DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 AM

Default Beginner Metal Songs?

Hello everyone!

I've been drumming for a little bit now, but I've realized that I've just been practicing the same easy stuff over and over again, and I haven't really gone anywhere. I mainly listen to prog metal (stuff like Periphery) and Metalcore (stuff like Northlane), but each both bands have great drummers, and I'd be pretty lost if I tried to start playing any of their songs.

Can you guys recommend any beginner metal songs that will get me started on the genre and build my repertoire? I'm also pretty new to metal, so maybe some classics that would bring me up to speed would also be nice.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Beginner Metal Songs?

Choose whatever songs you like the most. That will give you motivation, hopefully :)

Playing them badly is the beginning to playing them well.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

If your learning metalcore start working on that double bass, keep it clean, work on broken patterns with your feet at slower tempos and speed it up, 1/8 notes, triplets, 16th notes etc.

If you want to learn Periphery, you better get your rudiments down and work on ghost notes as well. keep learning the double kick too.

Natural progression, listen to the music you like, take lessons, keep getting better at drums. In time what you hear will make sense.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Suicide Silence? I love metal, but I'm trying to think of what's less 'impossible'. Maybe Crowbar? Carcass, Pantera, Morbid Angel, unsure what is going to be beginner friendly. But also, try anything. I used to have Tool in my practice regimen. Doesn't mean I could play it.

Definitely look into Carcass. Dan Wilding is a great drummer, but he's not the flashiest-giant-kit-superstar style guy. I love his playing and writing with Carcass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Qkcnd3rew
Old 04-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microkit View Post
Suicide Silence? I love metal, but I'm trying to think of what's less 'impossible'. Maybe Crowbar? Carcass, Pantera, Morbid Angel, unsure what is going to be beginner friendly. But also, try anything. I used to have Tool in my practice regimen. Doesn't mean I could play it.

Definitely look into Carcass. Dan Wilding is a great drummer, but he's not the flashiest-giant-kit-superstar style guy. I love his playing and writing with Carcass.

Loving that suggestion!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

So I would say that Northlane is a great place because to start. Nothing technical, not much in the way of intricate double bass patterns, pretty straight forward drum parts. Most of the new metalcore bands are just background for the pretty pop singer, so none of it is all that technical. My recommendation is to pick out the patterns you want to learn and start slow. Work on the indepedence required to play it then slowly speed it up once you get the feel. I still do this and I have been playing in matal bands for over 20 years. The key to fast doubles is accuracy. Work with a metronome and perfect the pattern at slower tempos before speeding up. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Have you heard the new Judas Priest album, Firepower? It's really badass! I like the song Rising From the Ruins. Seems like an easy song to play, with a little practice.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Chose the music you like that has a straight or constant beat, no time changes, etc., and play to the song, not the other drummer. So keep the beat and don’t worry about fills until you feel comfortable with the kit and you improve. I would only learn/ copy the other drummer after you’re able to keep the beat to the song.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been drumming for a little bit now, but I've realized that I've just been practicing the same easy stuff over and over again, and I haven't really gone anywhere. I mainly listen to prog metal (stuff like Periphery) and Metalcore (stuff like Northlane), but each both bands have great dbt you could go drummers, and I'd be pretty lost if I tried to start playing any of their songs...!
I wonder what exactly "little bit" means, but to me it seems you are a beginner player playing by ear (you might not...of course, excuse me if I´m wrong, please). So if you don´t get serious studying I doubt you could play what you are intending in the future (even distant future).

Just playing songs don´t bring you there...
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microkit View Post

I can't seem to get into death metal but that song looks fun to play! Still not beginner friendly though, it would probably take me months of hard work every day to learn that lol.

That's cool how the recorded mix puts the cymbals on the side of the audience (drummers right, audience left), it was weird hearing the right hand in the left ear and vice versa.

What is that cymbal with the holes on the far right side? And the one Dan has in the same place that kinda looks like an upside-down hat?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Playing songs you actually can do and understand, like older metal stuff might be a good idea. Combine that with working on the fundamentals that eventually will make you able to do the stuff you're into. ¨

Even if you can't do the stuff you can simplify and also use it as an inspiring metronome.

There's no reason to wait working and pushing yourself on the double bass if that inspires you just don't forget other fundamentals, not just technical, but general musical ones.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cobwebs View Post
Loving that suggestion!
These bands inspire me, some of it because I can play the riffs.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
I can't seem to get into death metal but that song looks fun to play! Still not beginner friendly though, it would probably take me months of hard work every day to learn that lol.

That's cool how the recorded mix puts the cymbals on the side of the audience (drummers right, audience left), it was weird hearing the right hand in the left ear and vice versa.

What is that cymbal with the holes on the far right side? And the one Dan has in the same place that kinda looks like an upside-down hat?
Not sure in either case, but the safe bets are an O-zone crash and Holey China or variants from either brand.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Have you heard the new Judas Priest album, Firepower? It's really badass! I like the song Rising From the Ruins. Seems like an easy song to play, with a little practice.
Scott Travis = metal drumming 101

Last edited by bud7h4; 04-07-2018 at 08:46 PM.