How do you stabilize a virgin bass drum that jumps up and down?

Road Bull

Silver Member
Hey all,

Just had a chance today to play my new Ludwig Maple Classic tonight at practice. It sounds awesome!

However, I have noticed that my bass drum, a 26"x14" hops up and down quite a bit. I always play on a rug. I have one of those "home depot' Persian-style rugs. I am playing at my guitarist's house and the practice room has carpet as well. I have always had bass drums with mounted toms, so I have not come across this before. When I play, the bass batter side seems to jump up and down. I can't say that it is moving very far, if ANY distance forward. I have it set up near the edge of my rug. However, my DW 9002 bass pedal came off twice during practice.

I was thinking that maybe I didn't crank it down enough. But when I reattached it, it did it again. I would say that perhaps with the bass drum going up and down, the hoop is slowing working it's way clear of the bass drum clamp. After enough of this, it is totally clear of the hoop and not connected at all. Hrrrm?

Have any of you come across this, and what do you do to combat it?

I was thinking to start out by buying some skateboard-style grip tame to place on the inside of the bass drum hoop. Then, I was going to cut a small section of 2"x4" to wrap in some soft material, and bolt to the front of my drum carpet. I don't want to have to worry about the two separating during a show, or ever on their own for that matter. I almost feel like I need a sand bag to put on the back of my bass drum.

On a side note, I just got back from the Big Business show where their drummer, Cody Willis, had a drum carpet that was the thin commercial door mat style with some hardware added. He added some sort of metal slots that were bolted, like I am talking about, but positioned to hold the bass spurs instead of barricading the front of the bass drum hoop. It was funny, it looked like it was just duct-tape, (100mph tape for you military folks), from afar. But no, it was metal hardware. But he also had a mounted tom to help add more weight. So no jumping for his bass drum.

So what works for you, and what would you suggest?

I would firstly say it sounds like you are not used to a virgin kick and you will sort it out. But i will add a sandbag for a big kick drum is a good idea, also maybe raise the reso side a bit to help bite down on the batter hoop, and add something to the batter hoop for your bass pedal to grab hold of. i use a piece of felt..

I would firstly say it sounds like you are not used to a virgin kick and you will sort it out. But i will add a sandbag for a big kick drum is a good idea, also maybe raise the reso side a bit to help bite down on the batter hoop, and add something to the batter hoop for your bass pedal to grab hold of. i use a piece of felt..

Yep, this is the first virgin bass I have owned. And the first 26"x14" as well. It sounds great! I am sure I will come around with a little trial and error, but I figure I will try to come up with something to keep my bass and pedal together.Sure I think a sandbag in front would work too, but I figure an anchored 2x4 would do the same and not be as heavy to cart around. I see versions of this on "drum carpets" Many seem to have some sort of anchoring device in front of the bass drum. I am not sure that it would completely address the bouncing issue, but it would guarantee that the bass would not move forward.

I used to play on some old Ludwig 22 x 14 and 20 x 14 bass drums. I would take some wire hangers and bend them so that they hooked on my thrown and the bass drum lug rods. I used to carry the "custom made" wire hangers where ever I went.

Now a days, I do not want to scratch my bass drum finish with wire hangers, so I purchased some long nylon tie wraps, and I string a few together and tie down my kit to the thrown and to itself. I have some straps going from the bass drum to the thrown and a few between the double bass slave pedal, the hi-hat, and the snare. I tie everything down and then I do not have a problem with things walking on me.

By the way, if your going to use they nylon tie wraps, be sure to take with you to the gig, something to cut them after your finished.

I play on a virgin 26 inch centennial. The strange thing I see mine doing is the top of the bass drum sways away from me during hits. also my Altlas Pro pedal will swing to the side at times, I tighten the crap out of it but im also afraid of breaking the wood hoop. Any pics of the new kit yet, I may have missed the post.

2 things could be causing your problem:

1) The Persian style rug: I use thin speaker cabinet type carpet on my riser. It allows the kick drum spikes to easily do their job. Sometimes those Persian rugs can be to thick so as to make anchoring a bit harder.

2) the spikes on your pedal. If the above is true you may have your pedal spikes extended so much that it raises the rear of the pedal causing it to give out on itself once you start playing

Just a couple of thoughts. Like I said. I'd ditch the oriental rug and get cheap industrial thin carpet.

2 things could be causing your problem:

1) The Persian style rug: I use thin speaker cabinet type carpet on my riser. It allows the kick drum spikes to easily do their job. Sometimes those Persian rugs can be to thick so as to make anchoring a bit harder.

2) the spikes on your pedal. If the above is true you may have your pedal spikes extended so much that it raises the rear of the pedal causing it to give out on itself once you start playing

Just a couple of thoughts. Like I said. I'd ditch the oriental rug and get cheap industrial thin carpet.
This!!!

I've never had an issue with a virgin bass drum, & I mean bass drums that are way lighter than most. No pillow or other muffling weight either. A thick carpet is a nightmare in terms of stability. Get that sorted first, then ensure correct levelling of the bass drum and alignment of the pedal. Get that sorted, & there's absolutely no need for additional securing or anchorage.

Make sure your bass drum spurs are all the way out and are biting into the carpet. You might want to try one of these that attach to the front bd hoop:

Gibraltar Bass Drum Anchor
sc_4402.jpg

Last edited:
Yes as suggested your rug plus the carpet in the room may be too thick.

Also make sure the reso end of the bass drum is no more or less than 1 to 1.5 inches above the floor. And do check the pedal spikes.

Thanks for the advice all. I am trying to be a good guest by protecting my friend's carpet by always using my drum rug.

So I will try some of the adjustments mentioned. But I might also look into going with a thin , commercial style carpet with rubber backing for a replacement rug.

Also be careful not to ruin your bass drum hoop by over tightening your pedal. I always put a couple of strips of velcro (the kind with the self adhesive) on the hoop. It prevents pedal rash and gives your pedal something to grip on to. Set your bass drum up with the pedal on it and adjust the spurs to make sure everything is setting the way it is supposed to. The front of the drum should be slightly elevated. John

A virgin drum on a persian rug that jumps up and down ? !!

Err doesnt sound like its going to stay a virgin for very long !! ( boom boom)

1310979250765.jpg

My virgin jumps all around. It doesn't move forward...or sideways, it just reacts when I hit it. As long as it's not moving away from you, it shouldn't be a problem. You said yourself that it isn't moving very far, if ANY distance forward. Virgins jump. I think it looks cool.

It sounds to me as if the pedal is not in the middle of the batter hoop and/or the legs are not out the same distance. Re-fit the pedal and check to see if the drum is level. My front hoop is the same height off of the floor as the pedal makes the rear hoop. Then I put the legs on the floor and it stays flat

I use a cheap Home Depot carpet, that the velcro (on the bottom of my pedal) grabs. Almost have to tear the pedal off the carpet. I think it's mostly a carpet issue. Too thick (being 3 ply) and too slick. I currently have two 26x14's (Ludwig and Gretsch) and have had two others before ( 26x14 and 26x16 Ludwigs). And I always run 'em without mounted toms, virgin or not. Never had any hop. I think it's a carpet issue.​

Yes as suggested your rug plus the carpet in the room may be too thick.

Most definitely this.

The pile on your rug is too deep, nothing wrong with the drum and spikes/anchors aren't the fix.

Every time you step on the kick pedal the rug depresses, the bass drum and pedal bottom out the extra pile of rug, that's your bounce. This can also happen on short pile rugs with lots of padding underneath em.

As has been suggested already;

Find a flat hard floor, ie. garage floor.
Retract the beater spikes.
Clamp down the beater securely on the bass drum hoop.
Adjust the front spurs so that the beater is laying flat on the floor. This should be where the front of the base drum is slightly off of the floor.

Note: When my DW9000 beater is attached to my bass drum the bass drum hoop (and bass drum) is sitting at a slight angle such that the reso end of the bass drum wants to be slightly off the ground.

Now you are set. When on a carpet or pad you can extend the beater spikes.
This is the best adjustment you are going to get.

Hmmmm I have a 14x26 and a 16x26 and never had an issue. My roommates 16x26 with curved spurs sits like a rock.

I keep my front hoop raised about an inch off the floor. Perhaps yours is too flat or raised too much?

Back