DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Sorry Neil......Ringo and Paul has much more "feel" than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
To each his own, I guess.

To me, there's almost nothing worse than a live show that is a literal note for note album version fest. I can stream it for free(anywhere, anytime!) if I want to listen to the album "version" of the song!

I go to a show for the spontaneous musical genius and live energy of a song played with passion, rather than a perfect rehearsal of what I've already heard and enjoyed hundreds of times.

I guess it's kind of polarizing. Shows in my recorded music preferences too if I think about it.
Im with you doc, gimme something new. Ive, in most cases, already heard the studio version several times....now dazzle me!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

It's off topic, but I wonder what Neil is up to these days? I was thinking about him the other day. He poured so much of his life into drumming and getting better as a drummer that I have to wonder how he has delt with no longer being able to play anymore. He may still jam at home a bit but I'm sure that it's a far cry for him going to that from playing on the world's largest stage's. Having to lay down the drums had to have a massive negative impact on him being that he was always committed to growing and getting better even as he aged.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

He's prolly touring on his motorcycle and reading everything he can get his hands on of interest to him. I bet not playing is ok for him. I think of him not as a music lover but as an instrumentalist who worked to perfect his craft on his terms, arranging intricate parts and nailing them in the studio, then live. I dont think of him as having a burning need to listen to music and create music, so I bet retirement suits him just fine.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
It's off topic, but I wonder what Neil is up to these days? I was thinking about him the other day. He poured so much of his life into drumming and getting better as a drummer that I have to wonder how he has delt with no longer being able to play anymore. He may still jam at home a bit but I'm sure that it's a far cry for him going to that from playing on the world's largest stage's. Having to lay down the drums had to have a massive negative impact on him being that he was always committed to growing and getting better even as he aged.
I didn't realize he couldn't play, I kind of got the impression he more or less got sick of it. Does he have a health issue or something?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

I've tried improvising to Rush songs in the past. If I try to get all feely and swingy, it just doesn't fit. Just like trying to put really good drumming to Beatles songs.

Ringo's drumming isn't great. I would not aspire to play as good as Ringo. (Sorry fans).
His drumming was, however, as outrageously original and creative as the Beatles music was.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

I could make Meg White jealous... I think.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
I didn't realize he couldn't play, I kind of got the impression he more or less got sick of it. Does he have a health issue or something?
I do not believe any health issues outside of the normal pains of getting older. I know Neil had tennis elbow type issues in the past. If you watch Time Stand Still, Neil mentions playing the aggressive style of Rush Music night after night while pushing 70 (I'm paraphrasing the gist of what he said in the film). Neil said something along the lines of playing Rolling Stones music at 70 is different than playing Rush music. I'm sure somebody here can do the exact quote.

Just like you and me, there's a point where you will want to retire from a job. Plus, Neil has a young daughter...so I'm sure he wants to "be there" more than he was when he had a family when he was young and touring every month of the year.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
I've tried improvising to Rush songs in the past. If I try to get all feely and swingy, it just doesn't fit. Just like trying to put really good drumming to Beatles songs.

Ringo's drumming isn't great. I would not aspire to play as good as Ringo. (Sorry fans).
His drumming was, however, as outrageously original and creative as the Beatles music was.
Unfortunately for you (and all the rest of us) Ringo's playing is not something one can really aspire to and obtain through learning rudiments and what not. Either you've got it or you haven't. It's just something higher that can't be measured.

Ringo clearly wasn't focused on developping his drumming with intricate technical excercises. He let his intuition guide him, and just as well that he did. The fact that his playing is such a fundamental component of the Beatles' music speaks volumes about his contribution and what other drummers can aspire to contribute to their bands. Ringo is a phenomenon because his artistic intuition let him transcend his technical limitations. If I can't aspire to attaining that natural talent, I can at least try and learn a little from the deeper meaning of Ringo's approach.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I think he was to Rush what Ringo was to the Beatles. Not the best, but the best for their bands. I think it goes without saying that the Beatles catalogue is a bit more diverse, not better, just more diverse, therefore Ringo had to learn and play more than one style. MHO
Exactly. Context is everything.

On this forum we're always extolling the need to "play what the music calls for".

These two drummers were precisely what their bands' music called for. They were like "heaven sent".

I really don't see the need for these apples versus oranges comparison threads. They seem to end up trivializing everything by trying to quantify, qualify, calculate, and whatever else to come to some kind of logical conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
I’m not a Rush fan, but Neil is one of those guys that makes people want to play drums. He’s also often mentioned as one of the drum heroes by many drummers. What more can we ask for?
Peart's influence is undeniable, he is revered by many serious music fans. That in itself should make one consider the value of what he does.

Personally, Rush's style of prog-rock was exactly the kind of thing that left me cold when I was younger. Hence, I never bothered to acquaint myself with their music (back in the pre-Youtube days when you would have to actively seek out and buy CDs).

Now, with more maturity and open-mindedness I have finally come to know them and enjoy quite a bit of their music without finding myself over-analysing and judging the individual members.

I am so relieved that I've finally come to a point where my musical horizon allows me to enjoy such starkly contrasting musical styles without the need to attribute more "worth" to one band or another or to one drummer or another. I don't apply a ranking system within music.

Regarding Rush, I think some of their compositions are fantastic (Spirit of Radio, Xanadu, Tom Sawyer). Like Les said, just far out enough to be highly distinctive and clever whilst still remaining approachable on a more basic, and deeper human level.
I think of them as a typical power trio, and in this context Peart is a very important member.

Last edited by Mike Stand; 04-26-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
He made it pretty obvious he was retiring to be a full time father to his little girl, and do all the things he didn't quite get to do with his previous daughter.

And after all he's been though, to get a 2nd chance at a family, I don't blame him for focusing on that.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

According to a couple of more or less credible sites, chronic tendinitis is the diagnostic :

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest...-the-last-tour

Spare the joints, breathe and chill out, wrists before elbows and 1 up 1 down to protect my core is my motto.

Can you imagine the toll on your body having to hit 6 up 4 down with 22 cymbals and another kit behind you just for show night after night ?

I saw more than my fair share of Rush shows and honestly, this was a looooong time coming.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Since you're all back in a Neil Peart moment, here's what happens when you let Sade's drummer play in Rush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44EsXysEg0
Old 04-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Neil's drumming fits perfectly for Rush music. However, i always felt Neil lacked "feel" and "swing". When you watch the Sabian videos that have Neil, Weckl and others together, you can see a big gap between Neil and the others when improvising.
I've always thought he was a brilliant drummer but can understand the above comment to a degree ....

Personally when I sit and play I know the structure of the song ... start / stops etc. and probably play the same rhythm most of the time but my fills are as I feel on the day and whilst they'll very often be exactly the same or very similar there is a level of improvisation.

I read a while back that Peart practiced and broke down every beat / fill when he played and so every time it was identical .... I'm not sure if that's absolutely true and whilst "technically" they may be very good maybe it gives someone a more "mechanical feel" than their counter parties that are playing more by feel.

Just a thought and not a criticism of him at all.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
I've always thought he was a brilliant drummer but can understand the above comment to a degree ....

Personally when I sit and play I know the structure of the song ... start / stops etc. and probably play the same rhythm most of the time but my fills are as I feel on the day and whilst they'll very often be exactly the same or very similar there is a level of improvisation.

I read a while back that Peart practiced and broke down every beat / fill when he played and so every time it was identical .... I'm not sure if that's absolutely true and whilst "technically" they may be very good maybe it gives someone a more "mechanical feel" than their counter parties that are playing more by feel.

Just a thought and not a criticism of him at all.
I agree that these arenít criticisms of Mr. Peart, either. But itís just the way it is. The man is brilliant playing in Rush and nobody is saying he canít do that. He just doesnít play non-Rush music very well. I think thatís an ok thing to say. Stewart Copeland doesnít sound great on anything that isnít his either, but we all agree heís great at what he does do.

I donít understand why his die-hard fans get so upset when someone points this out. Has anyone ever noticed Stevie Ray Vaughn sounds really good when playing Stevie Ray? Why would I want him to be able to play like Brian May of Queen? Itís ok if your heroes canít do everything. I kind of donít want them to.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I agree that these arenít criticisms of Mr. Peart, either. But itís just the way it is. The man is brilliant playing in Rush and nobody is saying he canít do that. He just doesnít play non-Rush music very well. I think thatís an ok thing to say. Stewart Copeland doesnít sound great on anything that isnít his either, but we all agree heís great at what he does do.

I donít understand why his die-hard fans get so upset when someone points this out. Has anyone ever noticed Stevie Ray Vaughn sounds really good when playing Stevie Ray? Why would I want him to be able to play like Brian May of Queen? Itís ok if your heroes canít do everything. I kind of donít want them to.

100% with you on this and certain drummers suit certain bands ... look at Nick Mason but I love what he does with the music he's playing.

I went for an audition for a band once when I was much younger and I mentioned Dire Straights Drummer ... the second I did I knew I wasn't going to be part of the band but what he did worked with the music.

I do think it's interesting though that some of the well known drummers don't seem to be quite so good when it seems to be more improvised.

Not that long ago for the 1st time ever, rather than just improvising every fill along the way I had an evening of listened to the music 1st and in my mind imagined what fills I'd play ... I then rewound the song and went back and learnt what had gone through my mind.

Some of them were a lot better than what I just instinctively played ... maybe that's what these guys do and memorize them and if they're doing it all the time maybe it takes the ability to improvise away and is why they don't sound so amazing out of their known comfort zone.

There's probably a happy house somewhere in between the two???