Rolling Stones in Hyde Park 2013

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I just caught this concert last night on Showtime. I gotta say, Mick and the boys sounded amazing. Mick actually sang really well, Charlie, was rock solid as ever, and Ronny Wood was playing some really great stuff. Mick Taylor was there, and they had a black guy playing bass, and someone on keys. Of course Keith is always Keith. It was very enjoyable, this coming from a guy who really never liked that band live. There was no schtick, no props, just great rock and roll music. They even did "Sympathy for the Devil!" Great set list, it was the best live Stones stuff I ever saw. Check it out if you are a Stones fan.

Darryl Jones, Wyman's replacement on bass and Chuck Leavel on keys.
in fact Darryl is in the same position as Ron Wood was when Woody joined the stones.
however woody became the official member (non salaried) when Wyman left.

i see no chance of Darryl becoming an official member, the sad thing is he is not being portrayed in the band pics like Woody, even before when Woody became the official member.

- just ranting :)

I don't know about Darryl Jones' status with the band, but I know that cat can play! I love hearing him lay it down with Charlie.

Darryls bass playing is rock solid and him and Charley boy locks in very well.

Wymans playing was kind of loose and his playing was the real stones kind of sound, in my honest opinion., always a slight lag with Charley's bass drum.....breaking all rules.....(if there is any)

The Stone praise Daryl from what I've seen, but I don't think he'll ever be publicized (sp?) as a member of the band. Mick, Keith and Charlie have been in for the long haul, and Ronnie is no new comer. The way the Stones have had members come and go, I think they feel it's best to keep focus on the core members. I'm sure Daryl is okay with that - I mean, the cat gets to play with the most legendary rock band ever, and probably gets paid pretty handsomely. That'd be more than enough for me.

I just caught this concert last night on Showtime. I gotta say, Mick and the boys sounded amazing. Mick actually sang really well, Charlie, was rock solid as ever, and Ronny Wood was playing some really great stuff. Mick Taylor was there, and they had a black guy playing bass, and someone on keys. Of course Keith is always Keith. It was very enjoyable, this coming from a guy who really never liked that band live. There was no schtick, no props, just great rock and roll music. They even did "Sympathy for the Devil!" Great set list, it was the best live Stones stuff I ever saw. Check it out if you are a Stones fan.

It was so nice,I had to watch it twice.They really did sound great,and well rehearsed.They also played just about everything I wanted to hear.They all played well and Charlie was just a rock.

I usually never think of him as a hitter,but he was that night.All his gear sounded great and than snare drum,was perfection..It was also nice to see more conventional crashes,and not so many chinas.

I'm glad they play "Jumpin Jack Flash" more in line with the studio version,to me it sounds better."Gimme Shelter" was also a highlight for me,because for me anyway,the "Let It Bleed" album,is one of my top 10 rock records of all time..

All in all,I was super impressed,that these guy can still sound great and rock that hard...all on their own.Pure............"Satisfaction" :):)

Steve B

Larry am surprised you generally didnt like the Stones live. They are a very " live" band and rooted in the blues. I alsonever liked the big stage schticks either.
They take a lot of piss that they are still playing at 70 but to me they always still deliver. The Shine a Light film is great too.

Saw it last night. I thought they were excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it and all it did was heighten my disappointment that I couldn't get my hands on tix for their Oz concerts next year.

in fact Darryl is in the same position as Ron Wood was when Woody joined the stones.

Doubt it. More like Bobby Keys' position. A part of the recording and touring ensemble......but not a "Stone" as such. That doesn't diminish the guy, he's great. Charlie chose him out of however many applicants for the spot. That speaks volumes. But he's a hired gun, nothing more, nothing less.

Back