Multi position throw off - snare strainer?

imispgh

Does someone make one of these? I see Portnoy has a Tama snare out that comes with a three position one. Could see that coming in handy.

I believe Trick makes a three position throw off.

Dennis

I'm confused... what is a multi-position throw off? Does that mean that it has multiple throw-offs around the drum? or do you mean that you can lock the snares into different degrees of tightness?

The Trick throw off I mentioned actually locks in three different positions. Off, then at about 3/4 and full on.

Dennis

I thought the Trick throw off just has Off and several On positions of the same tension in case you hit it while playing so it doesn't go off completely.

I thought the Trick throw off just has Off and several On positions of the same tension in case you hit it while playing so it doesn't go off completely.

It might, but I thought it had a variable tension design. It's been a while since I saw one. I do know it works on a cam design and they're very smooth and quiet to operate.

Dennis

I want to find something that gives me more flexibility while playing or between songs. Minimizes screw ups and finding the right settings in between

Pearl has a couple of "orchestral/symphonic" drums with multiple strainers/throw-offs (to allow for different sets of snares to be independently engaged)

I dig that's notwhat you are looking for, but I thought I'd bring it up as an alternative option for different snare settings

I was under the impression the trick unit was a "multi-tension" device, BUT that is only an impression, I've never used one

should be as easy as an email to those guys though

The Dave Weckl sig snare with its two strainer/snare sets gives you 3 snare "on" sounds. I always liked his snare sound.

Wouldn't mind finding one of those drums - probably the only signature thing anyone's ever done that I could see myself paying for, but its prohibitively expensive.

The Ayotte Throw-off isn't exactly "multi position", more so an "any position" throw-off. This is made possibly by a standard drum key which can independently tighten or loosen the action of the throw-off lever. When loose it works much like any other strainer would, but when you tighten the drum key that locks it, the lever will stay put wherever you leave it along the rotation of the handle (which rotates from an almost horizontal position, to about 160° in the other direction) and will stay put without loosening.

The only downfall, which is very minor, is that if you really tighten the locking screw (for say really heavy hitting), it makes actually adjusting the lever a bit difficult. Not to an unpleasant degree, the benefits far outweigh the downfalls, but its definitely noticable.

Black Panther snares have a throwoff which does not have positions, it goes from full off, to any tightness you want.

Last edited:
This drum is from Black Swamp.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-05 at 8.33.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-05 at 8.33.27 AM.png
    113 KB · Views: 1,655
gsr1450_enlarged.jpg

(14x5,5 Rosewood stave symphonic snare)

Or:

big.jpg

snareyamahawecklff5.jpg

1195051301_200x169.jpg

(14x5,5 or 13x5,5 Dave Weckl signature snare in Maple Black Maple or Aluminium)

Or:

rclassthrow-1.jpg

(the Dunnett strainer is both multi positionable and left or right handed to use)

Last edited:
Back