Kick Port

There are at least a few YouTube video demonstrations on the kickport...it does make a noticeable difference in sound...I have them on my two A-kits and like them...

I have one on my Pearl export 22" kick drum. I gatta say, I noticed more volume and low frequency thump right away. Nothing over the top, but definitely a noticeable difference. I would recommend it to any that uses a ported reson head.

I have one on my Gretsch Renown 22 x 18 and for my money, 39.00 USD, it makes my bass drum sound louder and lower without changing any other settings.

The Kick Port can be useful in extending some frequencies otherwise lacking in some drums or tuning choices. It can also over extend frequencies already present in sufficient balance without it, so it's a personal choice thing, just like head selection, depth, diameter, etc. It's not a "cure all", & nor is any other extra you can buy, but it is a valid solution choice.

I find the Kick Port interesting, because it goes some way towards demonstrating how a shell affects sound. A drum shell's shape & resonance profile has a profound affect on resultant sound, despite what the naysayers preach. I often use the analogy of a speaker. The cone of the speaker being the heads, & the cabinet of the speaker being the shell. Some reflex (forward facing/open fronted) bass speaker enclosures use a port or ports similar to the Kick Port. I won't go into the science, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear the Kick Port design was lifted from speaker cabinet designs. Funny, how the same people that claim a drum shell's resonance has little do do with shaping the resultant sound, wouldn't claim the same applies to a speaker enclosure.

. also in the studio you can notice unless the hole is super tight (and i mean tigher than the templet size hole that is provided with the actual kickport) it rattles a little bit with each kick.... .

I had this very issue.

Back