My Kit Build Begins!

That's a beautiful kit - you are going to have fun!

Love the white, too. Timelessly classic.

Wow, I wish my first kit had been as good as yours! Nice choices all round.

I'm heading back to Istanbul on Wednesday

I'll bet 50p that you'll come home with another crash cymbal, lol

Seriously though, there are few greater pleasures than setting up a new kit for the first time and getting it dialed in. Enjoy it!

It most certainly is beautiful.

Of course you have cats. I knew you were nice. Your cats might surprise you. My most neurotic one isn't remotely bothered. Your bass drum reso head isn't ported, is it? If it is, check for cats before playing!

Your bass drum reso head isn't ported, is it? If it is, check for cats before playing!

^THIS

I've been had by this exact scenario more than once in the past. There isn't much more alarming than an animal darting out of your kick drum when you start playing, not to mention, it makes you feel like a real jerk.

It most certainly is beautiful.

Of course you have cats. I knew you were nice. Your cats might surprise you. My most neurotic one isn't remotely bothered. Your bass drum reso head isn't ported, is it? If it is, check for cats before playing!

Aawwwww. I'm blushing now Madge. Very nice of you to say - right back at you too. :D

No the reso head isn't ported. Cor blimey, that'd make a cat's ears ring eh!?

Cor blimey??? You Brits talk funny, and you still spell aluminum wrong!!! But, that's a super looking kit, Mart. I think that white looks real sharp. You made a real good choice. I'm a biker guy myself, and I almost bought a Triumph Speed Triple this past January, but went with something else.

Thanks again guys.

@KT - I'll be blowed us Brits talk normally - tis everyone else that speaks queer.

:D

So, is my kit layout about right? I guess it's each to their own in this respect but have I committed any newbie errors as can be seen from this shot?

Drummer's eye view...almost by grimsbytog, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, is my kit layout about right? I guess it's each to their own in this respect but have I committed any newbie errors as can be seen from this shot?

Drummer's eye view...almost by grimsbytog, on Flickr

It seems to me like the spacing between your kick/snare/hats is rather large, which is pretty typical with beginners. I typically like to keep my snare directly in front of my high rack tom, or as close as possible, and the edge of my hats, from an aerial view will sit about flush with the edge of my snare hoop, and may even overlap my snare at times. Your floor tom is a little far away for my taste, but that's really up to you, and your arm length will likely be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to close the gaps when next I'm at the kit.

You might want to try setting up like they do in the video posted above (although it cuts off early). I put my kit together in the same sequence, which I just naturally started doing after years of kit setups. I start with the pedals and snare, and position them as comfortably as possible, because this is where the vast majority of playing will usually happen.

On that note, the only thing that looks awkward to me is your pedal placement. If I were to play your kit as is, I'd be facing way left and that floor tom would be almost behind me. Otherwise, if I were facing forward, my foot would be at a weird angle on the hat pedal and it would be a tough reach to play the hats with sticks.

The below photo is my practice kit, which gives you a good look at my pedal/snare placement. Again those three key pieces, kick, hats, and snare, are positioned as comfortably as possible (for me). You might want to give it a try. Note pedal angles too. Experiment a little by angling them in/out until you find the sweet spot. Keep in mind the snare, hat, and throne height are also factors here. For the throne, I try to keep my thighs parallel to the floor or close to parallel. As for hat and snare height, here again it's trial and error. I just fiddled around until I found a height that gave me the best feel while playing. For me, the snare batter is a few inches above my knees, then I adjust hats high enough to give me room for cross-sticking, but low enough to easily play the hat top with sticks. After all that is done, I build the rest of the kit on this foundation.

Attachments

• prac.jpg
    prac.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 198
Thanks for the advice on kit layout. Once back in Blighty I'll be sure to shuffle the kit around.

I had a chat with a drum tutor who's only a mile or two away from me so I'm all set to go!

:D

I can't help but notice that you have parked an English motor vehicle on a carpet/rug.

That's all well and good but someday you will want to fill it with oil.

When that day comes, I suggest you park it on a surface that is more easily wiped. As you have cats, a small container of kitty litter does wonders do absorb oil drips. You'll have to train the cats to keep clear of it though. Leaked oil is fairly benign. Cat poo, less so.

I hope they're building Triumphs better nowadays.
I had 4 of them in the distant past - two 500's and two 650's.
They all were oil leakers with crappy electronics and finicky carbs.
Light and fairly quick in their day though.

The modern ones seem much better built.
Even my Harley Sportster doesn't leak oil - LOL

Indeed - tis my Triumph Bonneville parked in my man cave. It's a 2014 model and, thankfully, it doesn't seem to leak oil. Still, early days yet eh? :)

Here's a pic in Grimsby docks taken last year:

16121679427_3863585c5f_b.jpg

LOL - Lucas electrics and dribbling Amal carb ticklers.

Maybe modern stuff isn't so bad after all.

Mart61 - that's a nice looking bike. It'd be fun to take it for a spin.

Back