 16 1/4", Wooden round tip for great cymbal articulation.

Attachments

• The 24inch Paiste Giant Beat.jpg
    The 24inch Paiste Giant Beat.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 648
Found my dream stick today guys, I was playing Vater Power 5A's, but thats too much forward weight for me. Vater Fatback 3A's, ohhhhh are they amazing. Anybody looking for a god beefy stick, with a ball tip, you must try these!

2002 - 08' I was using Vic Firth 5B nylon tip
08' - 10' Ziljian Brooks Wackerman artist series
10' - 11' Vater Power 5B nudes nylon tips

CURRENTLY I'm using the 2012 redesigned Brooks Wackerman artist series by Zildjian. (they're the same as the original design, only they're a bit lighter, and have a natural finish. I switch back and fourth between the old version, and the 2012 models.

Have switched from the VF Thomas Lang signatures some months ago to the ProMark SD330 Todd Sucherman signatures. I just tried the Todd Sucherman sigs for fun (blind order) and like them a lot, they are light but not too light, have a great rebound feel and made the Thomas Lang sigs feel quite heavy and "slo-mo" in comparison. The Thomas Lang signatures now serve as heavy practice sticks which I'm using only occasionally.

I'm also often using the Vater Derek Roddy signatures. Those are a bit too "slow" for finesse rudiment stuff but feel great and have decent power for "straighter" playing.

So far (and I'm not sure many people have heard about these), the best sticks I've ever layed my hands on we're "Xcel Drumsticks". Check them out, I definitely recommend them. Not sure what the link is, but just google it... My friends band who've recently got pretty famous in the UK showed me them as he just got endorsed - I was absolutely blown away.
As soon as I have the money, I'm definitely getting some.

*EDIT:
I'm not actually sure what size they were. I'm gonna have to get in touch with him. They felt inbetween 7a and 2b... Well, they might have been 7a - but I know they felt perfect. I'm not too good with sizes, as all I've ever owned are 2b's and 5a's.

Last edited:
I like a stick that is in between a 5A and a 5B, so that means my favorites are the Vater H220 and the Vic Firth A55. Due to availabilty I most often use the Vater 5A. Peace and goodwill.

I agree! A stick like that is multi-functional and multi-purpose. That is the reason I play the drums with Pro Mark Simon Phillips 707.

Saludos...

I like a stick that is in between a 5A and a 5B, .

I have a few favorites.

Pro Mark 7A (Been using these a lot lately)
Vic Firth Steve Gadd 5A (they look so cool!)
Vic Firth 85A (my only pair broke, and they don't carry them at my local Guitar Center)
Pro Mark Neil Peart Signature (I don't know what size they are, I've never looked before)

Vic Firth 5A and 7A (used to use 5B's but realized it was pointless). 5A's are much more versatile and the 7A's only get used in extremely soft situations. the 5A's also seem more durable than the 5B's which i used to break every week or so. Now only every few months and thats just the tip getting worn to nothing. the 5B's used to split right down the middle. no doubt switching sticks isnt the whole story (technique improving probably has more to do with it.) Corpsmasters for marching. any pair really. The staccato timpani mallets whose model i cant recall at the moment also vic firth.

I own these ATM - Stagg 5A Nylon Tip Hickory:

6f9n3S9.jpg

Going to get these - Promark TX515W Joey Jordison Drumsticks:

5e7i0b2.jpg

I've always loved the way the longer vic firth 5A's feel in my hands, but they never last with me for some reason. I've come to appreciate the Vater sticks though.

I'm 6'8" I play Vater Shedder, Pro-mark 2b Naturals, or My all time Favorite is Vic Firth 3a fatback if you can find them!!

Heaven in your hands

I started out using 727s long ago, then switched to Vic Firth Dave Weckls, then switched to ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5As. I'm now using Hornet 7As that I originally got just for my e-kit. I started using the Hornets on my a-kit, and as of right now they are my favorites.

Back