Guys Please Help Me Out

Selkies

I'm a Senior in high school, and the college application process has me on pins and needles. I need to send out all of my applications and write a few essays, the problem is I'm not totally sure as to where i want to go. I'm applying at berklee, and in February i'm flying out to Boston for my total percussion audition.

To the wiser, more experienced percussionists out there, I need your advice.

Is it better to go to a University of Conservatory for music? I want to build my career out of scales and melodies. I want to play, study, and write music for the rest of my life. (but certainly not listen, thats just stupid =))

I've always wanted to go to Canada as well. I enjoy playing both classical music and Jazz.
Are there any really good schools in Canada for music that you guys know of? Preferably one that has strong classical and jazz studies programs.

Anything at all will be helpful. Anyone who has graduated college studying music and has any advice or experience they would like to lay on me, I would appreciate it very much

Thank You Drummerworld Forum

-Jake

No I don't go there, not yet. It's been a dream of mine and I plan on auditioning in the future. I've been to both campuses: North is big on media, but you want South - that's where the music happens. Theres Guelph-Humber too but let's not get into that.

It's in Toronto on the lake, about 10 mins west from downtown. The place give me gitters, theres a drumset in practically every room. As far as I know it is THE school for music in Canada - not just some cool uni, though it would be damn cool.

Good luck, word is the auditioning process is highly competitive.

http://creativeandperformingarts.humber.ca/music/music.html

Jake- I never went to school for music (unless you count the school of hard knocks ;-) ) but I know many who have. I do not want to discourage you in any way b/c I really admire you for having this goal -- but most of the people I know who've graduated from places like Berkley end up in teaching careers.

I personally believe teaching is a very noble profession, just wanted you to understand that very few graduates end up landing a gig in the symphony or touring with a jazz trio, etc.

Bottom line is: none of these gigs pay very well. Sorry to say that, but it's reality. Now, if you are like me and music is much more important to you than money, than you're in good company. Just make sure you're prepared for that. We still need food, shelter, gear and a place to practice.

That said- I say go ahead and apply to all the schools you can! Read up about them and visit the campuses that appeal to you the most.

... and let me put these last words in all caps for emphasis:

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO AUDITION, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AS COMPLETELY PREPARED AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!! KNOW ALL YOUR RUDIMENTS AND BE ABLE TO PLAY THEM AT DIFFERENT TEMPOS AND VARYING DYNAMICS. BE ABLE TO SIGHT READ BETTER THAN YOU CAN READ WORDS OUT LOUD. KNOW WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU BEFORE YOU GET THERE. SMILE, BE POLITE, BE HUMBLE, SHOW PASSION AND CONTROL IN YOUR PLAYING.

Although I had no formal training, I auditioned for the School of Performing Arts when I was a kid. I walked into the room with my ProMark 747s and a book of ROCKIN BASS DRUM beats. There was just a snare drum in the middle of the room. I asked where's the drum set? They said let's see what you can do on snare. I said "I really just play a full kit, but I'll try" and asked for a drum throne at least. Nope. Had to stand there in front of the 5 faculty members. I felt almost naked.

They said play a single roll. I played that very well and very fast.
They said play a double stroke roll. I played that slowly and poorly.
They said play a paradiddle. I played that even slower and very uneven.
They said play a Ratamacue. A what? I could not.
They said thank you and I left the room.
Never heard from them... go figure.

I had no idea what to expect. No one ever told me. But you can ask. You can surf the net for examples.

Bottom line- BE PREPARED. Good luck.

I didn't go to this school nor do I know anyone that has, but.....

The University of North Texas in Denton is typically regarded as THE place to go for Jazz. Denton is a pretty cool city to live in, too.

Back