Being there on your own.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Have anyone of you lot ever gone to see a band on your own? Only looks like i'll have to because everyone else is busy and i get the feeling that this is going to be the last time i get to see a band this year and it would be really dissapointing if i didn't see anyone this year. It just seems a bit annoying that i'll have to drive all the way down to york and back (it's a 45 minute drive and i only passed 3 weeks ago lol) in the dark and hang around for 3 hours with all those people and no-one to talk to. But they're a pretty good band and i'd probably get to meet them as well because i got to meet them last time (in fact it's my MSN pic lol). The tickets are about a tenner though. So what do you think?

Yep.................numerous times.

I've been to stadium concerts, smaller venues and local pub gigs on my own before. As sad as it seems, there are times when mates are unavailable or simply not interested. I've never let this stop me from checking out a band I'm interested in seeing.

I'll agree the experience is generally better with a few in tow with you, but if you really wanna catch the act and your last chance to do it means you're on your own.......so be it!!

Go. Enjoy your own company and have a ball. I know I did!!

go! I've gone to tons of concerts by myself. I've even flown to different cities to check out bands and not known one person. I always end up meeting people, and it's really cool. I have to admit though sometimes I do bring a camera along just to keep me busy if things are awkward.

45 minutes doesn't seem too far to drive to see a band, unless they play in your area often.

Lightweight! After two weeks of driving I drove eight hours to go and see my grandparents! Grow a pair and get out there!

*removes tongue firmly from cheek*

Lightweight! After two weeks of driving I drove eight hours to go and see my grandparents! Grow a pair and get out there!

*removes tongue firmly from cheek*

Doesn't 8 hours driving in Britain take you about 10kms in distance? :p

I wouldn't drive 45mins to see a gig by myself - but it's ok cos I don't aspire to grow a pair :)

Doesn't 8 hours driving in Britain take you about 10kms in distance? :p

I wouldn't drive 45mins to see a gig by myself - but it's ok cos I don't aspire to grow a pair :)

i didn't even know it was possible to drive 8 hours anywhere in this country lol.

Well thanks for the support guys, looks like i'm going then. I'm usually a bit scared about being around a lot of people and loud noises (huh drummer forum XD) if i'm on my own and it'll probably feel really weird but hell i'm going to die anyway might as well live while i'm alive as you might have heard before.

i Well thanks for the support guys, looks like i'm going then. I'm usually a bit scared about being around a lot of people and loud noises (huh drummer forum XD) if i'm on my own and it'll probably feel really weird but hell i'm going to die anyway might as well live while i'm alive as you might have heard before.

Got a good giggle outta this one Ed...........you sure you're only going to a gig?? Sounds like you could be storming the beaches at Normandy!!

Have fun.

Got a good giggle outta this one Ed...........you sure you're only going to a gig?? Sounds like you could be storming the beaches at Normandy!!

Have fun.

haha i thought you might have thought it was a bon jovi gig lol. No all i'm saying is that i don't have a job or any college or university place i'm just studying at home so really my life lacks any sort of excitement whatsoever (check no. of posts on here, almost all in about a year and a half which probably goes to show how much time i spend on the computer). So it'll be nice to get out and do something, for once.

I've seen shows alone many times. Last time was less than two weeks ago, I went to a Porcupine Tree gig. 7 hour train ride to see a concert, no biggie :)

haha i thought you might have thought it was a bon jovi gig lol. No all i'm saying is that i don't have a job or any college or university place i'm just studying at home so really my life lacks any sort of excitement whatsoever (check no. of posts on here, almost all in about a year and a half which probably goes to show how much time i spend on the computer). So it'll be nice to get out and do something, for once.

Eddie, when you get yourself a life please be sure to report back so some of us know what it might be like.

I just got back from a weekend jazz festival which was a 3hr drive each way. I met some people up there but basically every gig I went to I sat by myself..fact is that it's uni exam time so nobody could 'afford' to go, simply put I valued seeing Ari Hoenig, Charles Toliver, Barney Mcall, Linda Oh, Ambrose Akinmusire plus others more than my essay

I probably would go on my own to a gig., although I have not been to many gigs. The only ones were three Bruce Springsteen concerts. Two were when I didn't like him, I regret not enjoying them but the third was a blast.

Go to York!!!!!

Eddie, when you get yourself a life please be sure to report back so some of us know what it might be like.

I always lol @ your comments polly thanks.

Thanks for the support guys i ordered the tickets (erm ticket) and i decided to have it emailed to me so i could print it off rather than get it posted because for all i know with the strikes it might not get here in time.

I almost always go to shows by myself.

I got tired of going to see a favorite band, and dragging someone along who maybe wasn't a huge fan, and then after seeing a fantastic show, my friends going "yeah, it was OK.. .."
It was a huge let down to be all pumped from a show, and have my buddy just drag me down because he didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

Or worse, I'd use to have an ex-girlfriend who insisted on going to every show with me, regardless if she was a fan or not. Which meant buying two tickets to everything, even if she clearly spent no time on her own ever listening to the band in question. That got supper annoying spending all the extra money just so she could say she was there, when she wasn't into the band.

So after that ended, I said screw it, I'm going to see who I like, regardless of anyone else.

And then I met my wife, she has the same feelings on the subject. We go to the shows we like independently of each other, and if we both want to see a particular show, then we go together.

I used to go and see shows by myself all the time. I got tired of going to see shows, only to be watching the show and have my date want my attention the whole time when I'm trying to watch the band (which is what I went there and paid money to do).

No worries. It only gets lonely between bands or sets, and there should be plenty to do; take a walk around the venue, read the scrawlings in the bathroom stalls, check out the merch booth/table, scope out someone wearing a shirt of another band that you like (represent!) and strike up a conversation, etc... In case all else fails, bring a book!

I used to go and see shows by myself all the time. I got tired of going to see shows, only to be watching the show and have my date want my attention the whole time when I'm trying to watch the band (which is what I went there and paid money to do).

No worries. It only gets lonely between bands or sets, and there should be plenty to do; take a walk around the venue, read the scrawlings in the bathroom stalls, check out the merch booth/table, scope out someone wearing a shirt of another band that you like (represent!) and strike up a conversation, etc... In case all else fails, bring a book!

Haha i know what you mean. The last time i went to this particular venue in question my mate said he could come only to then tell me he wasn't going on the actual day in question. So we got desperate and ended up having to ask the other friend who was going, his girlfriend. Anyway they just sort of oogled each other all night. Which was annoying but i enjoyed it nontheless. Also the toilets are a bit small but it's the sort of place where if you go in there you might catch one of the band members having a wee. I certainly did. He left the tap on though so i had to turn it off. Rockstars!

As for the stuff about ex-girlfriends, well that sucks. Obviously it's nice to spend time with your girlfriend but you shouldn't have to be forced to pay for them to go if they're not going to like the band.
I have these silly fantasies of meeting maybe a nice girl at one of these shows but of course that's not going to happen because it's just not the sort of thing you're supposed to do really. Plus it's in york which is a bit far for me right now. Not that i'm doing anything.

I go to shows and lots of other places by myself. I like meeting new people. I already know everything I need to know about my friends.

I always lol @ your comments polly thanks.

Whaaattt??? I WAS BEING SERIOUS!!!

... almost :p

If I see shows it will only be by myself if whomever was meeting there doesn't show (this happens to ppl who don't have a life).

I get too bored during the breaks and the only men who try to crack onto me at those times tend to slur and dribble. Going with friends is also good when you want a drink or attend a call of nature because you don't lose your table/spot.

I think it's best to go with other musicians or serious music fans because, as Caddy said, other people keep interrupting when you're trying to listen.

Have anyone of you lot ever gone to see a band on your own? Only looks like i'll have to because everyone else is busy and i get the feeling that this is going to be the last time i get to see a band this year and it would be really dissapointing if i didn't see anyone this year. It just seems a bit annoying that i'll have to drive all the way down to york and back (it's a 45 minute drive and i only passed 3 weeks ago lol) in the dark and hang around for 3 hours with all those people and no-one to talk to. But they're a pretty good band and i'd probably get to meet them as well because i got to meet them last time (in fact it's my MSN pic lol). The tickets are about a tenner though. So what do you think?

I go and watch bands on my own quite a lot. The problem I have is that I like quite a wide variety of music, and most of my friends are not interested in some of the stuff I listen to, the jazz stuff mainly. So mostly I will go and watch jazz on my own. I went to a classical concert on my own recently too.

Back