Tyger's Saturns

Tyger

Man...I was posting a thread just like this almost a year ago saying how much I loved my Sonor 3007's! hahahaha.

Well, almost a similar story here, I was in the hunt for a 16" Floor Tom for my 3007's when I came across a Mapex Saturn in Cherry red sparkle, 10, 12, 14, 14.5, 22. They were in immaculate condition and the price was VERy good.

I've been looking at Gretsch Renowns mostly, but the last month have been checking out the Saturns and I liked what I heard and saw so when this deal came about, I just had to take advantage.

I must admit, I'm not normally a sparkle finish type of guy but seeing it in person rid me of all previous stereo types and opinions. I love it now and I can't stop looking at it :)
These kits are hard to come buy on the used market let alone such a good price, I'm glad I took the opportunity to get them....Very happy with the Saturns.

Enjoy the pics! (it is a 5pc kit but I took photos of only the 4pc, it's just the vibe I'm going with now which wil change later on I'm sure!)

msat--004.jpg

msat--006.jpg

msat--007.jpg

msat--009.jpg

msat--012.jpg

msat--013.jpg

My model Luna! hahahaha, she was just passing by...loves the camera...hehehe
msat--015.jpg

msat--016.jpg

That is one nice kit! Mapex rocks! Peace and goodwill.

Gorgeous kit! Looks great.

Cute pup too. Maltipoo?

That's a great looking kit. Luna looks like she likes them.

Thanks everyone, really love these drums! Still experimenting with some head combos though.

Luna is a Maltese Shih tzu and yes she loves the drums too, so much that she peed right in front of the kick when I set them up. Pretty sure it was a sign of submission :)

Very nice kit!!! Congrats, I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks!!!

Great looking kit. I've got a set but in the dark cherry; only drum I'm still tweaking is the snare. What head choices have you used; how do the wooden rims sound versus the standard ones?

Very nice, probably the best color Mapex Makes. Bass drum looks like you could eat it : )

Wicked setup! Also the quality of the pictures are quite nice! I enjoy looking at art rather than just cell phone pics of what may or may not be a drumset (I'm very guilty of this).
I personally don't understand the trend with the 10" & 16" setup though. Just seems like waaay too much of a gap... Any reason behind going with that?

What are you using for cymbals? I see a Sand Ride (or possibly crash) and some other delicious pies.... please share!

-Jonathan

Wicked setup! Also the quality of the pictures are quite nice! I enjoy looking at art rather than just cell phone pics of what may or may not be a drumset (I'm very guilty of this).
I personally don't understand the trend with the 10" & 16" setup though. Just seems like waaay too much of a gap... Any reason behind going with that?

What are you using for cymbals? I see a Sand Ride (or possibly crash) and some other delicious pies.... please share!

-Jonathan

Thanks for the kind words! Actually I'm playing a 10 and 14" but recently went back to a 2 up 1 down set up, 10, 12, 14. Hoping to get a 16" FT eventually.

As for the cymbals, 20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Vintage Sand Thin Crash and 14" Byzance Dark Hats.
I'm hoping to add more of the Sand series in the future.

Hey I recognize that gorgeous kit. You have a different handle over here. Congrats again!

Hey dude great to see ya here as well! Yeah I'm all over the place :)

Very nice kit!!! Congrats, I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks!!!

Indeed it does, really loving the sound the walnut gives

Great looking kit. I've got a set but in the dark cherry; only drum I'm still tweaking is the snare. What head choices have you used; how do the wooden rims sound versus the standard ones?

Nice! would love to see it...did you post pics here? I actually just changed my heads to Clear Emperors over ambassadors, I wanted to try some clear heads and I really like what I'm hearing. I'm tempted to try Aquarian Response 2's though. I first tried coated Super 2's, really liked the warm tone, but I've been wanting to try a different sound this time around.

As for the wood rim, it gives it more of warm tone, but I'm putting on the steel rim today to see how big of a difference it'll make.

Very nice. And I enjoy your skills in photo-taking.

Thanks Larry, photography is my other expensive hobby! hahaha

Very nice, probably the best color Mapex Makes. Bass drum looks like you could eat it : )

They do make great finishes, very happy with this kit!

Thanks again guys, I kow I keep saying it but I'm really loving this kit, I'm sure I'll be playing it for a long time.

Thanks for the kind words! Actually I'm playing a 10 and 14" but recently went back to a 2 up 1 down set up, 10, 12, 14. Hoping to get a 16" FT eventually.

As for the cymbals, 20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Vintage Sand Thin Crash and 14" Byzance Dark Hats.
I'm hoping to add more of the Sand series in the future.

10,12,14? That's an interesting combination, especially when paired with a 22" BD.

I look forward to the new pics!

-Jonathan

Luna is a Maltese Shih tzu and yes she loves the drums too, so much that she peed right in front of the kick when I set them up. Pretty sure it was a sign of submission :)

My old roommate`s cat pissed on my stick bag once. That was just pure spite.

Back