Head Ideas For Drum N Bass

sky92

hiya people
i know i ask alot of of you guys
but im just wondering
is there any specific drum head
that would be used for drum and bass/electronic rock ?

if not what would be the best to use
because im not very knowledgeable concerning drum heads

I don't really know what kind of music you are talking about, but if you are asking what kind of bass drum head you should get, I just got an Evans EMAD, which had this adjustable foam ring around the outside of it to muffle it, and kill nasty overtones. It's wicked!!!! i now have no blanket or anything in my bass drum, and its sounds superb!!! by the way EMADs are batter bass drum heads, so if you were wondering about resonant bass heads, sorry i wasted your time!!!

Check out whatever heads Jojo Mayer is using/has used. He's with Evans now but used to be with Remo. I think he used Renaissance heads for toms/snare. Not sure of bass drum.

Note: He has at least one drum which he tunes down as an effect type snare which I think is much dampened than the rest of his kit

I don't play DnB but the kits I've heard are smaller drums with resonant heads tuned up a bit with the snare being very tight.

You may want to check some videos of Jojo in the DW video section to see what he goes for.

HTH

JIm

stuff like pendulum? its all triggered bro.

Not all of it. A lot of it's just a matter of EQing the drums out of their wits, but I suppose that's practically the same thing.

In the videos I've seen Jojo Mayer play in (being the only famous drummer I know who plays Drum n' Bass and breakbeat stuff), he uses coated heads of a variety I couldn't discern. If you check out his page on the Drummerworld main site, you can watch a bunch of videos and use those as a starting point.

Check out Johnny Rabb's book on Jungle and Drum & Bass drumming. Lot's of info on achieving the best sounds on acoustic drums.

I don't really know what kind of music you are talking about, but if you are asking what kind of bass drum head you should get, I just got an Evans EMAD, which had this adjustable foam ring around the outside of it to muffle it, and kill nasty overtones. It's wicked!!!! i now have no blanket or anything in my bass drum, and its sounds superb!!! by the way EMADs are batter bass drum heads, so if you were wondering about resonant bass heads, sorry i wasted your time!!!

I have to say I am officially done with Evans heads completely. I used them on my toms and I just never could get the right sound until I switched back to Remo. But I always liked using the EMAD system on my kick drums but I used to have the Evans reso bass drum head with the little foam ring that went around the edge of the hole and it would ALWAYS pop-out after only a couple of songs (and I'm not that hard a hitter). They would also fray and stat to pull apart from itself. Poor design. I wrote to Evans to inform them of the issue in hopes they would redesign it and they said they were in the midst of a redesign and included a bag of extra rings (which was nice). But still I abandoned the use of the rings completely.
On the batter head I use the same Evans head with the dampening ring that slides into the plastic channel around the diameter of the head and as of last night during a gig, I looked down to find the entire foam ring tangled in my left foot. Not only had it come off but the plastic retainer ring had cracked and broke apart, allowing the foam ring to fall out. Completely junk. The head is not that old either.
So today I am going to GC to start looking for a non-Evans solution and the next phase (and hopefully better) of bass drum dampening.

Back