The problem with extremely tight snare resos...

Bull

Gold Member
Sometimes they do this.

165852_3920130959150_932707882_n.jpg

It sounded like a gunshot. Scared the hell out of me. :)

Last edited:
It was brand new. I had just put it on. I always crank my resos,marching band style. I guess I should be thankful that it's only the second time it has happened in over 30 years.

check your hoops / bearing edges on the bottom. this happened to me & the hoops were warped (looked like a roller coaster). it was a 12 lug drum & the guy i loaned it to didnt know how to tune them up right.

I think uber-tight resos on a snare are way overrated. Pretty much every how-to-tune thing I’ve ever heard or read says the reso should be tighter than the batter on a snare, but I’ve never done that, and I get some great sounds.

Why have I never tightened the reso? Well, because I’m always afraid of exactly what happened to you!

If you like the sound of a tight reso, use the SA-0314-TD.
It's the no collar version, and was developed for marching snares.

It sounds great, and is sensitive. It's the same thickness as the hazy, but it's clear film.
The Hazy film really stretches too (and over time really stretches), and the clear doesn't as much.

Similar in design/profile as a Ludwig SS, but it has a beefier tone than Ludwig's.

I've used these for years and years, and have yet to have one pop.

If you like the sound of a tight reso, use the SA-0314-TD.
It's the no collar version, and was developed for marching snares.

It sounds great, and is sensitive. It's the same thickness as the hazy, but it's clear film.
The Hazy film really stretches too (and over time really stretches), and the clear doesn't as much.

Similar in design/profile as a Ludwig SS, but it has a beefier tone than Ludwig's.

I've used these for years and years, and have yet to have one pop.

My record is pretty good. That was only my second explosion. Lol

I will look into those,though.

Thanks!

Karl who makes the SA-0314-TD? Remo? Ludwig?

Larry,

Remo makes that head. Here is the google search I did to check prices and availability

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output....,cf.osb&fp=7e31dd1cd0ae5982&biw=1383&bih=844

They are pretty inexpensive (like 12 dollars shipped in usa etc). Definitely going to try these out.

On a side note, the new Evans hybrid head which is both mylar and kevlar is getting some good reviews for batter sides of snare drums. I know it won't be good for everyone, but it has the durability of a kevlar head (like basically a lifetime of playing) with the mylar to soften the impacts. I know Haake from Meshuggah uses them on his snare drum. Most on here might not have a use for them, but for 40 dollar batter head that can last forever, that isn't half bad :)

Back