How bad is a slight crack around the wrap overlap?

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I'm considering a used New Classic bop shell pack, including soft cases, for £500. The only thing is, there's a slight crack from a flaw in the wrapping of the 12" where it overlaps. How bad is this, and will it get any worse? Should this put me off, or will it just stay there not causing any fuss?

I should also say it's invisible to any audience.

thanks.

Here's a picture:

523643_10151020835753093_1500305847_n.jpg

Quote from seller: "Damage on the 12. notice the slight crack coming off the wrap where it overlaps"

I just re-wrapped a kit and the final edge is the hardest part. It can be fixed, taking a small amount of the adhesive and appling it with like a q-tip or something small. the adhesive i used is 3m brand and actually has to sit for 15 minutse or so before you put the wrap on the drim. Take a tooth pick to keep a gap in the wrap for 15 min. after getting as much adhesive in there as possible. it wont take much. then pull out the tooth pick and apply a little pressure. Just for like 30 seconds and it will be permanent. I hope that sounds correct, i can do it i just may not be clear in explaining it.

also, if the guy calls that damage, the drums must be mint!!

Two things. First the lugs will hold it together, so it shouldn't get any worse.
Secondly if it is at the seam where the wrap over laps, you could strip the hardware and put some glue under it and pressure tape it down then put the drum back together and you may never know it.

Edit: I am at work and couldn't see the photo so I opened on my iPhone. Just take off the lugs near the spot of the wrap overlap and put some clear drying glue under the wrap and clamp it until it is try then put the lugs back on. They do, and will look great. Not to worry.

Aw, heck, just use some duct tape. That'll take care of ANY problem.

Duct tape? That is Gretsch blasphemy. Save the tape for the Ludwigs.

if you don't mind the way the crack looks but you just want to keep it in place, then just run a bead of crazy glue on it... that will seal it... also crazy glue is sandable... that's a tip i learned from making model airplanes

Back