Aquarian Drumheads Help

A

adamteasdale1407

Which Aquarian drumheads are good for jazz? Both batter and reso.

Preferably coated snare head, coated tom head, clear tom reso, coated bass batter.

Thanks

Aquarian Modern Vintage, Jack Dejohnette series, or plain texture coated for snare and toms. For the bassdrum, the Modern Vintage with the felt strip

You might look at the Hi-Energy snare head. I know the are marketed towards heavy hitters, but they are very responsive and will do just about anything you ask of them. I can't speak for using brushes on them as I have never tried it, but I believe the head is textured so brushes should work fine.

Agree with him on the Modern Vintage, you may indeed like them.
In the past, Ive used the Jack DeJohnette heads that they make, and theyre really awesome; crisp and very dynamic. Slightly thicker coating for brushwork..
Beyond those, just the standard Texture Coated is wonderful too- like a coated Ambassador.
Classic Clear for resos, and the coated Force 1 or DeJohnette model on kick .

I've heard good things about the New Orleans Special on snare. It's a clear head with a power-dot coating over most of it instead of a traditional coating. Not sure how it works with brushes but it might be something to try.

Aquarian texture coated is just a single ply coated head and should work fine. Aquarian makes some pretty unique heads and I suggest to give them a try. I like the Hi-energy ( not texture coated ) and the Hi-velocity but don't think they will work well for what you want.

I use either the Modern Vintage or Texture Coated heads. I get a great sound out of either combination.

I also use the Texture Coated heads on the reso side.

Aquarian Modern Vintage, Jack Dejohnette series, or plain texture coated for snare and toms. For the bassdrum, the Modern Vintage with the felt strip

Time for my 'Me Too' on this. :)

I've used all of these and my favorite for drums that will be used primarily for jazz gigs is the Modern Vintage. The Satin Texture Coated (single ply coated) and Jack Dejohnette are great heads too but not quite the same as the MV.

If you are mixing it up style wise I'd recommend the Texture coated as it is more versatile. IMO, the JDJ head is a great head for metal shelled drums. Jack has no problem with them on all of his drums. :)

Jim

Quick question, would a focus x be ok as a reso head for 12 and 16" toms. I have run out of heads and my resos are knackered.

Quick question, would a focus x be ok as a reso head for 12 and 16" toms. I have run out of heads and my resos are knackered.

I've used a Focus-X head as a reso on one of my excessively ringy floor toms. It just happened to work fine. I'm not sure it would work as well on a 12" tom. You'll have to try it and see if it takes out too much ring.

I recently, after great advice on this post, researched Aquarian Modern Vintage. They seem to be exactly what I am looking for. Mostly jazz in small venues. Waiting for my Ludwign Maple Vintage Black Oyster Pearl to arrive. Plan to take off the Ludwig heads and replace them with the Aquarian. Once again thanks for the advice!

Back