Guitarist comment on drummers

I am only capable of doing drums how I want to do them. Just because I state preferences, doesn't mean I want every drummer to be that way, just me. I'm not knowledgeable about how others want to do drums. I'm still trying to figure out this whole thing too. It's hard enough to put into words what I want to do. I don't have the smarts to consider everyone else's approach. I don't have that capability. I only have only one clear angle of view on the issue, my own.

So drumming can be anything anybody wants. I stated my own personal preferences, Mike stated his personal preferences, and so on. None is better or more valid, except to the individual. I am so not one to force my views on others. At least I'm taking a stand and putting it out there to be discussed, disagreed with, agreed with, or laughed at. Whatever, either way I take no offense if I am disagreed with, it's just my personal opinion that I've found to be true for me.

Not looking for validation. I like when people state their opinions, conflicting ones welcome. They are the ones that you learn the most from. There will never be universal agreement, and for that I'm thankful.

Last edited:
"I'm not exactly sure about what you mean by forcing things, but I'll assume you mean square pegs in round holes. That much we can agree on, but this reads more like, "leave your own ideas at the door.""

I did not get this from the post. I get that you play musically, not to show off your chops for your own ego stroke. Consider much of Buddy rich's body of work. If that were done to 50s pop it would not fit the music.

Mike we generally approach drumming from an opposite angle to one another, so there's not much to agree on ...
Respectfully disagree, Larry! Haha! I'm gonna make it my mission to troll your every post and point out all the major areas where we DO agree! That'll git yer goat! Woot! Just kiddin'.

I think our differences have more to do with our chosen genres and giving them what they need. If I tended toward the blues genre, I think you might be be surprised how similarly we played.

I sat in with a band two weeks ago at an open mic where the drummer was an old friend of mine from 30 years ago, and I played it very straight and stuck to the script. I was only going going to play one or two songs (rock standards) and ended up playing closer to ten. I had a blast and got nothing but smiles from the other band members. Wish I had a video of me playing Simple Man where I played even *less* than the original version (took the hats completely out of the verses to make even more space).

I think our differences have more to do with our chosen genres and giving them what they need. If I tended toward the blues genre, I think you might be be surprised how similarly we played.

This I can get on board with. It reminds me of a conversation years ago with Matt Smith. Him and I had a similar exchange, and in the end, I felt we both served different masters. I remember at one point I was pushing for the "distillation" of the amount of notes, nothing gratuitous, and he was countering saying, "well you have to have something to distill from". So it's a circular debate at best.

There is no one "right" way. Everyone has to discover their own "right" way, on their own terms. That's the interesting part, one's personal journey. But when you put one person's hard won "truths" in a public arena... that persons "truths" will definitely fly in the face and totally contradict another person's "truths" somewhere along the line. That's part of the beauty and mystery of it all, it's not clearly defined. Music is a giant lump of clay.

Last edited:
Music is a giant lump of clay.

So I guess I'm a Sculptor.

Wow, that sounds kind of boring compared to playing drums in a band.
Thanks Larry, now I'll have to find a different more exciting hobby.......... LOL

If I were a sculptor.....But, then again, no....

Back