Mid/Pro level kits?

Drummer637

Hi there everyone, not been on the forum in AGES!!

Anyways, I have a question for you. I currently own a Tama Superstar 5pc Fusion kit. See what it looks and sounds like here http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatSleepyMusician?feature=mhee It's a great kit, and for £550 at the time it sounds great too. (yes I know I need to tune it/new heads)

I have had the kit about 3 years, so it's early days yet to be thinking of upgrading. But I have been thinking ahead....

I've been looking at kits like the Gretsch New Classics, Mapex Orion, Yamaha Tour Customs etc. What are your thoughts on these kits? Or advice on any others? Thanks, just looking for other opinions. Kits that are great for jazz/funk, but are versatile for things like rock and pop.

Niall.

P.S: Thoughts on Istanbul cymbals as well? They seem great and relatively cheaper to the likes of Sabian and Zildjian.

Just to suggest another kit to look at if you wish...DW Performance Series.

+1 on DW Performance.
Ludwig Centennial, Sonor 3007 are two other kits I have played and sound great.
The stock Ludwig Centennial snare is a real nice sounding drum too, which is a big plus.

Mapex Saturn. Great sounding kit. Great price.

The only problem with that kit though is that it's Mapex, and a Saturn.

Other than that, they're all right....just get a short bass drum.

Forget that last part, get at least the 20 and it might sound on the OK side.

The only problem with that kit though is that it's Mapex, and a Saturn.

Other than that, they're all right....just get a short bass drum.

Forget that last part, get at least the 20 and it might sound on the OK side.
That is so hurtful. :( sniff, sniff. I think I will go hug my drums now.

Hi there everyone, not been on the forum in AGES!!

Anyways, I have a question for you. I currently own a Tama Superstar 5pc Fusion kit. See what it looks and sounds like here http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatSleepyMusician?feature=mhee It's a great kit, and for £550 at the time it sounds great too. (yes I know I need to tune it/new heads)

I have had the kit about 3 years, so it's early days yet to be thinking of upgrading. But I have been thinking ahead....

I've been looking at kits like the Gretsch New Classics, Mapex Orion, Yamaha Tour Customs etc. What are your thoughts on these kits? Or advice on any others? Thanks, just looking for other opinions. Kits that are great for jazz/funk, but are versatile for things like rock and pop.

Niall.

P.S: Thoughts on Istanbul cymbals as well? They seem great and relatively cheaper to the likes of Sabian and Zildjian.
Hi Niall, I take it you're in the UK? What's your budget? Depending, I can come up with some interesting (&IMO, better) alternatives to the mainstream. If you're thinking in terms of Istanbul cymbals, you might wish to consider Amedia as a super high quality yet competitively priced option. As for kits, let me know what your budget is.

Are you going to the London Drum show in a little over 2 weeks time? A great drummy day out, & you can try some very interesting stuff.

Hi Niall, I take it you're in the UK? What's your budget? Depending, I can come up with some interesting (&IMO, better) alternatives to the mainstream. If you're thinking in terms of Istanbul cymbals, you might wish to consider Amedia as a super high quality yet competitively priced option. As for kits, let me know what your budget is.

Are you going to the London Drum show in a little over 2 weeks time? A great drummy day out, & you can try some very interesting stuff.

Hi there. Yes, up in the land o' the Scots!
Max possibly £1200 or there about. I'd love to hear about your suggestions, I only listed those drums to give an idea as to what I was looking at. I've not heard of Amedia, I'll check them out!

I'm considering it, unsure whether I'm free, thanks for reminding me though, I might see you there!

Of your choices I'd probably go with the Gretsch. But that would be more of an aesthetic choice since I haven't tried the others. I'm just dying to get a high end Gretsch. At least a Renown Maple which is another great option you might consider.

Hi there. Yes, up in the land o' the Scots!
Max possibly £1200 or there about. I'd love to hear about your suggestions, I only listed those drums to give an idea as to what I was looking at. I've not heard of Amedia, I'll check them out!

I'm considering it, unsure whether I'm free, thanks for reminding me though, I might see you there!
For that budget, you may wish to consider Highwood Drums. They craft their own shells, the quality is way beyond the mass market stuff at similar price levels, it's hand made in the UK & you get the sizes & finishes you want.

P. S. You can hear a bunch of Amedia sample clips on my youtube channel, & my video of the Guru prototype kit features a natural recording of a matched set of Dervish series cymbals. There are much more jazz/world focussed cymbal series in their range, but I'm just a basic rock guy with an ear for sound.

Maybe see you in London. I know Highwood are exhibiting, but come & say hello on the Guru Drumworks stand anyhow.

Here's an alternative. Keep the kit, its only 3 years old. New heads will do wonders. Then get a really nice snare and more cymbals. Snares are the most played drum in a kit, and getting more cymbals gives you more colors to work with.

Here's an alternative. Keep the kit, its only 3 years old. New heads will do wonders. Then get a really nice snare and more cymbals. Snares are the most played drum in a kit, and getting more cymbals gives you more colors to work with.

I agree, expanding your cymbal palette will do more to help you find your sound than upgrading the toms/kick. These days, the low-to-mid level kits are *so* much better than they were 20 years ago. Your kit sounds really good in your video, even with just a couple of inexpensive room mics, so it's obvious that you have selected heads that work well with your drums and you have tuned them well. Your snare sounds pretty good, too, so with your £1200 I would focus on finding the right cymbals for the styles that you want to play (that K ride sounds nice, it's a keeper in my opinion!). You might also add in a kick mic (and move your kick away from the wall a bit to let it sing!).

To go back to your original post, the Yamaha and Gretsch kits are excellent mid level kits and both sound great. I would second the Gretsch Renown suggestion that drumdevil9 made. The New Classics are nice, but I'm not sure the price difference over the Renowns is really worth it. They have a few more finish choices and the mounts are (IMHO) better, but they are a few hundred $ (US) more. The Renowns already use like 90% of the same parts that the USA Customs do, so I think they are the best value overall. The Mapex Orion line is their high-end line, so those are probably well out of your £1200 price range, the Saturns are probably more in line with the rest of your options.

I agree, expanding your cymbal palette will do more to help you find your sound than upgrading the toms/kick. These days, the low-to-mid level kits are *so* much better than they were 20 years ago. Your kit sounds really good in your video, even with just a couple of inexpensive room mics, so it's obvious that you have selected heads that work well with your drums and you have tuned them well. Your snare sounds pretty good, too, so with your £1200 I would focus on finding the right cymbals for the styles that you want to play (that K ride sounds nice, it's a keeper in my opinion!). You might also add in a kick mic (and move your kick away from the wall a bit to let it sing!).

To go back to your original post, the Yamaha and Gretsch kits are excellent mid level kits and both sound great. I would second the Gretsch Renown suggestion that drumdevil9 made. The New Classics are nice, but I'm not sure the price difference over the Renowns is really worth it. They have a few more finish choices and the mounts are (IMHO) better, but they are a few hundred $ (US) more. The Renowns already use like 90% of the same parts that the USA Customs do, so I think they are the best value overall. The Mapex Orion line is their high-end line, so those are probably well out of your £1200 price range, the Saturns are probably more in line with the rest of your options.

Reply to BradGunnerSGT and makinao;
I totally agree, I wish to do as you suggested, as my kit is fine at the moment, and I have no intention of upgrading relatively soon. I was looking for the opinions of other drummers (drums is my main instrument, but I play piano guitar sax and violin, so I don't get to hang around kits as much as I'd like) to see what's the best bang for my buck. And it seems I've got it! I can always rely on this forum to give me helpful advice from fellow drummers. Aside from those mentioned, what other cymbals would you suggest for my style? I'm mostly jazz/funk, with a bit of rock, and some latin. So versatility is kinda my thing.

Back