DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Would you join a band for popularity?

A band in a genre I don't listen to ask me to try out for them. Music is easy enough, catchy, and poppy and has a few records out. They have toured and played warped tour and other high profile gigs.

I could have fun playing these songs because they are pretty straight forward but it's not what I would be caught typically playing.

Would you take the gig?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Would you join a band for popularity?

Just ask if you would get more money or if the opportunity opens more doors for more money than you currently earn.

Last edited by MrPockets; 02-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Show me the MONEY!!!!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Please note that if you don't like the music you're setting up to play well enough, you'll end up hating things unless you're paid well for your "job" as their drummer.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

I have found that if the money is good, and you still hate the music, take the gig anyway. It's a music gig - it's gonna end soon enough. So you won't have to deal with playing music yo hate too long. Just play the game, make like you love the music and get paid while you're playing. That's better than not getting paid, right?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 PM

If I wasn't gigging, yes, in a heart beat.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you said you could have fun playing the gigs so, you must be concerned what other people would think of your choice.

You might become more fond of the genre once you learn to appreciate it.

I wasn't fond of the 80's Hair Band genre until I stated playing it with a band. Now I dig it because it's easy and I often get to bang the hell out of the drums.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
A band in a genre I don't listen to ask me to try out for them. Music is easy enough, catchy, and poppy and has a few records out. They have toured and played warped tour and other high profile gigs.

I could have fun playing these songs because they are pretty straight forward but it's not what I would be caught typically playing.

Would you take the gig?
I don't see where the "popularity" factors in, but if you're capable of playing the music, and have an opportunity to make some money, then you accept their invitation.

Unless you're one of those guys who thinks you're in a position to pick and choose gigs.

You're not one of them, are you?

Good. Because they don't usually have a future in music.

Now that we're clear... go and try out for the gig!

Bermuda
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Would you take the gig?
Could you pay off, or at least make strong headway, on any debt from a mortgage, credit line, or student loans with the income from this gig?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Yea, the theme for the all the responses: If it pays good enough, take it. If you like the music and would have fun, you might want to take it. If it doesn't pay well and you don't like the music, walk.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

As someone who has been in bands of wildly varying popularity levels, let me just say this, it is much better to play for a packed house rather to play for 10-15 patrons. BUT...and this is a huge caveat... it needs to be music you either enjoy or don't mind playing.

I was not really a fan of country music, when I was asked to join a band a few years ago. I listened to the songs though, and I really enjoyed what they were doing. So, I gave it a shot and the band played many sold out shows, toured, had radio airplay in the U.S. and Europe. All of those experiences were things I would have missed simply because I didn't want to play a genre I wasn't familiar with.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
As someone who has been in bands of wildly varying popularity levels, let me just say this, it is much better to play for a packed house rather to play for 10-15 patrons. BUT...and this is a huge caveat... it needs to be music you either enjoy or don't mind playing.
Well, I don't think in terms of how many people are there. I like being a professional and giving the same 100% regardless of the audience. I did that when people couldn't even see my face. If you're a real player, it shouldn't matter who's out there - you're hired to do the best job you can, not to give a lot when the house is sold out.

Remember the story when The Police hit the #1 spot in English record sales, they were playing to 10 people in Virginia? They played like it was a full house, took the time to actually meet every person there watching, even. Next day, it turns out one of those ten people was a local radio dj and he began to rotate Police music heavily on his show, really helping their exposure. I took a big lesson from that story.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

If you want to get your name out there and get more work as a musician than you need to take every gig that comes at you.

Keep in mind that this is coming to you from the biggest whore on the planet who will say yes to just about any gig no matter how big or small.
YouTube
Old 02-13-2018, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, I don't think in terms of how many people are there. I like being a professional and giving the same 100% regardless of the audience. I did that when people couldn't even see my face. If you're a real player, it shouldn't matter who's out there - you're hired to do the best job you can, not to give a lot when the house is sold out.

Remember the story when The Police hit the #1 spot in English record sales, they were playing to 10 people in Virginia? They played like it was a full house, took the time to actually meet every person there watching, even. Next day, it turns out one of those ten people was a local radio dj and he began to rotate Police music heavily on his show, really helping their exposure. I took a big lesson from that story.
I didn't notice in Chunkaway's post where he said he gave less when he played to 10-15, only that it was better to play to a big crowd. The assumption that he gave less than 100% is yours.

And, to the OP, I would take it if I wanted to play gigs!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I didn't notice in Chunkaway's post where he said he gave less when he played to 10-15, only that it was better to play to a big crowd. The assumption that he gave less than 100% is yours.

And, to the OP, I would take it if I wanted to play gigs!
Sorry. My bad. Accept my apologies. There's just never a time when I look out and think I'm not gonna have as much fun if the place isn't full or not.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
If you want to get your name out there and get more work as a musician than you need to take every gig that comes at you.

Keep in mind that this is coming to you from the biggest whore on the planet who will say yes to just about any gig no matter how big or small.
That's how it works. The guys who work the most, are the guy's who'll work the most.

Once you have a reputation for turning down gigs, the calls stop coming.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

I take pretty much every gig I'm offered. It's a great way to get yourself out there and eligible for more gigs. Plus, whatever the music, I feel like the worst night of playing music is still pretty damn good. I'd take it if I were you.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry. My bad. Accept my apologies. There's just never a time when I look out and think I'm not gonna have as much fun if the place isn't full or not.
Well, I didn't mean to bust your chops about it; I just didn't interpret the post the same way you did.

For the record, I've played gigs with just a few people in the bar and had a real blast! But I have played gigs with just a few people in the bar that were just excruciating, too, and not just for me, lol. If you've never experienced that, you're a fortunate man. ;)

I don't see that happening in the OP's case, though.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 AM

The drummer for falloutboy plays meshuggah in his solos... and he is probably a multimillionaire... what does that tell you?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

I certainly would : never miss an opportunity to gig ! The only problem wouldn't be the music style but the guys, if the guys are uncool, that's more a problem to me. It's better to get on well if you do many gigs.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Iím almost in that situation in the land of the pub gig.
Iíve been in a Classic and Chart Rock band for about three years, in terms of our set, playing ability and singer Iíd put us up against all but the very best and longest established of the local pub bands. Thereís lots of competition on the local circuit and pretty much every gig we get is hard won in terms of phoning, messaging, calling in person, repeating all those steps.
My other band is a Glam Rock band thatís a little over a year old. There are very few similar bands locally, musical snobs could very easily look down their noses at what we do, pubs have been approaching us and working hard with their diaries to get us back and they also pay us more.
At a stretch you could say that this band has that element of popularity, the whole experience is more ďfunĒ because itís by no means easy but itís not quite as crushingly difficult to run the diary.

To address a point that also came up, I realised a while ago that what I enjoy about gigging is the audience response, not just the act of playing the music. A small audience where even one or two people are making eye contact and obviously enjoying it is enough to make a gig a joy, a roomful is obviously the best. Iím only human and as much as I give it my best at all gigs, the fact that a fantastic gig can result in me and the band raising our game to another level has to also mean that there is a level below that which I thought was 100% but isnít.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I always gave 100%, regardless of what band I played with. I love playing the drums, so why would I not want to do the best I could? But, the energy of a sold out show vs. playing to 10-15 is wildly different.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

If they paid me enough to make it worth my while I'll play ANYTHING regardless of how popular they are. Make sure it's worth your while financially. Mortgage companies don't accept popularity as a payment :)

It's nice to be one of those guys who can be relied on to play anything. You'll never be short of work.

As others have said, it's nice to play in front of packed venues. I did a bike rally playing classic rock in front of 2500 people once that was cool. Played to a boy scout festival which was about 2000 people playing pop covers.

Having said that I've played to an empty room and still been paid the same. As long as you can handle to bad gigs you appreciate the really good ones.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me. His mates were all in a band in the early 70s called Athens Wood that never really did much. The drummer took a gig playing strict tempo to packed out dance halls and made good money. The singer did the same thing his name was Rob Halford and joined some local up and coming band called Judas Priest and did fairly well for himself as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

If it's a hobby project: If it's fun to play, I'll play it, regardless of whether or not it's something I'd usually listen to myself.

If it's a paid gig (enough to live on): I'd do it, regardless of style. I'd rather make a living playing "crappy" (to me) music to people who want to hear it than sit in an office all day programming business software (which is what I do now). Absolutely no question.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Would you take the gig?
You should pass on the gig.

(But have them call me.)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

This reminds me of waay back in the day, in a local band I was in.
The saying was "hey, we play the same for one, as we do for....two."
Which was funny, as we didn't really have much but the locals at those lil bars. ;)

Anyway, to the OP:
I say go for it. Besides, they are asking you to "Try Out". Maybe you won't be a good fit , and they won't hire you. ;)

Good luck.

T.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I was poised and ready to join a really great Southern Rock band in the 80's, whose drummer was leaving to do "Godspell". But right before he left....the Country Music craze hit hard. Circa 1982 or thereabouts. We had to change the show to a Country show, because our agent had a whole list of Country Music places that were hiring. I never played or listened to Country. I was a little deflated, as I was a big Southern Rock junkie.
It turned out to be musically one of the best things I ever did, not shying away from a gig I knew nothing about. I still use those experiences to this day. The moral...take the gig. You never know what will come out of it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go for it.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 PM

if you like the music enough to enjoy playing it

and can make money from it

and can stand the people you'll be playing/touring/whatnot with

then I say go for it
Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 PM

I use the example of Philip "Fish" Fisher of Fishbone. Loved them in the 80's and then he got asked to drum for Justin Timberlake when he left N'SYNC.
Many fans thought he'd NEVER take that gig as Justin's music was a 180 from Fishbone's.
Guess what...he's drumming for Justin.

Why? $$$

Fisher ain't no fool and he probably saw the opportunity to play for someone who was already engineer of the popularity train. He also knew playing in small clubs and bars wouldn't take him to the next level in being a professional drummer.

I'd do the same thing were I in his shoes. I've purposely studied (and sometimes played) about every genre of music just so I can be ready if something like this came up.

Do the gig, man. Do it with no delay!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Exposure!!!! Playing out can sometimes lead to other opportunities. You never know who may be listening. The more people you play in front of the better.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

"What's more abstract than sound?" -Bob Moses

Enjoy the experience and throw everything you have into it!

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I was poised and ready to join a really great Southern Rock band in the 80's, whose drummer was leaving to do "Godspell". But right before he left....the Country Music craze hit hard. Circa 1982 or thereabouts. We had to change the show to a Country show, because our agent had a whole list of Country Music places that were hiring. I never played or listened to Country. I was a little deflated, as I was a big Southern Rock junkie.
It turned out to be musically one of the best things I ever did, not shying away from a gig I knew nothing about. I still use those experiences to this day. The moral...take the gig. You never know what will come out of it.
This.

And I'd only add one thing: when is it NOT fun to play the drums? Is playing music you're not a fan of really such a hardship - especially when you're getting paid for it? I'm not a fan of the Eagles - rather dislike them, actually - but kicking out a 2-and-4 on 'Take It Easy' beats the hell out of staying at home and searching for a new series to watch on Netflix.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

For popularity, no. For recognition, yes. For money, yes.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Popularity wasn't the term I was going for but recognition is.

The band isn't a signed or paying gig. They are local and have been able to play a few fest but they are not a full time touring band.