DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Default HITTING Sticks together Accidentally ?

I have a problem where my sticks collide while playing. It even happens when I'm just playing on a practice pad. What am I doing wrong? and How do I correct this problem??

THANKS
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HITTING Sticks together Accidentally ?

Practice?

There's very little information here on you. What I'll say is that if you are a beginner and you're trying to play with nice and relaxed technique from the get go, this is bound to happen pretty frequently in most cases. It will improve.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

I still click sticks sometimes. Practice helps, I suppose. I tend to click more when I'm tired.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Your hands could be too close together. Your stick angle may deviate from being in line with your forearm. Your rebound may be going off to the side instead of bouncing up.

The important thing is to maintain as much as a separation between your hands as you can comfortably can.

Or you could arrange magnets on each stick so they repel each other :)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Post a video of your playing so we can tell if there's a setup or sitting issue.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of practice.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Practice and slow down until you get better at it. Consistency will get better with time but only if you slow down and get right a little at a time.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Without seeing your technique, my guess is that the problem is with your fulcrum. A good diagnostic of this issue is to play a single stroke and allow the stick to rebound fully by releasing the stick with your non-fulcrum fingers. If the stick does not bounce straight back, or the sticks path is inconsistent, then you know you need to work on your fulcrum. A poor buzz roll can also be an indicator of an underdeveloped fulcrum.

As far as how to work on this problem, working on your buzz roll and drag rudiments will be helpful. Another great exercise to work on your fulcrum control directly is to play single strokes using just your fulcrum (usually done in French grip).
Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Practice and slow down.

When I first started, I swear I used to hit everything but the drum heads. I'd love to know how many times I hit the rims those first weeks.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I realize I didn't give enough information so I'll add a few more facts:

I played drums for almost 20 years before stopping and not playing at all for 24 years. I started playing at 15 yrs old & stopped in my early 30's. I was a rock drummer because I never could get relaxed enough to play jazz, even though I really wanted to.

I started playing again about two & a half years ago and it was almost like I had never played before. After 24 yrs of never touching sticks, I could barely keep a beat. But I practiced hard 4 to 6 hours every day and after a little more than a year, I started doing things that I never could do before. I now play so relaxed that sometimes the stick falls out of my right hand. I wonder if that is why my sticks hit each other sometimes.

I'm am now 60 yrs old & not in the best condition so I don't play with the power I use to have. I recently played my first live gig (4 hrs long - 10:pm to 2:am) since returning to drums & after the 3rd hour I was exhausted. Thank God we didn't have to play the last set because I really could not have done it. The last song was easy, but it still took all of my will power to just keep the beat till the end of the song.

As soon as the weather cools down, I will get outside & improve my physical condition. I can play all day at home practicing, but playing live takes a lot more out of me. Factor in all the time setting up & the almost 100 degree heat here in N.O. with 100% humidity so thick you can drink it, and I have spent half of my energy before I've played the first song.

Well THANKS again and I hope this additional info helps.

CHEERS....BILL
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the added information. 3 hours is a long set for anyone, even in a less humid climate.

Playing too loose still sounds to me like poor fulcrum control, and I think that some focus in that area might improve things. If you are looking to increase your endurance, getting in better shape will undoubtedly help, but there are drum set specific things you can do as well.

Most people have heard the following aphorism (or something similar): "when playing, seek out the path of least resistance." We all know that we should play as relaxed as possible, but I believe that the inverse message is equally useful: "when practicing, seek the path of most resistance." Developing a high ceiling of endurance and technical ability will make everything you do on the drums that much easier.

Cheers,
Connor