MOELLER METHOD

Re: Moeller excercises

Jim Chapin´s video has moeller exercises. Most of the dvd is about the moeller ;)
I have it and it´s really cool :), very useful exercises

I really good thing I saw (I think Billy Ward not sure) do was play what looked like a 3 stroke technique, but 1 hand on each tom going donwards. then you do the same thing with the left hand, and thats how you (he) gets a blazing tom roll from top to bottom. havent quite Mastered it yet, but its a hella good idea!

Re: Moeller Method Exclusively (condensed version)

Although the method is best learnt "one on one"...here's a basic intro:

Would you mind expounding on "flyback", technically?

Thanks for the input.

S.

Well, for fast jazz, good double strokes can never be practiced enough. I think Derrick Pope has a good video on applying the moeller. Other than that, you really need to use the search button.

Been there, done that, looking for more. Derrick is the closest thing I found to free information on how to apply the moeller, and that's stuff I already know how to do.

In any case, it doesn't matter. I've already brewed over a list of excercises that could help me achieve ultimate moeller independence. Maybe I should post them in a different thread, so you have a better idea of what I'm going for. :)

then you do the same thing with the left hand, and thats how you (he) gets a blazing tom roll from top to bottom. havent quite Mastered it yet, but its a hella good idea!

I can do that with alternating hands, just not with the moellers placed together as single strokes. But yeah, it is quite a useful idea.

Would you mind expounding on "flyback", technically?

Thanks for the input.

S.

Ok..finally, "flyback" defined. Simply put: avoid locking your wrists & allow the drum sticks to move "freely" within your hands during all Moeller movements. (up strokes, down strokes & taps).

Does anyone have any specific excercises that help build technique and coordination for the moeller technique? I've managed to develop the basic motion with both hands seperately for adding in extra ghost notes, but I'm having a really hard time developing the independence to incorportate it into more advanced applications, like holding the fast 3-note ride pattern while improvising the left hand (ex. fast jazz).

If anyone has tips on taking this technique to the next level, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! :)

Have you tried the exercise page posted in this forum under: "Drum Technique", entitled: Moeller Method Exclusively (Condensed Edition)?

Hey, I found a DVD on it here at www.moellermethod.com. Was wondering if any of you got this dvd, and if its any good?

Stay clear of Jared Falk's products! It's just aggressively marketed and overpriced information which is available for free right here in Drummerworld. Just check out Derrick's videos and work on it yourself. And get a teacher; it's far cheaper and more effective than any DVD.

Hey Jacob are you good at Moeller with matched grip? I wanna see it.

Honestly, I've been playing, professionally, both matched and traditional grips for over 20 yrs. My opinion is that it doesn't matter whether you play matched or traditional...you're either a good drummer or the opposite of a good drummer. To answer your question succinctly., I'm equally as proficient. at both approaches...You can check some of my videos on my site emphasising the "open-hand" (matched grip) approach. There are a couple; one doing a Dave Garibaldi pattern, a Gary Chester pattern, an improvised "feel" thing...

Do you have any videos to view?

all the best

I truely thank all those who have posted a response, whether it be positive or otherwise. A further point, I have no intentions of deleting any responses (critical or otherwise)...Learning, for my part, is done at many levels using many approaches.

This attachment offers some "capsulized" ideas for putting both hands together. Once, you are comfortable with each hand, independently...

Enjoy & thank you all again...

Attachments

• Moeller two-handed.jpg
    Moeller two-handed.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,973
Last edited:

Ok try this on for size? (not exactly moeller... more independence related)

Using the same sticking for the paradiddle-diddle, but phraseing it in a "five note" motif...and playing it in four...of course once it's solid on the Snare then we can move our, for instance, left hand around the kit creating melodic effect.

Attachments

• para_000[1].jpg
    para_000[1].jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 928
  • clave1_000[1].jpg
    clave1_000[1].jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 996
  • clave2_000[1].jpg
    clave2_000[1].jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 991
  • clave3_000[1].jpg
    clave3_000[1].jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 987

Am not going to lie, your one of my favorite members Jacob. Greatplaying
P.S Ive been posting your vids around diff. forums...to say the very least, am not the only one who enjoys your vids.

Btw where do you teach? Because I am going to move in 3 years to PIT (Cali) or Drummers Collective (NY) and sadly I would have to change drum teacher and if your close to one of those two I wouldnt mind getting drum lessons

Hello meandhimcallitus.

Thank you for your compliments and insights on the videos... and related to teaching: I work toward the goal of teaching one weekend in N.Y. per month. (Teaching the remainder of the month in Montreal) When this becomes consistently successful I'll "adapt and overcome" to longer periods of time in N.Y. I hope this is of benefit and addresses your question regarding instruction.

All the best,

Hard to get rid of rest in Moeller Tech.

I can do the Moeller Tech. with the rest it's perfect but when I try it without the rest I can't get it down. The stick just bounces faster when I try to move my wrist faster to make another hit.

Anything I can do to get rid of the rest? I've tried relaxing my fingers but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Re: Hard to get rid of rest in Moeller Tech.

The way i over came the rest was to slow it WAY down
I looked at the hand mechanics. Once the hand makes the whip and initial impact, it immediately starts moving for another impact WHILE the rebounds are happening.
So to develope this I actually made the 3 strokes intentional hand strokes, meaning it was 3 strokes not 1 stroke and 2 rebounds, and while i was making these 3 strokes i did it while moving my hands in the correct action.
Then once i got the feel of the hand motion, i just simply made the initial whip and made the same hand motion and let the 2 other rebounds happen.

Steve Smith's dvd showed him doing this and it really helped me, also Jacob Kaye's site and vids helped, also Derrick Pope's. I use Derrick's practice routine of drilling each hand seperate, then together, I also added alternating.

Let me say I haven't been playing very long at all (less than a yr), and i can't do moellers fast, but this is how i broke down the problem of getting rid of that rest. I also do my drilling with a met, so my spacing sounds correct.

Drumming is a very physical pursuit, you are learning to move your body in certain ways, learning body mechanics and body/limb coordination, look at pattern problems this way and for me it's easier to find solutions.

When You say 'rest' I'm assuming you mean you're using the moeller technique to play triplets and you can't do it without a rest between each triplet?

First, let me digress for a second. Moeller technique isn't triplets, it's the way you move your arm -a.k.a. the technique you use- to hit a drum. You can play singles (not talking about a single stroke roll here), doubles, triplets, rudiments -really, any sticking pattern with Moeller technique as long as there are accented strokes.

So, here's the thing. There are several interpretations of Moeller technique. If you watch Derrick Pope apply it, then watch Jim Chapin, then watch Dom Famularo, then watch Steve Smith or any of the others who use it and you'll see they all do it a little differently. But, the thing they all have in common is some sort of whipping motion. They may produce it in different ways, but that whipping motion is what you need to concentrate on in order to loose the 'rest' in between the triplets. Remember this -you said you tried altering your grip and loosening your fingers -but you need to zoom back the camera -the whipping motion involves your arm -all the way up to the shoulder in the method I was taught. An analogy that helps for all interpretations of moeller technique (at least, it helped me) is to think of your arm as a piece of rope. Now, think about whipping several waves through the rope. It's continuous and, if one end of the rope is your stick, notice that, as your stick is descending to strike the drum the other end of the rope is being lifted to form the next wave. Keep this image in your mind and try to recreate that flowing motion so that, as the stick is striking the drum, your arm is rising to form the beginning of the next wave -so, don't think of it like a series of movements, but one continuous flowing motion.

Spw's advice is pretty much right on. Also try exaggerating the whipping to the point of ridiculousness at first.

Seeing a teacher who knows this technique is best -hopefully this is helpful and not just confusing.

I used to have the same problem when I was learning the moeller by Derrick Pope's video.
The key is to mentaly tell yourself to "cut" the "rest" while practsing the moeller.

Back