Learning to use a double pedal

ncc

Silver Member
Hello. I'm looking for some advice on playing with a double pedal.

I've used a single Axis since the 90s and am fairly solid and fast. There is a lot of stuff these days, though, that dictates a double pedal could be worthwhile in certain situations. So I took the plunge and bought the Axis 'add on' for the second pedal (which works great btw). However, I realized I have no idea on how to best learn to use/play it. So I'm looking for some advice from others who also spent a large part of their playing days with a single pedal and then went to a double. In general, where you able to do this transition easily or have you gone back to just a single? If you stuck with the double, any advice on 'learning to use a double pedal' would be appreciated.

Hello. I'm looking for some advice on playing with a double pedal.

I've used a single Axis since the 90s and am fairly solid and fast. There is a lot of stuff these days, though, that dictates a double pedal could be worthwhile in certain situations. So I took the plunge and bought the Axis 'add on' for the second pedal (which works great btw). However, I realized I have no idea on how to best learn to use/play it. So I'm looking for some advice from others who also spent a large part of their playing days with a single pedal and then went to a double. In general, where you able to do this transition easily or have you gone back to just a single? If you stuck with the double, any advice on 'learning to use a double pedal' would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had a DW 5002 laying around, unused for a while, because frankly, I had no use for it. I've recently started working on a project that will require some double bass, so I've dusted it off and put it back together. I play a lot of heel toe with a single pedal, so I figured I would incorporate that into my double playing as well. What I've been doing is just practicing basic rudiments between my feet (double strokes, paradiddles, etc.). I've found that it has helped tremendously in just the short time that I've been working on my double bass.

I work on pedal exercises on both feet equally. I will set up the metronome for ~ 100 bpm then do quarters, 8ths, 16ths, triplets, etc with both feet. Then I will pick a song or a beat then work on that at slower tempos until I can play it at the right tempo. Those are some things that work for me.

.... I'm looking for some advice from others who also spent a large part of their playing days with a single pedal and then went to a double. In general, where you able to do this transition easily or have you gone back to just a single? If you stuck with the double, any advice on 'learning to use a double pedal' would be appreciated.

After many years with a single pedal, I got a double when I 're-entered' playing drums, and after joining this forum.
I've been using it for about one and a half years.

Easy? No, the transition was extremely difficult for me. I can't remember the last time I've felt so clumsy.
It's usually that way when trying something new, but this seemed particularly hard.

No, I haven't given up on it.
I'm not in a band and don't play gigs, so I don't have that kind of 'have-to' pressure on me.
It's simply something that I decided to do.
I still have a single pedal on my kits, and use an electronic kick pad with the double pedal.

I'm an older guy, progress has been slow, but there's definitely been progress.
It might have come quicker when I was younger.
I'm faster now with my left foot than I was before with my right (dominant) foot.
I'm more than satisfied with where my right foot is at now.

What I did to learn was researched a lot. There's lots of good threads on this, and other forums.
There are a lot of good videos on Youtube that helped a lot too.

Something to watch out for is all the different terminology used.
You'll see lots of people doing the same (or similar) things, and calling it by different names.
Or doing different things and calling it the same name.
Heel/toe is particularly troublesome.
Everyone says they're doing heel/toe, even when they're clearly doing different things.
I came up with my own version of heel/toe, but I haven't seen anyone else do it that way.
There's enough stuff to try that it can seem overwhelming.

It's time consuming and requires some commitment and dedication.
Unless you're extremely lucky or talented, it's going to take a lot of work to start to get good.
Know what you're getting into.
If you decide to do it - good luck, and have fun.

Last edited:
images

Thanks everyone. I did not even think about books and dvds. Amazon time. ;-)

Back