Newbie drummer

AirworthySphinx

Well after years of wanting to learn to play drums ive finally decided to start learning and just want some advice about a few things.

Firstly due to living in a moderately small house with no room, is it feasable to learn on an electric drum kit then transition to an acoustic set, or is it better to start right away on Acousitc?

Well after years of wanting to learn to play drums ive finally decided to start learning and just want some advice about a few things.

Firstly due to living in a moderately small house with no room, is it feasable to learn on an electric drum kit then transition to an acoustic set, or is it better to start right away on Acousitc?

You can learn on an ekit mate. In days gone by, guys learned on pots and pans!!

They feel a little different to acoustic kits, but the principle's the same.

Good luck on your journey........and don't forget a good teacher.

i go back and forth between and e-kit and an acoustic kit all the time. it's definitely possible to make the transition to an acoustic kit, but expect some weirdness. i played exclusively on an e-kit for two years before getting an acoustic kit when i got back into drumming after a 20 year hiatus. when i first played the acoustic kit, my reaction was "omg! this thing is LOUD!" but not only that, acoustic drums and especially cymbals react completely different than e-kit pads to your drumsticks. expect to spend some time getting used to that when you make the transition. better yet, find an acoustic kit somewhere (school? church? friend's house?) you can play once in a while so it isn't such a shock to your system when you finally get one.

Not a problem at all, they are different but as you're staring out any practice is good practice and a roll or paradiddle totally transferable from one to another. Much the same as dairyairman after a long break I used and gigged with an E-kit for 4 years before buying an acoustic kit, they do seem incredibly loud in comparison at 1st and everything seems to be awefully far apart but 2 weeks and you can switch back and forth from one to the other without thinking !!
I still do most of my "practice" on the e-kit to be considerate to neighbours and then play along to music from time to time with the acoustic to stay familiar with it.

Back