DIRTY LOOPS

The term "tight as a bugs ass" comes to mind. Ultra precise high level musicianship combined with soul. It's almost too good. A little looseness wouldn't hurt them.

And that's an accolade that very few could carry with any credibility, but this guy can :) Pol, I agree, as much as I'd like these three to stick together, & as much as we believe in the value of the superb drummer & bass player (especially the bass player IMO), the business bastards of this world will likely see it differently. I'm totally with Joe on this though, separating these guys, & killing the very special vibe they have, would be criminal, but the music business is a shady pit with a homogeneous bent :(

I always think of a local band in the 80s, Rupert B Funkafied Filth. First time I saw those young guys playing I felt sick - the drummer was heaps younger than me but 100x better. They were playing some wicked James Brown style funk and I became a regular.

So I was disappointed to hear their single which, to me, was a sellout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvo-w6xKZo

It's a great little soul song in hindsight, but they were playing so far within themselves it was a shock after hearing them tear it up at gigs. At least with the midset I had then. But most listeners aren't musos so most serious players have to take out a lot of notes to make a living because regular punters find it hard to keep up. The bassist, Steve Balbi, went on to make it big with Noiseworks. Not sure what happened with the others.

Who knows? I like what Dirty Loops are doing - appealing pop with hot playing - they even play a Justin Beiber cover and make it sound cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

Have to say that bassist needs to stay out of prison ...

I always think of a local band in the 80s, Rupert B Funkafied Filth. First time I saw those young guys playing I felt sick - the drummer was heaps younger than me but 100x better. They were playing some wicked James Brown style funk and I became a regular.

So I was disappointed to hear their single which, to me, was a sellout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvo-w6xKZo

It's a great little soul song in hindsight, but they were playing so far within themselves it was a shock after hearing them tear it up at gigs. At least with the midset I had then. But most listeners aren't musos so most serious players have to take out a lot of notes to make a living because regular punters find it hard to keep up. The bassist, Steve Balbi, went on to make it big with Noiseworks. Not sure what happened with the others.

Who knows? I like what Dirty Loops are doing - appealing pop with hot playing - they even play a Justin Beiber cover and make it sound cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

Have to say that bassist needs to stay out of prison ...

Now why would you say that about the bassist. To be honest and I know everyone would pick the vocalist but if they were to split up I say the bassist picks up a major tour with a major artist quickly. Bass players with his style, look, and groove are hard to come by. I would hire that guy in a heartbeat.

Now why would you say that about the bassist. To be honest and I know everyone would pick the vocalist but if they were to split up I say the bassist picks up a major tour with a major artist quickly. Bass players with his style, look, and groove are hard to come by. I would hire that guy in a heartbeat.

He's a very pretty boy, Joe :)

Yes, he seems to be in that line of bassists that stems from Jaco. I saw in the bio that he's into Tribal Tech, which doesn't surprise me at all. Agree, he'll never be short of gigs. I singled out the vocalist because he's such a hot keys player as well - players like that can write a lot of music.

He's a very pretty boy, Joe :)

Yes, he seems to be in that line of bassists that stems from Jaco. I saw in the bio that he's into Tribal Tech, which doesn't surprise me at all. Agree, he'll never be short of gigs. I singled out the vocalist because he's such a hot keys player as well - players like that can write a lot of music.

What is there web site url if you please.

Honestly I really don't like that band....it even gets really difficult for me to listen to them...
I love music, the idea of making something of your own, of just express yourself through music, and listening to this band I feel like the just want to show off their chops.
I don't feel any dinamic, any "soul" in that. And that's irritating me, and even making me sorry, 'cause I believe that if you're such a talented musician you should put your talent in making music, not in making covers where you wanna just play all the crazy stuff you're able to.

I enjoy these guys, but the sound gets tiring over time - all the music is done in the same style and I feel like Im riding in an elevator.

F

The term "tight as a bugs ass" comes to mind. Ultra precise high level musicianship combined with soul. It's almost too good. A little looseness wouldn't hurt them.

Totally agree, the musicianship's outstanding, the covers are interesting and so well executed , but I would like to hear something a bit more organic, more raw and less shiny and "in yo face" vibe, they certainely have a huge potential, and providing they could come with their own inspired written material, they could be huge :)

I enjoy these guys, but the sound gets tiring over time - all the music is done in the same style and I feel like Im riding in an elevator.

F

I agree. That style and sounds does get tiring.
Good players , but it might help to do originals instead of different arrangements of not so good songs to begin with.
I'd rather listen to Jamiroquai.

I agree, Almost too perfect and too full, like what you expect to hear from university schooled musicians that are playing covers in a band on a talk show or something like that. Technically perfect and the chops and scales played right out of a book as if it was programmed into a machine but lacking the feel and or personality that adds character to music and or makes it musical.

The thing is, all these players are young. With 20 years of seasoning and maturity...they already are a force to be reckoned with. That singer is off the charts. I tell ya, it's tough. You get to be that good and it still isn't enough for some lolo. Those people have my respect to be at that level at that age. I think they have to engineer in some imperfection on purpose lol because I'm not sure they are capable of playing anything less than amazing lol

Right from my first post on this I said they'd benefit from a guitarist & some grit. I'm sticking to that. I took their age into account too, so I'd expect a journey influenced injection of bollocks & feel as a matter of organic growth. One thing I can't agree on, is the perception of a lack of musicality from the bass player. I love his feel, his interpretation, his deep groove. Nothing sterile about him whatsoever IMO. Like Joe, I'd hire him in a heartbeat. Hell, he can hire me (ok, that's a stretch, lol)

Anyhow, I'm off to do a spot of studio rehearsal this evening. I'll just be bashing out my usual crap with the band, & being very happy about it too :)

I threw up this post just to see the reaction of people. I have nothing to gain from it I'm not in the band. So all opinions are welcome. Before I left for the studio today I checked the post real quick this morning and was so surprised that some of you didn't like the band. I was like whow!! how can you not dig or at least respect this. Then I turned on some "pro" players onto it today. Sure enough my keyboard player dosen't like it either. My bass player likes it and so did most of the engineers but for sure their were a few people that just don't dig it. Just goes to show you YA NEVER KNOW!!

The lack of guitar player was mentioned by of course "the guitar players in the studio". lol, but I like the fact their is no guitar player. It makes the groove deeper man, the space is there between the drummer and bass player. When you listen to them don't listen to what they are playing, listen to what their not playing. That's what makes it special, thats what makes the hits they do so much cooler without a guitar player mudding it up. Plus it grooves so hard.

Anyone who said anything bad about the bass player flat out i'm sorry and I know this is rude but your an idiot. LOL!! Sorry. its been a long day. The bass player is awesome in every facet I would want a bass player to be. The kids got it all, hes got pocket and knows how to groove and when to play simple, he picks his spots when to slap and his fingering via Jaco is perfect. Hes' musical and he grooves hard. Plus he makes it look effortless. So there you have my take on the band I have noting to do with. I just was impressed by it. Thats it. I respect all opinions and appreciate all the input on this thread. I was very surprised that some people don't like it. Even my fellow musicians. lol. So I learned a few things along the way too.

Great players, no question about it. But I'm sorry - I'll take the original any day. That's like hearing Vinnie Colaiuta subbing for Ringo and subbing in a virtuoso for every other Beatle for good measure.

I'll be impressed if their songwriting skills are even half what their playing skills are.

its exactly the opposite of the things i like in music. clearly they are ridiculously talented dudes. no question. but to me there wasn't an ounce of soul in there. the only thing that was coming across to me was "check out all these slick licks i know!!!!!! IM RAD!!!" no thanks.

[...] I respect all opinions and appreciate all the input on this thread. I was very surprised that some people don't like it. Even my fellow musicians. lol. So I learned a few things along the way too.

What's strange in people not licking them? :)
If everyone should like a band just because of their skill, that would be a boring world...
I undestand how someone like to hear people showing chops and playing at their best, but my taste makes me like people that have something more to say on the "musical" side. ;)

Very talented players no doubt.

But musically, I can't get through 1/2 of any of their tunes before I want to turn it off. Not my cup of tea at all. Talent was off the charts, but it came off rather bland to me.

Back