Hey, any news from our Queensland brothers?

Andy

Honorary Member
Man, those guys are getting more than their fair share of heavy crap. The floods were bad enough, but that Cyclone is one mother of a storm. I know we've got a couple of Queensland members. I do hope they're ok.

Anyhow what's happening folks? I was thinking these global weather events were due to climate change by whatever mechanism. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's a karma thing after all. I mean, c'mon, quality problems with a flagship Sonor? Something's going down!

From what I heard they mostly got out of it unscathed. Queensland gets cyclones every year, and despite the strength of this one, it only hit a few country towns and there have been no reported casualties yet. A fair few people have been left homeless, but not as many as were predicted.

Seemingly no casualties - if you don't count houses, trees, boats etc (pics from Brisbane Times)

mega5.jpg

fallen2.jpg

Then every kid in Australia will have a drumkit for sure! with that insurance payout.

Then every kid in Australia will have a drumkit for sure! with that insurance payout.

Sore point for many Ian......there's hoardes of people who were either not insured, under insured or the insurance co's. are using fine print (read, microscopic) as to what constitutes a "flood".....the same will follow when the full damage assesments are made after the cyclone.

The kids will be waiting a while for their new kits, I'd guess.

It´s a pity to hear that mate! but that´s life, isn't it? something else...we try to keep it well but it comes and goes.

Sore point for many Ian......there's hoardes of people who were either not insured, under insured or the insurance co's. are using fine print (read, microscopic) as to what constitutes a "flood".....the same will follow when the full damage assesments are made after the cyclone.

The kids will be waiting a while for their new kits, I'd guess.

Flooding to the south, then cyclone to the north, I'm so lucky that Noosa or the Sunshine Coast didn't get affected. The Brisbane Con, where I'm going to study next year, is right on the brisbane river but luckily didn't get too badly affected...my friend joked that the flooding was ok because only the classical section is on the ground floor :p turned out that only the underground car park was a bit damaged. The on-campus apartments I'm moving into (at a different campus) are also ok thanks to the large hill that the suburb is on. So on the whole, very lucky.

Flooding to the south, then cyclone to the north, I'm so lucky that Noosa or the Sunshine Coast didn't get affected. The Brisbane Con, where I'm going to study next year, is right on the brisbane river but luckily didn't get too badly affected...my friend joked that the flooding was ok because only the classical section is on the ground floor :p turned out that only the underground car park was a bit damaged. The on-campus apartments I'm moving into (at a different campus) are also ok thanks to the large hill that the suburb is on. So on the whole, very lucky.

Be safe, Gust, you have a lot more drumming to do!

I'm glad there aren't too many people displaced down there. I've been glued to the news watching Egypt and unfortunately here in the States, the Australia storm took not just the back seat, but is probably not even in the car. Live well everyone!

the Australia storm took not just the back seat, but is probably not even in the car.

We're used to being overlooked Bo.

What's that old saying? 90% of New Yorkers don't know there is a 'rest of America'.....and 90% of the rest of America don't know there is a 'rest of the world'. :)

We're used to being overlooked Bo.

What's that old saying? 90% of New Yorkers don't know there is a 'rest of America'.....and 90% of the rest of America don't know there is a 'rest of the world'. :)

Very true, in a way it has its advantages though, regularly I get into conversations due to the fact I'm Australian because it's seen as quite novel to Americans.

Hey There,

Brisbane is on the mend, i've spent the last week ringing up QLD songwriters who were in the affected areas offering them an advance on their royalties. There have been some pretty amazing stories.

Thankfully there haven't been too many horror stories, but there are some very appreicative people out there!!

This weekend will be my fourth flood relief gig. LOTS of people donating proceeds from gigs to flood relief.

I'm glad there aren't too many people displaced down there. I've been glued to the news watching Egypt and unfortunately here in the States, the Australia storm took not just the back seat, but is probably not even in the car. Live well everyone!

Well, Egypt is a little more significant than Australia at the moment. Our news is saturated with flood and cyclone. I think I heard 1 dead and 2 missing from the cyclone...quite sad.

Very true, in a way it has its advantages though, regularly I get into conversations due to the fact I'm Australian because it's seen as quite novel to Americans.

Although I'm American, I would be insulted to be seen as quite novel.
I'm sure there is much more respect than that, eh?

Although I'm American, I would be insulted to be seen as quite novel.
I'm sure there is much more respect than that, eh?

I'm pretty easy going, I like meeting new people, if something sparks up a harmless conversation on say, a game, or a forum, it's a good thing. It isn't disrespectful to find cultural nuances entertaining.

Hey Trop, good to see you're okay - sorry for forgetting about you! How's your home?

Gusty, seems like you're super lucky, living right in between all the mayhem. Yes, they're recently reported one dead person although there could easily have been so many more.

Back