DW Maple/Mahogany Collectors shells.

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hi was wondering if anyone has played the new maple/mahogany shells by DW, I've been toying with the idea of a new kit here soon, and from what I've heard online I really like them. The ones in the Candyland video IMO are the best of the bunch. I have also talked to some other companies, some great service, some not so great service. DW happens to be one of the great service so I'm really leaning this direction now. But really am curious about these shells. Any owners out there that can give me some insight.
Thanks for your time.

I heard those drums on the same video and was really impressed!!! Hope you hear from someone on here that has got to play them. Good luck. John

I played the kit that was on the DW tour last Summer. GREAT sounding drums - I much prefer them to the standard Collector's Series (which are nice sounding drums). Fat, punchy and they sounded great at any volume level. Also, the natural Mahogany finish is beautiful.

AWESOME sounding drums. There's a green glass bop kit (14x18, 14x14, 8x12, 6x14) at Boston Drum Center that i've played with and tuned various ways. Very warm sounding drums. Almost got those instead of the Brooklyns but decided to not have multiple kits of one brand anymore.

Its about time DW solved the problem of their drums not having enough low end. Ive heard many of those sets online and yes they sound awesome now but who can afford them? Have you seen the prices? I thought mahogany was a cheaper entry level wood.

Its about time DW solved the problem of their drums not having enough low end. Ive heard many of those sets online and yes they sound awesome now but who can afford them? Have you seen the prices? I thought mahogany was a cheaper entry level wood.

Most people complain about DW's having too much low end!
They are priced in line with other top end sets. Compared to Yamaha PHX and Sonor SQ2's, they are less expensive.
They use African Mahogany, not the "cheap" Philippine variety.

Most people complain about DW's having too much low end!
They are priced in line with other top end sets. Compared to Yamaha PHX and Sonor SQ2's, they are less expensive.
They use African Mahogany, not the "cheap" Philippine variety.

JB hit the nail right on the head here. DW are designed for that loose tuning to give you that big fat low end sound.

Hi was wondering if anyone has played the new maple/mahogany shells by DW, I've been toying with the idea of a new kit here soon, and from what I've heard online I really like them. The ones in the Candyland video IMO are the best of the bunch. I have also talked to some other companies, some great service, some not so great service. DW happens to be one of the great service so I'm really leaning this direction now. But really am curious about these shells. Any owners out there that can give me some insight.
Thanks for your time.

My friend Tony Braunagel has a kit 10" 12" 14" 16" 23"(!?) kick.

Fat, warm, tubby sounding drums. Damn, they just sound....creamy!

Here's my kid and Tony playing on them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQbnyGDD_hE

That's just iPhone video/audio. Under real mics they probably just kill.

I just sold my DW Collectors (which I bought 5 months ago) because I can't tune them high and if I do they sound awful, they only sound decent when they are very low. I opted for the USA custom kit, I played on one recently and that was all I needed, thats my dream kit.

cheers

I have a set of M/M Collectors and had a small 14x18" bass drum built to match the kit I bought. They're quite versatile and can be tuned all over the place; I keep just a 4 piece out for playing on (the other drums are in storage) and they're tuned quite high with Remo Skytone heads. I found the Skyntone heads REALLY make the drums sound warm (went through Evans G1, G2 [coated and uncoated]) and J1 heads; Remo Fiberskyn and Ambassador coated; and finally ended up with Skytones).

The Peter Erskine video demo'ing the M/M set is very accurate, IMHO, for the sound the drums have when tuned a bit high and wide open.

Back