Cymbal Art.

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Check out this cymbal art. It is called "Rhythm" by Matt McConnell and it is awesome. See it in person at the Omni hotel in Nashville, TN or see some additional images here:
http://design-milk.com/rhythm-matt-mcconnell

From the Twitter account @sabian_vault

Attachments

• 1459284_10151694107356237_2052697218_n.jpg
    1459284_10151694107356237_2052697218_n.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 798
I have mixed thoughts about it.

Conceptually and aesthetically it works.

It could have been done just as well with some other non-functional metal though, so those cymbals could be used for their intended purpose.

But ya - it looks cool, and would be neat to see in person.

I don't like it. It's not really that aesthetically pleasing, and there are brand new ugly sabian logos on every pie in the "piece". If it could be made into a display to sell cymbals from, that might be interesting, but as "art", it seems kinda lame to me.

Art wise, it didn't really speak to me. Drummer wise, I want to make it speak in the worst way...

I have mixed thoughts about it.

Conceptually and aesthetically it works.

It could have been done just as well with some other non-functional metal though, so those cymbals could be used for their intended purpose.

But ya - it looks cool, and would be neat to see in person.

My thoughts too. Ideally you'd use ZBTs and Pitch Blacks. I wouldn't want to dust it, though.

Very unique and interesting....be a shame if the skeletal spine were to fracture, pouring discs onto the floor while I was there with my backpack. (My hacksaw and lock cutter fit in my backpack, ironically, with plenty of space left for round objects up to 18")

I really don't see the point. It's a few bars of metal with cymbals all over them. I mean, sure, it's "artistic" in nature, but damn, it's ugly.

A few different views. One from the lobby of the country Music Hall of Fame.

Attachments

• Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-01.jpg
    Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-02.jpg
    Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-02.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-03-600x571.jpg
    Matt-McConnell-Rhythm-03-600x571.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 165
+1.....I hate dusting the cymbals on my kit

I think it looks pretty cool........kind of reminds me of a dinosaur skeleton

Some years ago I decided that I never wanted another ornament with crevices or slots - they're dust catchers. As for your cymbals, I suggest playing on them a bit to prevent buildup :)

But yeah, it does has a spinal look about it.

Thanks for the extra perspective, John.

I can identify it as art but somehow it also seems like a huge waste of material to me. Well compared to what Sabian are putting out it's not worth mentioning but a few dozen people could make nice music with that same amount of cymbals instead of having it hanging on the wall somewhere.

Back