gretsch new classic help!

nico gomez

hi all,

well, i bit the bullet and purchsed a gretsch new classic bop kit (over the cheaper catalina club, thanks to the uk government Take It Away Scheme!)

just putting new heads on it now and tuning and was looking at the rack tom

my plan is to put the tom on a snare stand so thatit isn't hanging from a cymbal stand.. on looking closer it lookslike maybe i can't tke the mount off the tom tho!
does anyone know if this is possible? and if so, how is it done??

thanks

On the new classic, you will have to take one of the heads off and then remove the lugs that the mount is attached two. Then reinstall the lugs.

Before you do, mount the tom tom in a snare stand and see if you like the way it sounds. Sometimes it doesn't sound so good. If it squelches the sound or you like the way the tom tom resonates on the mount it already has you will save yourself some time.

thanks, do i have to find 4 new lugs do you think?
they seem pretty attached at the moment

putting it on a stand doesn't chang the sound too much to my ears, although i don't tighten the stand too tight arond the rim

I'm not exactly sure on the Gretsch mini tube lugs but if the small tube is attached to both lug points then they may screw off. If not, then you might have to replace the lugs.

I've been looking at these and I thought the ITS mounting system was one of the top features of the New Classic series.

Me too. I don't know why the OP wants to do this but tinkering is part of the fun.

honestly, try it first. anytime i've put a tom on a snare stand, it has sucked the life outta it. dead, flat, dead.

I'm not sure why to OP would want to do that either? I have the New Classic Bop kit and really like the tom mount. I wouldn't want to put the tom on a snare stand. But to each his own.

I've got Gretsch Renown and did the same thing...Took the Mount off of Rack Tom, just need to take Top Head off, Pull it off and put Head back on...I bought a Snare Stand, put Rack in there but hoops are the only thing "pinched" in...Lowest groove of hoop...Works for me, sounds just as good as with Mount...However, I do like Rack Tom sitting low so Snare Stand is limiting as to lowest Height but tilted about 15 Degrees and all good...You, in my opinion, Have one of the nicest kits available on market...Gretsch USA has a 4 Piece that is classic 16x24 9x13 16x16 6.5x14 and the finishes are beauty...I'm just ordering Ludwig Classic Maple and trying to gloss over fact to wife Renowns aren't going anywhere...My Renown Kit is the 20x22 9x12 16x16 6.5x14 but would rather have 16x24 and 9x13...Gretsch sound is the Greatest...Really awesome and I've seen Vintage 50's Kits on-line that are works of art...Really are...That's next for possible collection, If wife suddenly goes deaf, dumb and blind...Even though we bought her the Black Baby Grand she's always wanted (It is work of art as well)...To many Kits.!.Yes...You've an awesome Kit...All the Best...

Hi Rodney,

I had a Mapex kit that I put the 10" tom on a snare stand and liked that set up, with the smaller bass drum on the bop kit it was really easy to get the tom set up low and almost flat. If you do order one of these kits you won't be disappointed...for a small kit they do have the big "Gretsch Sound". Looks like you are ordering the Ludwig Classic Maple though...I've never had a chance to play one of those...wish I could.

Good luck on your collection! It's always a challenge getting more drums, hardware, and so on past our wifes! lol But there is a whole thread on that in "General Discussion"

Hello Nico,

Regarding the removal of your New Classic ISO mounts, they are not permanently attached. If you remove the lugs from the drum, there is a small Allen screw inside the screw hole where the lug screws to the shell. You can loosen the small Allen screw inside and the round parts of the lug will slide right off, and the mount can be removed.

Regards,
Gretsch Drums

hey guys, thanks for all the input

and i've managed to remove the extra metal with the use of the allen key, so special thanks to gretsch (and for the email)

there were a few reasons i wanted to do this
firstly for solidity and i'm just not keen on hanging toms from cymbal stands, especially as i like to go for lightweight stands
secondly because i often play with just a crash/ride so don't like the idea of a cymbals stand with no cymbal on it
thirdly, i think it looks cool! and i'm a charlie watts fan!

and to be honest, with the way i muffle the drums most of the time, being in a stand makes very little difference to my ears

the bigger worry is how to get the floor tom to sound better than old premier XPK one that it has replaced!!

Back