Man I cannot nail triplets

I mean that if you play along to the met set at 60 BPM, 4/4 time and play 8ths on the hats, you can play a triplet fill at either 2x the speed of the beat (first note of each would be where the HH hits fall) or at half that speed (first note of each triplet would be on the numbers). The first example is what I have been taught to call 8th note triplets and the second qtr note triplets.

Am I confused? Sensing some dissention....

I am still strugggling to get them down as well but I want to do it 4/4 so I can use it wheenver I want. The 6/8 triplets just work for me already.

I have that same problem too. I can't get it sounding really smooth when I get it up to speed. But what I work on, is just trying to get it smooth, slowly. Like I always believe, the speed will come later and getting it right is the most important thing. On some days when I play those triplets, I do get it right, then I fall into that pattern where I can't get it smooth. It just takes practice even though it'll be boring and redundant! But in the end it's worth all the hard work and redundancy!!!

Basically, you're trying to ensure that the triplets have a clear pulse on the 1, which makes sense.

But this guy seems to be playing them evenly ... and he's scary good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-p1gHyqhnw

Yes I agree with what you said, with a mod...the pulse doesn't have to start on beat 1. It makes for different feels to play with where the pulse sits in the pattern. It sounds good as ONE-trip-let...or one-TRIP-let...or one-trip-LET. It's all good

The guy plays them evenly to demonstrate, but I hear a pulse when he is "playing" them and not demonstrating them. I can't get them to sound right in the context of a song unless there is a loud, a medium, and a soft note. Plus where you decide to place the pulse determines what kind of "lope" the fill has.

Back