Music stand for drummers?

I'm really tired of spreading my sheet music across my stand to my left and my floor tom to my right. And I'm really really tired of the stiff neck looking left at my stand causes.

There isn't enough room behind (on the kick batter side) of my kit to place the stand there, plus my nearsightedness requires me to keep any stand close to my face (I can wear glasses to make this better but not much).

I've seen some drummer-oriented music stands, but I don't know how well they work. Like the one that clamps onto the hi-hat rod ... doesn't that weigh it down too much?

Has anybody used a drummer music stand that they liked?

I use a "HyperPad-Mini-iPad-Stand" support for my iPad and it does well for sheet music that I've had time to scan. I wish the goose neck were slightly longer.

I still have a tripod stand for stuff that I receive on paper, and I've yet to get used to the stylus-versus-pencil for quick annotation.

If you have a tablet of some type, give consideration to converting.

I use a standard Manhasset stand off to my left. I tried positioning a stand directly in front of me but everything was too small to see.

I agree that a stand off to the side is not ideal but it could be worse. These days I have to wear reading glasses to see the notes. Unfortunately that means that I can't see much beyond the kit itself.

I'm really tired of spreading my sheet music across my stand to my left and my floor tom to my right. And I'm really really tired of the stiff neck looking left at my stand causes.

There isn't enough room behind (on the kick batter side) of my kit to place the stand there, plus my nearsightedness requires me to keep any stand close to my face (I can wear glasses to make this better but not much).

I've seen some drummer-oriented music stands, but I don't know how well they work. Like the one that clamps onto the hi-hat rod ... doesn't that weigh it down too much?

Has anybody used a drummer music stand that they liked?

Yeah music stands are a hassle. I read on a lot of gigs and wish I could have a different solution if not just so I can put something to the left of the hihat to play without having to shuffle stuff around.

There's this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Manhasset-Manhasset-Drummer-Music-Stand-H92127-i2858178.gc

However I'm thinking about making my own. I have a Manhasset stand and eventually what happens is they start to slip. I have a plumbing hose clamp on it so it won't move (poor man's memory lock). I'm going to hacksaw off the inner tube, throw the base away and use a regular multi-clamp to achieve the same results. Eventually.

You could do the same. We just have to be careful to get a clamp which clears the hihat cymbals.

My .02

Jim

I use a heavy duty stand (I think it's made by "On-Stage") and place it so it's hanging over my hats:

Attachments

• IMG_1217-001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1217-001 - Copy.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 2014-04-20 003.JPG
    2014-04-20 003.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 341
Back