Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

I'll join the Mod party.

front.jpg

-
overhead.jpg

-
pedal.jpg

Cymbals:
Paiste 20" Traditional Medium Heavy Ride
-
Paiste Twenty 14" hats
-
Broken Sabian 16 AA sound control crash.

Iron Cobra beaters on the DW5000 = win

OK, so my cymbal addiction may seem a little apparent here, and I do own two virtually identical Gretsch Catalina Maple kits, but truly I have a good purpose.

Smaller kit is my daughter's kit and I use it for band practice at my house.
18x22 bass
6 1/2x14 snare
2 8x10 toms
2 14x14 floor toms
Zildjian Platinums (circa 1986)
20" rock ride
19" rock crash
18" rock crash
18" med crash
17" rock crash
16" rock crash
16" thin crash
14" new beats
14" quick beats
12" splash
18" china high

Larger kit is my road or gigging kit
18x22 bass
8x14 Ludwig Coliseum Snare (circa 1984)
3 9x12 toms
2 16x16 floor toms
Zildjian A
21" rock ride
20" hev crash
20" med crash
20" med thin crash
19" med crash
18" med crash
18" rock crash
16" med crash
20" china high
12" splash
14" new beats
Zildjian K
18" Dark
Sabian Paragon
20"
18"
16"
Sabian AA
19" med crash
18" rock crash
14" hi hats

I know I have a problem and my wife and drum tech say that admitting the problem, only makes it worse!!!!

John (Crash) Jones www.wolvesatthedoor.net

Attachments

• Massive Cymbals Front.JPG
    Massive Cymbals Front.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 6,119
  • Massive amount of Shiny Cymbals.JPG
    Massive amount of Shiny Cymbals.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 6,149
  • Bella Drums smaller.JPG
    Bella Drums smaller.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 6,004
  • Bellas drums daddys drums.JPG
    Bellas drums daddys drums.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 5,889
^^^ Nice! I love the Catalina Maples!

I'm sure you have had this question posed before...
Why (3) 12" rack toms and (2) 16" floors??

The only reason I can see is because you can....??

Cute pic of your daughter?,, but she may do better with a Hello Kitty kit..for now..assuming that is the daughter who owns the other Cat Maple...?

^^^ Nice! I love the Catalina Maples!

I'm sure you have had this question posed before...
Why (3) 12" rack toms and (2) 16" floors??

The only reason I can see is because you can....??

Cute pic of your daughter?,, but she may do better with a Hello Kitty kit..for now..assuming that is the daughter who owns the other Cat Maple...?

To answer question 1. Why 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms of the same size? Elementary my dear Watson. I like the tone, pitch, and size of the drum, then I tune all three to different pitches. Same for the Floor toms. What I get at the end is a symetrical looking kit tuned to the pitches I like and in the sizes I like. I really don't care for toms going from tiny to massive, unless I had about 8 or more! Then I would want the 8x7, 8x10, 9x12, 10x13, 12x14, 14x14, 15x15, 16x16, 18x18 etc... Does that make sense? The bottom line, I love the tone I can get out of the 9x12s and 16x16s. If I could design my own kit I would go old school metal sizes 8x8, 9x9, 10x10, 12x12, 13x13, 14x14, 15x15, 16x16, 18x18. I think deeper lengths really bring out the tone well.

To answer question 2. I call it her kit, I am "encouraging her" to become a drummer by calling them hers and letting her play them when she wants to. I don't ram it down her throat or tell her to practice (she is only 4) I just play a little, then she wants to, and she likes to show off to her friends and family. She isn't to the stage of developing a rythmic pulse yet, but she is getting familiar with the drums. I hope someday she will make me look like an amateur. Her mom is teaching her piano.....

John (Crash) Jones Wolves at the Door

Gretsch USA Custom
Curly Stardust Maple, with Millennium Maple Hoops and Snare
18x22 kick
10x8 rack
12x9 rack
14x14 floor
5.5x14 maple snare
6x13 hammered copper snare

Zildjian Cymbals
21" A Sweet Ride
14" K mastersound hats
9" K custom hybrid Splash
11" K custom hybrid Splash
17" K custom hybrid Crash
19" K custom hybrid Crash
17" K custom hybrid China
18" K Constantinople Crash
6" Zil-Bel

I choose different heads every few months. I think I found my sound with coated 1 ply top and clear 1 ply bottom.

How do you add a photo??????!!!!!!!??????

Well after months of searching, playing, pricing, agonizing.....and on and on. phew!

I finally decided on Gretsch, ordered the New Classic Bop kit today. I'll post real pics once I have them but the picture below is what I ordered...just the shells. I can't wait to get my hands on these!

Last edited:
Not only a New Classic but in a classic finish. I want one of those so bad I can taste it. Nice purchase Big Steve.

Well after months of searching, playing, pricing, agonizing.....and on and on. phew!

I finally decided on Gretsch, ordered the New Classic Bop kit today. I'll post real pics once I have them but the picture below is what I ordered...just the shells. I can't wait to get my hands on these!

That is sooo freagn classy!!! Is that a WMP, or an Aged White Marine Pearl? I have the Pro M VCP, and I just love pearl finishes every time I see them. Best kit (finish, sizes, lugs, GRETSCH) I've seen in a while. I'd love to have a Gretsch kt some day. Enough rambling. Enjoy your kit and please post more pic-tupela

Verry nice man! New Classics are as close to the real deal as you will get without taking out a second mortgage! Love it!

Thanks guys! I'm a bit more than excited.....tupela, that finish is called ivory marine pearl. I tried a gold sparkle in a fusion configuration at a local guitar center. The drums sounded so good. The gold sparkle is a nice finish but the imp just really caught my eye. I didn't purchase the snare....yet. I wanted to try the set with the snare I use the most lately, it's a 69 Ludwig acrolite that I like alot. Maybe get the snare in the same finish later.

OK fellow Gretsch owners, you've seen the rest now its time to show the best. Post your Gretsch kits here, and show them what makes that Great Gretsch Sound.

My Gretsch Renown Maple in Cherry Burst
22 x 18
8 x 7 rack
10 x 8 rack
12 x 10 rack
14 x 14 floor
14 x 7 Vaughcraft Steambent Snare
22 inch Masterwork Jazz series Ride
16, 17 Masterwork Jazz Series Crash
Pearl Icon 501 Rack
18 inch Sabian HHX Evolution Crash
14 inch Masterwork Jazz Series Hats
8, 10, 12 Wuhan Splashes
Pearl Icon 501 Rack

Very nice setup. What do you think of the steambent snare? I have always wanted to try one of those out.

I have 5 snares. Gretsch Catalina, my Keller piccolo, a Taye Maple, a PDP brass, and the Vaughncraft Steam bent. It has to be the best and my favorite. It can be very loud, great tuning range, and can be sensitive as well.

I have 5 snares. Gretsch Catalina, my Keller piccolo, a Taye Maple, a PDP brass, and the Vaughncraft Steam bent. It has to be the best and my favorite. It can be very loud, great tuning range, and can be sensitive as well.
You have to many snares! Haven't you heard about the four snare law that was passed in 2007? You have to give me one! Pick one and send it to me!

Last edited:
I thought under the new economic stimulus plan we were allowed 5 now.

Back