Getting back in after a 14 year break, any tips

filterbiz

I have been a lurker for a long time! i post the drums in yamaha section too but I post here because I want advice!

i played drums from 5 years old until about 18.
Im now 32 and have decided to take up drumming again and try to pick up where I left off.
I always played pearl back in the day but could afford only export kits.
i had fun with them but they always just sounded so plain!

so after lurking and researching & researching some more i decided on a YAMAHA tour custom kit. I searched high and low for a kit in decent shape but not too expensive.
i am glad i waited because this poped up at guitar center pre-owned in insane good condition for 399.00
I bought them and they should be here next monday.
What do you think?

Does anyone have any tips so I dont fall into any bad habits right away?
What does everyone use for practice music, should i mic up and record, and play with songs?

Thanks for any suggestions!

chris

Attachments

• yamaha tour custom.jpg
    yamaha tour custom.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 325
What does everyone use for practice music, should i mic up and record, and play with songs?

Hi Chris

Practice with a metronome or a click track, If you can, also find a drum teacher to put you back in track and refresh your skills.

Yes you can record yourself to eveluate your progress, it will also highlight your weakness and strong points, playing with songs/CD's is also very good.

Take a bit of patience and dedication, you'll be a bit rusty, but it will come back reasonably quickly.

Good luck. :)

Now this is probably an example of how the cluelessness of many Guitar Center employees can be to your advantage (kidding...sort of...). GC must have missed a "1" from the price tag. $399? Sure it wasn't $1,399 and someone made a mistake?

Anyway, super nice score for you. Congrats.

Chris I'm starting back after a looong layoff. I started with the practice pad and metronome for about a month. Took about a month more to feel like my old self on the kit but I'm not all the way there.

I start lessons, for the first time in my life, Saturday.

2 words: wrist support!
2 more words: hearing protection!!

I'm in the same spot like you (33 and picked drums back after more than 15 years), we're no longer 18, take care of yourself so you can do that for years to come.

As for recording, I use zoom q3 it's video & audio and really helps you get a reality check of your technic and tempo keeping.

Most important, enjoy :)

I always played with headphones to my favorite songs, but recently I started playing music through an incredibly loud PA system, to kind of help simulate what you hear when you play live, in a non- monitored situation.

Just be sure to use hearing protection!

Glad your back to drumming!

After a long break, I would recommend, playing along with some of your fav. CD''s. And since you're already a drummer, it may be like riding a bike. it'll all come back to you. the main thing is to have fun, and get comfortable playing and getting around the kit, since you need to wake up your limbs and mind again. Also hearing protection!!!! Very important now.... have fun!!!

After a long break, I would recommend, playing along with some of your fav. CD''s. And since you're already a drummer, it may be like riding a bike. it'll all come back to you. the main thing is to have fun, and get comfortable playing and getting around the kit, since you need to wake up your limbs and mind again. Also hearing protection!!!! Very important now.... have fun!!!

I always played with headphones to my favorite songs, but recently I started playing music through an incredibly loud PA system, to kind of help simulate what you hear when you play live, in a non- monitored situation.

Just be sure to use hearing protection!

I've got you guys beat with a 25 year break from the action! About the only skill I kept during that break was tapping my feet to good music. I wasn't as dedicated as you when I first started - mainly garage bands in Elementary and Junior HS. The guys at Guitar Center were gentle with me when I asked where the Ludwig kits were!

Anyways, you scored on a nice kit. You'll probably be able to hop on that bike much quicker than me. It literally took me a few months to get my rhythm and coordination back. I like what drummerman42 and tfield94 suggested about playing along with your fav songs. Do that for a little bit to get your coordination and rhythm back.

Then get a GOOD teacher to check your fundamentals. Most important - HAVE FUN!!

Congratulations Chris!! - I did the same thing years ago.

I'm now another 12 years or so down the road, in a blues act that plays regionally 3-4 nights a week on average... practice at home fairly regularly... Spent a good deal of time recording with this act and various other people in town - basically never looked back.

My suggestion would be - find a good teacher (even if just for a few months) to help break through the rust... it really speeds up the process. Record yourself if you have the ability, work with a metronome... and finally find some other guys to play with as soon as you feel comfortable --- either friends or search out an open-mic or jam somewhere in your area (Craigslist, local music papers are great places to look).

First and foremost - have fun making up for all the time away from the drums... There's nothing like it, right??

Peace,
Mike Noll
Nate Myers & The Aces
www.natemyers.com

I have been a lurker for a long time! i post the drums in yamaha section too but I post here because I want advice!

i played drums from 5 years old until about 18.
Im now 32 and have decided to take up drumming again and try to pick up where I left off.
I always played pearl back in the day but could afford only export kits.
i had fun with them but they always just sounded so plain!

so after lurking and researching & researching some more i decided on a YAMAHA tour custom kit. I searched high and low for a kit in decent shape but not too expensive.
i am glad i waited because this poped up at guitar center pre-owned in insane good condition for 399.00
I bought them and they should be here next monday.
What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions!

chris

Thanks everyone, i got confirmation the kit will be here tuesday.
i have picked up a vater rubber practice pad and some sticks. I did play snare in high school marching band so i sort of remember the rudiments and suprisingly i can still paradiddle pretty fast.
double rolls are back
funny though i am struggling with the single roll.
paradiddle-diddles are sloooooooooow.
and i can feel my arms fatiguing fast.

thanks for all the coments keep em coming.

Chris

OK, I'll chime in with my $.02.

One thing I always tell players on any instrument is to get as much time on stage as possible. Don't wait for the perfect band/situation. Get on stage every chance you get.
Yes, practice is extremely important, but there are things you learn on stage (where you have to get through the song no matter what) that you can't learn in the woodshed.

Welcome back.
I'm trying to make a comeback after 12 years off, myself.
One of the best things I ever did was to take a year off. (for reasons too extensive to go into here)
One of the worse things I ever did was follow that one with 11 more. :)

wd

OK, I'll chime in with my $.02.

One thing I always tell players on any instrument is to get as much time on stage as possible. Don't wait for the perfect band/situation. Get on stage every chance you get.
Yes, practice is extremely important, but there are things you learn on stage (where you have to get through the song no matter what) that you can't learn in the woodshed.

Welcome back.
I'm trying to make a comeback after 12 years off, myself.
One of the best things I ever did was to take a year off. (for reasons too extensive to go into here)
One of the worse things I ever did was follow that one with 11 more. :)

wd
Some good advice here already, especially this post above. Getting in with other players as soon as possible gives your entire skillset a workout. Rather like swimming vs. weight lifting.

I took over 20 years off. Getting the basics back is quick enough, but getting back to your previous technical standard is a years not a months thing. That said, you're young. I'm 51, so there's an age related deficit factor too. Don't be discouraged though, because you'll likely end up a better musician this time around. You stopped playing, but your ears didn't stop listening. You'll find yourself making different musical choices this time, so your interpretation skills will be much improved. So, woodshed for sure (man, I really need to do that), but get out there and make music as soon as possible.

Nice kit Chris...I stopped playing for 40 years.Back in the 60s we learned songs off a A.M radio.Found a great teacher, taking my 4th lesson this month ...a good move for me .I had a decent set of ludwigs. Dont remember the model. The cymbals were awful.Ajax I believe......I am looking for a used set of classics.maples..A lot of good info on here for people like us.

I played professionally til I was 28 and then hung it up for 8 years after being burnt out from playing all the time. I suggest just playing to songs to keep time and work on some rudiments to get your hands back up to speed. It sucks at first because you'll remember I use to be able to do this but if you keep at it things will fall into place.

I am just restarting after a 17 year hiatus, started when I was 13, I was taught a rock beat & a swing beat and was given a book and told "learn this". I was basically on my own after that, a 13 yr old with no patience, I tried to learn rudiments but it was easier just to put on an album and jam along. No money for lessons.
Now I am working on just learning a basic paradiddle & a few variations which I never learned, some foot speed (single pedal of course) & some linear beats. I swear I have the worst left hand ever but I am working on it. I will never be a rock star but am committed to being twice the drummer I was before.
I played out when I was 16 until 24 with a Country band & then a decent Rythym & Blues band, we were mediocre but we still got paid back in the day.
At 47 I am looking to play and play to the best of my ability but now learning to improve my groove so to speak. I feel all of what you all are feeling after a long hiatus.
I did make a promise to myself and that is I will not just jam to music and am patiently working on some rudiments etc. I have been able to jam with the local band for a few songs over the last couple months which has only improved my desire to improve.
Sorry for the long response...needed to get it off my chest I suppose. Thanks for listening :)

i just picked up my old yamaha free floating snare I played in high school.
And man my left hand has slowed down (as if i am handicaped), its going to be a while until I sound good on a snare again.
pretty cool that i got the snare back though, its beat to shiiz but i plan on restoring it. It sounds incredible and bringing back some serious memories.

thanks for all the coments

Attachments

• marching snare.JPG
    marching snare.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 171
It's just like riding a bike.

You can ride a bike.......right?

Spend a few hours getting the feel of things then find some music to play along with. You will soon remember how easy it is (if you chhose the right music) :)

I got back in the groove in about 3 months.

Back