Holy crap! :)

Hiya esteemed drummers,

This Saturday, I'm doing a fill-in with some guys I've played with before. They play classic rock/new wave covers from 70s-80s (Petty, Badfinger, Costello, Faces, Plimsouls, etc.) ... pretty cool mix of stuff.

So, what's the problem? ;)

These guys are really good, a level or two better than me, and they've been playing together for like 20 years. Their regular drummer can't make it ... and their previous drummer, a friend of theirs and an acquaintance of mine, died last year ... he was hugely popular with their fans/friends/local music community ... and he was really good, too.

I'm excited and nervous, even though, yes, it's just a bar gig. And I don't know what I'm asking y'all for, maybe just a couple of good vibes.

Thanks for reading this far. I gotta go listen to "Every Picture Tells a Story." Again ;)

Best,
CV

Little case of nerves? It's exciting isn't it? Keep your eyes and ears wide open, bat senses on ultra high alert. Don't get caught up too much in the emotion, you're driving the bus and need to think clearly.

Good players will only make you play better. They will PULL you UP

If you weren't good enough, they wouldn't have asked you to sit in! Don't get caught up in the "not as good as" mindset and have a blast :)
Let us know how it goes!

stay relaxed my man... and have fun

dont try to do too much ...just keep the tune feeling good

you got this....and we all have your back and have felt before what you are feeling now

remember ...this is the feeling we live for...that nervousness ...that anxiety.....the unknown. ...that excitement toward playing music with others that fuels our very souls

enjoy this nervousness because when the gig is over you will say ...I wish I stayed in the moment a bit more

be you and let them feel what your playing is all about

remember to give us an update afterward as well

now go kill it !!!!

Give it the best you can, just like on every gig. If you weren't up to it, they would not have
asked you. Louis Armstrong once said "play each gig like its the last chance you will ever
get to play". Have Fun!

Incoming! (good vibes, that is). You'll do fine, and at the end of it, you'll be sorry to see it end.

Without appearing too politically incorrect, it's like the feeling you got when you were a kid on the week preceding Christmas morning, right?

Without appearing too politically incorrect, it's like the feeling you got when you were a kid on the week preceding Christmas morning, right?

HOLIDAY morning, Larry. ;)

Hiya esteemed drummers,

This Saturday, I'm doing a fill-in with some guys I've played with before. They play classic rock/new wave covers from 70s-80s (Petty, Badfinger, Costello, Faces, Plimsouls, etc.) ... pretty cool mix of stuff.

So, what's the problem? ;)

These guys are really good, a level or two better than me, and they've been playing together for like 20 years. Their regular drummer can't make it ... and their previous drummer, a friend of theirs and an acquaintance of mine, died last year ... he was hugely popular with their fans/friends/local music community ... and he was really good, too.

I'm excited and nervous, even though, yes, it's just a bar gig. And I don't know what I'm asking y'all for, maybe just a couple of good vibes.

Thanks for reading this far. I gotta go listen to "Every Picture Tells a Story." Again ;)

Best,
CV

What an awesome problem to have, Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks all -- your posts have been very helpful.

I've been "practicing" the songs in my car on the way to/from work ... actually glad I have a 45-minute commute :)

I'll certainly let y'all know how it goes.

Thx again
CV

Re: Followup: Holy crap! :)

Hi all,

Well, your comments and well-wishes definitely helped -- I had a great time last Saturday night sitting in with my friends' band.

The bar where we played now has a picture of the band's deceased former drummer in the drummer's corner onstage. So he was kinda "looking over my shoulder" ... but I knew him, and he was a great guy, so I turned it into a positive.

The guys in the band were very helpful as we played -- good about eye contact and letting me know when songs were about to end.

And there were several crazed drunk chicks in attendance -- I'm married, but it was still fun to talk to them on our break ;)

Thanks again everyone,
Chuck

Back